Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National Beef Welfare Scheme (NBWS).

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,651 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

They are a pain in the hole when finishing as well as in pens. I have bought about 10-15 and I am thinking of getting them skulled the day of the herd test.

Slava Ukrainii

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

The weather is not really conducive to skulling at the moment... too many flies around.

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

• Registered Users Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭Anto_Meath

By talking to vets they don't seem to have any information on the ibr testing. Looks like the department didn't consult them....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,258 ✭✭✭Sami23

Is it in the T&C's that weaning has to be done by November as think it was mentioned here ?

I can't see it in the T&C's myself. If it is I'll be giving this scheme a miss as April calving here so don't usually wean until Christmas.

I was going to just do the meal feeding and take the 10% penalty on the IBR.

Post edited by Sami23 on

• Registered Users Posts: 4,032 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

For this scheme do we pay the vet and get the full reimbursement later, or is it like the genomic tagging where the lab/vet are paid by the Dept and we get the payment less this cost

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

you pay the vet and you get the money when the scheme pays out

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Fotish

The farmer pays the vet and the Dept pays the farmer.

The Deptartment pays €300 for 20 bovines so there should be some profit for the farmer , hopefully the vet

doesnt charge the full €300.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,798 ✭✭✭mr.stonewall

Instead of venting here, I emailed the scheme bws@agriculture.gov.ie raising the issues around later calving herds that wean later, not being eligible for the scheme.

We have to remember that approx 1 million calves we registered from late March to the end of June. Sucklers would make up a big number of these and no facilitiating these is a serious oversight by DAFM. The more emails they get the more they have to consider change going forward. I would encourage others similar to my system that are not eligible to do so

I got a reply that it was being passed up the line and will be replied to.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

Looks like the scheme is from 1 July 22 to 30 Jun 23 reference period. A late calf born here is included in the scheme, well weaned at this stage.

It's the late spring 2023 born are the issue. If they follow the same dates next year, calves born April to June 2023 will not be eligible.

We have to remember the key metric that the Icbf uses is the 200 day weight as the standard this is where they see the median weaning age. So we have a welfare scheme which is promoting weaning of suckler calves from 120 days to 180 days. Some fantastic joined up thinking

• Advertisement

i cant believe the work some of ye are making with this scheme . All you have to do is bloodtest 20 cattle and have a receipt for meal . if you dont want to bloodtest the cattle or buy the meal dont join the scheme

So you buy the ration as per the scheme dates and wean when it suits you. If it dose not suit you forget about it. Lads always see the problem not the solution.

Talking to a kad today that will have a herd test in ten days time. He was all over the place about the IBR. All he has to do is check if his herd test date will be applicable. If not move the test on. Get the vet to take the bloods.

If it suits use it if not do not

Post edited by Bass Reeves on

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 844 ✭✭✭dohc turbo2

Neighbour did bloods for scheme. 2 weeks ago while testing, wasn't a problem

• Registered Users Posts: 2,258 ✭✭✭Sami23

But my question still stands - is it in the T&C's that weaning has to be done by November ?

I was asking a question and not venting anything

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Fotish

To answer you specific query --- it is not in the terms and conditions that weaning must be done by November.

My advice would be to get the blood testing done ,note the weaning dates and keep your meal feeding receipts.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭amens

Why do you have late born calves in the first place? Calves should be born in february and early march in a six week period so that they can be all treated as one group and take advantage of the full grazing season. The department is only incentivizing best practice by rewarding those that are doing things right. Remove the bull or stop using AI after a certain date and there will be no late calves.

I'm a bit different, on heavy ground and only start calving on April 1st. Have done it for the past 8 years after an outbreak of crypto and rota together. It means outdoor calving, no bedding, livelier calves and more importantly less labour. It's still compact calving. Less than 6 weeks for the past number of years.

Breeding started the 20th June and has finished already. So I ask the question am I doing it right compared to someone calving now, or October or December or February. The scheme is open for calves born from July to the end of June, but it's the later ones that are being penalised

It's says all actions have to be completed by November 1st. That's meal feeding pre and post weaning coupled with the IBR testing

This is page 10 of the terms and conditions

• Registered Users Posts: 8,993 ✭✭✭893bet

I dont think it explicitly states calves need to be fully weaned by the 1st Nov

From my reading of the terms it’s just the blood test that is required by 1st November. That date is a called out in the IBR section. But not in the meal feeding section.

• Advertisement

My reading is the opposite as it mentions actions in the plural sense. And the scheme has 2 actions to undertake, meal feeding and IBR. Clarity from DAFM would be helpful

If you look at the individual section the 1st of November is mentioned in the IBR sectio specifically. No date is mentioned in the meal feeding section just that meal is need 2 weeks before and 4 weeks after.

I had thought the same as you initially but logically it’s just the IBR as from a welfare point of view weaning early for a scheme makes no sense even.

Agree clarification might come, I might apply and just do the meal feeding. It will buy a 1/3 of a tonne of organic feed……. But sher every little helps.

The above image is from the application section, which is followed by the individual actions in more depth.

If, we here in boards are having difficulties in making sense , clarification is badly needed at national level. Similar to you I would consider it,

Reading the conditions of a department scheme requires legal training to properly interpret it. I haveinga a similar issue with the TAM's scheme at present in it's interpretation.

However I expect that the reality is if your paper work is correct ( receipts for ration purchased before November) you will get paid unless you get an inspection on November 2nd which is unlikely.

Actually this scheme will be similar to the silage scheme the inspections will be afterwards. Even with April/May born calves I would have weaning completed by November and use any extra condition on the cows to save wintering costs and molly coddle the weanlings to achieve targets. At weight of 250+ ( which they should be) milk from cows should be supplying limited thrive.

The only real sting would be if you normally sell off the cow in late November/ December.

On your system of late calving, I tend to agree with it. With rota and crypto, the hassle of indoor calving, the cost if straw in non tillage areas, the requirements for quality silage if cows are feeding calves indoors for 6-10+ wees and the low profitability of sucklers anyway it probably makes little difference margin wise to your system if you take roto and crypto costs and extra work into account

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Jack C

From terms and conditions;

"Twenty samples are considered to provide an adequate estimate of within herd prevalence, which in turn informs the next steps in decision making at herd level –for example whether an IBR control programme is necessary for the herd.

The collected blood sample from the snapshot samples must be submitted to an ISO 17025 accredited laboratory for testing of bovine serum by ELISA for IBR gE antibodies. The snapshot sample will be transmitted to the ICBF database where they will be available on a herd level dashboard to the farmer and PVP(where the farmer has previously granted access to the PVP). The PVP will provide professional interpretation of the results that will be fed back to the herdowner"

Does this mean that the vet takes 20 samples but then only sends one pooled sample away to lab. If so, then the lab part of the cost shouldn't be much.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭Diarmuid B

No it’s twenty individual samples and they’re all tested separately, there’s no pooling of bloods

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Katie 2018

Got prices of what it's going to cost me.60euro vet cost.5euro per sample.5euro lab cost.have 20 animals to do so il be getting 40euro out of whole thing🤑🤑

• Registered Users Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

Tried to sign up there. Selected which scheme I wanted but can’t click anything after that

anybody else have a similar problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,330 ✭✭✭Dunedin

You know nothing about sucklers. Stick to what you know. I calve 20 cows in Jan and Feb. 14 bales of straw. No crypto or rota nor do I vaccinate for either. Cows and calves out in March.

• Advertisement

march and april is when you get the scours in my experience . wouldnt like to have too many cows out in march in the west of ireland

Advertisement