Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What does the future hold for Donald Trump? - threadbans in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,773 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Trump - I am completely innocent of all charges and I cannot wait to be vindicated at trial!

Also Trump - could you put the trial back to 2026 please?

His ramblings make Grandpa Simpson's sound cogent...

• Registered Users Posts: 83,357 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

It was going to be incredible, you were going to be amazed at what he had uncovered. I don't need to show it to you, but they should show it.

• Advertisement

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

It’s amazing that even DeSantis is starting to lick his hole again now.

How amazing that we live in a world where Paul Ryan and Liz Cheney stuck to their guns and walked away, becoming among the most respected Republicans in the party.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,330 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

I perfectly understand why a lot of "Rustbelt" Trump voters gave them their x in 2016. He was telling them what they wanted to hear and over the years they've become increasingly abandoned by both parties in the US. But Trump lied to them, just liked he's lied to everyone else. He used these people for his own ends.

Thing is, in the 2020's, there's just no excuse whatsoever to be a Trump supporter. We all know who he is. We all know what he is. We all know the damage he does. Giving that piece of shit your x is like going back to the shark that bit off your left arm just to give him a bite on your right arm.

But, yes, it really is a tragedy that poor people across America see this vile dirtbag as the solution to their problems. Desperate people in poverty turning to a man who lives in a golden tower who's only interested in using them for his own gain.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭Cody montana

Prosceutors are seeking 33 years in prison for Proud Boys leaders Enrique Tarrio and Joe Biggs. 

Also: 30 years for Zach Rehl and 27 years for Ethan Nordean.

They want 20 years for Dominic Pezzola.

F**k around and find out

• Registered Users Posts: 33,815 ✭✭✭✭Penn

They should run for election. As we all know, doing so means you can't be prosecuted for any crime, because it could just further political divide, and really, America needs to heal. Let people decide at the ballot box, rather than holding people accountable for the crimes they've been proven to have committed.

FOR THE RECORD, I'M NOT A TRUMP SUPPORTER!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,642 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

When you pine for the days of the NeoCon you recognise how far the GOP has fallen from its former status as the party of economic conservatism. They and the Tories: how have former traditionally sober parties got it all so long, and become so entrenched in mania?

Thing is, in the 2020's, there's just no excuse whatsoever to be a Trump supporter

There is one - however illogical and tenuous it may read: you support Trump 'cos want a king. Or a despot, same difference. Not like there isn't a cohort of Americans who are just obsessed with the British monarchy; while we've seen an equally hardened obsession with political or business dynasties - be they Clinton, Kennedy Trump or whoever. Deference to their whims is kinda baked in. Christ the narrative for Hillary in 2016 was that it was "her turn". I will always pivot back to Season 6 of The Simpsons from 1995(!!). As daft as it might seem to be, it tracks even to this day:

Your guilty conscience may force you to vote Democratic, but deep down, you secretly long for a cold-hearted Republican to lower taxes, brutalize criminals and rule you like a king 

I absolutely stand by that otherwise satirical comment & think to this day you see that mentality with Donald Trump; some Americans want to be ruled.

And again, Trump would behave in a manner befitting an autocrat without trying. Ignoring debates and the court of public opinion is the style a bully and tinpot autocrat would take, like he was beyond and above it all. Sure, thre's no law saying you have to take part in these debates, but to not to is to basically say you are an exception to be treated differently.

Post edited by pixelburp on

DeSantis' debate strategy memo was leaked, indicating that he should defend Trump if Christie attacks him, by pointing out that Trump isn't here to defend himself etc, as well as say he voted for Trump previously because he respected him yadda yadda yadda.

The only way DeSantis can win is by placing himself to be where Trump supporters go if Trump pulls out of the race.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,222 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

He cancelled the presser! Probably on his lawyer’s recommendation since he’s already incriminated himself enough.

But their instigator and leader shouldn't be jailed, apparently

Yep, so DeSantis adopts the position of a replacement of Trump, while Christie the position of someone "anti-Trump".

All bases covered.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,078 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

It's a long thread so I'm SURE it's been asked and answered before but is DeSantis looking to brown nose for the VP nomination?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,425 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

So for the Jan 6th case, the judge stipulated that if trump breaks federal or state law, he'll revoke his bail privileges and be jailed. Considering that the case is being tried in DC, if he breaks Georgia state law for his Fanni Willis/Georgia case, will that mean he's broken the conditions of his bail for the DC case

I doubt it. I'd say Trump's VP is more than likely going to be a woman. I think most of those running are doing so to either be there in case Trump does end up pulling out, or just to raise their own profile for higher positions in a GOP government and stake their claim for running again in the future.

DeSantis at one point was a possible threat to Trump for the nomination, but he's completely shat the bed. Now he's too far in to drop out, and so long as Trump is in the race he's the primary target for Trump's jabs, forcing DeSantis into a position of looking weak against Trump because he still needs to placate Trump's base.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,628 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

I think that could be Plan C.

Plan A to win the nomination looks like a bust as long as Trump is in the mix.

Plan B is to get the nomination because Trump is ko'd from it, hoovering up Trump supporter votes.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,941 ✭✭✭randd1

| Plan B is to get the nomination because Trump is ko'd from it, hoovering up Trump supporter votes. |

I thought DeSantis was against any form of Plan B?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,585 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

This is the thing I really don't understand about all the people running for the GOP nomination (other than Chris Christie).

Trump is leading DeSantis by 40%+ and the rest are a good deal further back.

You aren't going to win over Trump voters by telling them that Trump is great and is a victim - You probably aren't going to win over Trump voters no matter what you do tbh.

The only shot is to try to coalesce the Never-Trump and the "Not sure about Trump" voters around you as the single opposition candidate.

According to polling a pretty decent number of Republicans think the charges are valid and a majority have an unfavourable view of Trump.

So why not go after him ??

Have they all just accepted defeat and are just playing for a VP Pick or a seat in future Cabinet??

Neither of those are viable for DeSantis , so why isn't just going full bore after him??

I mean , their opponent is facing 90+ charges and is currently out on bail in 3 different jurisdictions , about to be 4 and NONE of them are willing to use that against him??

• Registered Users Posts: 13,455 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Question for choice of VP always comes down to 'what votes does it help me get that otherwise I may not get?' and 'what states does it help me win that otherwise I may not win?'.

To a large extent that means picking someone that doesn't necessarily correlate with you exactly - so rookie black young gun Obama picks middle-aged experienced white politician-for-life Biden, and later by now elderly politician-for-life Biden picks young black female Harris. Maybe that's more of a democrat party thing (Mondale/Ferraro, Hilary/Kaine) though McCain/Palin was a GOP example.

Realistically, Trump should win Florida regardless so having RDS on the ticket isn't a big help. They are surely too 'samey' to be able to get votes from a wider cross-section of American society. A somewhat liberal-leaning slightly mixed-race female from the West coast would be his ideal pick, though I don't know who that means.

"So why not go after him ??"

people forget that the GOP was hacked, along with the Dems. It does sound like a conspiracy theory, but perhaps he has the info on all of them? It certainly would explain the behaviour of folk like Graham.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,585 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

He isn't interested in the usual logic for VP picks - He went with Pence in 2016 on the advice of the GOP Grandees and in his mind Pence f*cked him so he won't do that again.

Not a chance in hell he picks someone with their own profile or ability to theoretically upstage him.

Trump wants a Telegenic doormat as his VP that will parrot his bullshít and smile when he says something "funny".

Kari Lake was a possibility , but think she might be a bit too mouthy for Trumps liking . Same for MTG - Too much personal profile and too mouthy.

Kristie Noem is a definite possibility - She's "Conservative GOP Attractive" in that Stepford wife kind of way they all have and she appears to be genuinely vacuous , but she's done enough nasty things as Governor to have some street cred with the crazies.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,457 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

It was the same with Trump and Pence. He needed pence to get the religious types on board.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,542 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Names and addresses of Georgia grand jurors posted online. The intimidation well underway.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2023/aug/17/georgia-grand-jurors-information-posted-rightwing-websites?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Other

Exactly, and without a Pence to appeal to the "normal" Christian voters, and not the MAGA types, he will need similar.

But he won't.

He will go with someone as crazy as himself and will therefore guarantee that he will lose.

Trump doesn't think he needs anybodies help so any arguments about him needing someone to balance out the ticket etc. etc. will be utterly ignored.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,874 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I read this as "antibodies' help". Presumably, he believes in antibodies.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Advertisement

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement