Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTÉ admits paying Tubridy €345,000 more than declared

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

Tubs should now move on and prove his 'talent' is worth it on other shores.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,437 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

He might be getting advice off Enoch Burke on how to stage a peaceful protest.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭Field east

GT was obliged to confine its report to financial matters only and who was ‘ responsible’ for the decisions made and why they were made. It was not mandated to report on the nuances around what happened like RT could have gone public on what his salary actually was and refer to the Renault element . After all he is a VERY SEASONED ADULT, he knew that there was NATIONAL CAP of €500,000 per year on ALL salaries - including bank managers- and he chose to REMAIN SILENT. So, IMO , he should not be taken back because of a ‘ sin of omission’. I think GR should have included in it’s report that RT apparently conspired to keep the lot under raps by keeping quiet and by not going public to explain what he thought was the correct situation.

It is not good enough to say that we -NK included- told RTE that it’s reporting on RT salary was not correct so we ‘did our best’. Tubridy and Kelly used the same strategy at the committee meetings by saying ‘we did what RTE asked us to do’ - after all , it was our boss and we are a very small company.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,673 ✭✭✭Trampas

No word from nk yet. Are they in worried as their golden goose that’s rte might be gone to intensive care and might not survive

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,333 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

People celebrating because Bakhurst ego took a bruising and he's extended RTs timeout as punishment.

RT still getting paid collasal money to do nothing and Bakhurst saying he'll be back at an undisclosed date.

It's a golden circle jerk lads. There's no backbone. There's Egos, nepotism and greed. All being funded by you, you and me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭tom23

He is not really gone gone now is he? Just an extended time on the bold step.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,632 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Exactly. Surely the BBC and major US networks are clamouring for him to grace them with his services.

Maybe now he can present the Oscars?

Sean o rourke came back under’ some minor guise’ but RT is a totally different ballgame

• Registered Users Posts: 17,510 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

RT quick to speak out before but now not a word outta him

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭newcavanman

North Norfolk Digital night shift beckons for the ' Most Trusted'

Maybe Ryan can start podcasts giving moral lectures to the Irish ppl?

He is well versed at speaking on behalf of the nation from on high and “telling off” his audience..

He is “the most trusted man in Ireland” after all...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

I wouldn’t be so sure of that. The real fallout within RTE from this fiasco hasn’t fully transpired yet in terms of cuts to pay, conditions and programming.

I imagine the new DG factored in heavily the “split” he mentioned last night amongst staff to RTs return in his decision.

Tubridy just has too much baggage at this stage : his agent, creating toxicity in workplace, lack of trust with the public…

Ryans milquetoast talent clearly couldn’t offset the cons above. He’s just not worth it.

Im not sure this is going to change in a few months.

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭newcavanman

Brendan O Connor is now a pale imitation of what he once was as a broadcaster. His chatshow was a breadth of fresh air. THE Cutting edge was brilliant but since he replaced St Marian he has become a total insider, toeing the party line at all times.

Obviously a man who knows that RTE is the last chance saloon in irish media, so just keep the head down and don't rock the boat

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭Higgins5473

Do you not think that Bakhurst comments about the door being open were just tokenism, trying not kick him more while he was down. You’d have to be one seriously pathetic individual with zero pride to come crawling back after this. Even for a fella with some menial unskilled and low paid job you would be giving the two fingers to your ex employer to hang on to some dignity. Tubridys colossal ego and his bottomless pit of self obsession wouldn’t dream of returning, he’d be a laughing stock, more so that is,

Another idea for Noel and Ryan -

“Toyman: the Musical”

Such is the popularity of Ryan with Irish children, and of course his special bond with them -

Croke Park should be block booked for the month of December for what is sure to be a hugely popular and successful musical featuring the golden tones of none other than the Toyman - Ryan Tubridy.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭TruthorBust

Bakhurst has made it clear that Tubridy had no appreciation of how angry his colleagues are with him. He has spent all his life as the anointed special one and has zero self awareness. Even after his 2 previous statements and his committee appearances went down badly he still couldn’t resist issuing a statement defending himself and telling us about all the cards and words of support he is getting. Memo to Tubridy; nobody gives a toss

His colleagues will now all have their pay cut at next review…….warranted in most cases but not all cases to be fair. And no doubt Tubridy won’t be able to join the dots and see how he bears huge responsibility for this. He will carry on in his “everybody loves me” bubble

I’m having a few pints later to celebrate the demise of this creep

A key point to always bear in mind is the fact that Tubridy doesn’t actually think he’s done anything wrong. Lying about Renault payments etc. He believes this is “cancel culture” and a “witch-hunt”.

This is evident in his inability to convey any kind of accountability or contrition and it’s the reason he’s been kicked to the curb. He will never be able to fully accept this. It’s a real insight into his off air persona.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,328 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

I am not so sure. He scuppered his return himself and that angered more than Bakhurst I would imagine. He tried to rewrite the narrative and leave himself blameless. Tubs looks very foolish now indeed. And arrogant but we all knew that.

He may get a job as a TV license inspector.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,443 ✭✭✭✭Water John

KB said the door wasn't fully shut. that's diff to saying the door is open. Think €170K was about right. Seems From this morning's KB interview, they didn't dwell on the past in the future negotiations, but that each should accept their responsibility and by issuing the statement RT hadn't really accepted that position. It's also clear that he didn't take on board that a significant section of RTE staff didn't want him back, which says a lot.

Also that €170K now is the benchmark in all future contract negotiations within RTE. The other nine top earners I'm sure are very thankful to RT for their wage adjustment. Willing to accept less than half his previous wage, which was already reduced from the mad levels of 10 years ago, says a lot.

This realism may be one element in saving RTE and PBS.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,037 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

Ah , pure “spat my tea out reading that” ..comment😂-Class!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,487 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

I agree with your view on the Backhurst comments.

I especially noted his response when asked about Tubridy going to other broadcasting outlets, he indicated that Tubridy was free to go ahead and accept any offers incoming,and did not show too much concern.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,487 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

He didn’t say he’ll be back, he said the door wasn’t closed forever, which is a totally different thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

And how did PK deal with it? He didn't open his mouth. No public statements, no taking to twitter. He has been quiet all summer long. Not seen nor heard from.

One might even say he was "self aware".

• Registered Users Posts: 4,333 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

It's really not. It was marketing speal. If it meant what you think it meant it would have been along the lines of 'if he does return it wont be to his previous role/slot/show' etc

Let’s just say for arguments sake that Ryan was coming back on Sept 4 and think of the likely effects.

1. No way would he have the same audience as before. I’d image 1/3 of his audience will turn the dial. Maybe even more. Almost certainly less than what Callan currently draws.
    2. Any kind of public facing messaging about internal reform to restore licence fee would face a far steeper uphill battle.
    3. Resentment amongst staff would remain and impact morale, productivity etc.

Is Tubridys crazy talent really worth all the above?

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭Westernview

Wouldn't agree that he's a pale imitation of what he was. I think he has just matured. He was much younger then and was probably trying to make a name for himself. He is in his 50s now and I don't there would be that much appetite for him now if he had still the same style.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Lios67

It’s often the case when people get things too easy , too young, they don’t realise how good they have it and don’t appreciate how fortunate they are. Plenty of smoke being blown up not helping either. Retiring from the LLS at 50 and getting paid to go on holidays was to be the future. The final show was tacky, the obligatory U2 appearance, for what? , to get a pressie. Some fall in fairness.

Wonder how much tubs “advisors” were paid for the leaks 😂

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,037 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

He avoided or rather side stepped a question on morning Ireland around Tubridy returning in the future- I know he doesn’t want to get caught up on when he thinks the right time will be because then the speculation will start so correct to say nothing, no less that it would make his current decision look like just a total farce.

I think you and the other poster are right though- he doesn’t want Tubridy back and I don’t think we’ll see Tubridy back under this DG.

And that might be the making of Tubridy who knows- I think he’ll make some great documentaries on Irish History with independent media companies and sell them to RTÉ and BBC NI and be very successful doing that - I’d say he had planned to do that with RTÉ but that train has now left the station.

From a radio perspective, I’m thinking some sort of Arts show type programme like what Mike Murphy used to do -maybe on Newstalk- not the worst thing in the world and it would get a daycent following but wouldn’t be paying anything close to 170k a year.

Tubridy is not nor was ever suited to current affairs - Pat Kenny is probably the master of current affairs and Tubridy is no Pat Kenny.

Tubridy developed this strange “be kind” sort of persona that was just sounded pathetic and preachy after a while - I think he needs to reverse out of this cul de sac and start again down a different road- he has time to do that but I just can’t think right now what his USP would be that would make him attractive to another tv or radio station - he’ll get offers but he needs to take the right one.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement