Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2023 World Athletics Championships, Budapest

• 14-08-2023 3:57am
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,527 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Here's to hoping for a cracking championships!

Downloadable timetable

Entry list by event and season's best

Some decent medal hopes for Ireland, with Rhasidat Adeleke providing our biggest chance.

We'll be spoilt for choice as to what channels to watch it on with Virgin Media, BBC, Eurosport and (I presume) YouTube all providing comprehensive coverage.

Really looking forward to this one, particularly as I have tickets to the opening weekend.

Hope we see some great races!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭djemba djemba

Looking forward to seeing what kind of production virgin media produce. Haven't heard about any hosts, pundits, commentators involved so I wonder will it just be the global feed.

Good to see them back on irish tv regardless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,913 ✭✭✭deisedude

Virgin Media do sport on the cheap. They dont do outside broadcasts so would expect the world feed for video and commentary.

At a push they might go back to Dublin to a few people in studio but I doubt it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,855 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Which Virgin Media station has it? Can't see it on the sky guide.

I take youtube is also streaming this, so probably a better option

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

I thought the youtube streams are generally only available in countries which don't have a TV station broadcasting already? Could be wrong though

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,527 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Eilish McColgan has withdrawn from Budapest. Disappointing but unsurprising, it's all been pretty quiet on the training front recently.

Meanwhile, Sifan Hassan has confirmed on Insta that she's doing the triple again. Insanity I think, she's not as fit as two years ago and the fields are stronger.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,136 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Had hoped to travel over to this but wasn't able to get the time off, looking forward to it, though the constant stream of athletes dropping out to "focus on Paris" is a bit of a disappointment and does nothing to promote the sport.

There are only so many major championships you get an opportunity to run in a career it seems crazy to be opting out of a world champs a year out from the Olympics.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,717 ✭✭✭Enduro

But it's her "insanity" that is one of the things that makes her one of the most interesting athletes out there. It's also brilliant entertainment. Long may it continue! (I think I can safely say I'm a fan!)

She does so much for athletics, others should follow her, looking at a few american female runners!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭djemba djemba

Oh don't get me wrong, she's brilliant to watch and amazing for the sport. I'm a big fan. Just imagine if Athing Mu and Sydney McLaughlin had even 10% of her dedication to athletics, as average_runner alluded to above.

As to how she'll do, I think she'll still probably win the 10k, I don't think running a 1500 heat in the morning will hurt her that much. I think she'll take a bronze in the 5k, and might snatch a medal in the 1500. Although this also depends on how fast the 10k ends up being, wouldn't be surprised if Hassan has to run sub 29:30 to win it.

Also forgot to mention that Hassan is entered the Chicago marathon in a few weeks, in a race where Ruth Chepngetich will be attempting to break the WR. Hassan being Hassan I can't see her not going with that pace. As I said, insane!

Post edited by yerwanthere123 on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,531 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Anyone doing the Letsrun prediction contest? I set up a boards.ie group, if you want to give it a pop. https://www.letsrun.com/news/2023/08/2023-world-outdoors-prediction-contest/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭4Ad

On the plane in Shannon, I have never been to an Athletics meet before of any description...

I have tickets for 5 sessions..

The excitement.....

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,136 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

After entering all my womens picks i get the below error :

We detected malicious behavior. Please email letsrun@letsrun.com if this is in error. (CSRF)

I know how you feel! I've been in Budapest since late Wednesday night and, whilst it's a great city to explore, I'm feeling impatient and like I'm just trying to kill time until the main event tomorrow. Getting excited now 😁

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,531 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Strange. Not even sure I'm in it myself, as created the group after submitting my picks.

I'll give it another go later anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,454 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

I thought live coverage was starting at 8am on Virgin Media 2. It even says it on their app. But The Chase is on 🤔

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,913 ✭✭✭deisedude

Same. BBC2 coverage starts at 9

Edit: Athletics Ireland posted a delay to the 20k walk start time of 2 hours due to thunderstorms

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Slow_Runner

Start delayed by an hour due to thunderstorms

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Are Eurosport and Virgin showing different events?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,082 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Jaysus looks like a washout at the moment.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Yintang

I just switched to BBC and listened to an extremely awkward dialogue from Steve Cram and Paula Radcliffe about Nikki Hiltz. Didnt catch the beginning of the conversation but they both looked very uncomfortable.... Was there something else going on?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 783 ✭✭✭marathon2022

Andrew Coscoran is in the last heat with a couple of really fast guys. Not a bad draw, Kipsang and Nuguse will know at that stage what's needed to move on and if he can slide into their wake its not beyond him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,125 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Apart from Steve tripping over his pronouns I thought it was a good segment. Really interesting to get an insight into a specific example where a non-binary identity has helped someone reach their potential.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭hawkwing

Great leg by Mawdsley to drag them back

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,454 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

4x400 m mixed relay team have qualified for the final tonight

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭hawkwing

Sneaked into the final thanks to Mawdsley, will Adeleke take part...

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Ireland through to the final. Great stuff.

Mawdsley has been running like that in relays for years. She just seems to find another gear. Vastly underrated and is a vital cog if Irish 4x4s are going to do anything on the world stage alongside Rhasidat.

Advertisement