Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭IdHidden

An Irish filmmaker who has spent close to seven months documenting the war in Ukraine has spoken about a near-death experience and witnessing scenes "we haven't seen since World War II" on the frontlines.”

https://www.rte.ie/news/primetime/2023/0817/1399844-irishman-returns-from-frontline-ukraine/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭Lirange

South Africa: Has a more diverse population than Nigeria. Would expect most of the white population + much of those non-aligned with the ANC to be less predisposed to Putin or a campist mindset.

India: There is a lot less resentment towards the west at play here than you might think. India, and this started well before Modi, has strengthened ties with Russia and not just economically. In past polls the population has had favourable views of both the US and Russia. Which makes it a bit of an outlier (see below). Although often grouped with the other brics as a projected counterbalance to the west India is strongly aligned with the west against China. The populace has a more negative outlook on China vs polls re: attitudes toward western countries where views have been generally mixed to positive.

https://www.orfonline.org/research/the-orf-foreign-policy-survey-2022/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,751 ✭✭✭zv2

"It's stuff we haven't seen since World War II." Bray native Finn Boylan has spent close to seven months documenting the war in Ukraine, including his own close brush with death. Watch @rtephilip's full report on Prime Time at 9.35pm on @RTEOne

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” — Voltaire

On the face of it this seems like a lightening arrest but all the camera angles suggest it is well thought out and choreographed. Propaganda?

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” — Voltaire

• Registered Users Posts: 8,455 ✭✭✭jmreire

Maybe its a re-enactment as you suggest, but if so, it mimics the real thing. Vehicle drives along by the foot path, stops, doors open and armed men jump out and grab some one. All done very quickly, and normal life returns, same as if nothing had happened.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,278 ✭✭✭thomil

Two IRIS-T SLS SAM systems, a short-range version of IRIS-T SLM, have been handed over to Ukraine. They're part of a commitment of 22 total such systems by the German government.

IRIS-T SLS is in use with the Swedish armed forces and consists of simply of a quadruple missile launcher mounted on a Swedish BV 410 articulated APC, meaning that it's able to keep up with advancing mechanized forces, so that should improve air cover for some of the ongoing offensives, especially once more systems get delivered. What's more, IRIS-T SLS uses the unmodified IRIS-T missile that is also used on the Eurofighter, which means additional missiles should easier to come by than IRIS-T SLMs, which have a larger booster.

Source: Military support for Ukraine | Federal Government (bundesregierung.de)

(Word of caution, you're going to have to scroll a lot. That list is pretty massive at this point)

Good luck trying to figure me out. I haven't managed that myself yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭thereitisgone

Royalcelt

Think you asked earlier why news on twitter has gone so silent

Its even more quiet now

Last time this happened was the Kharkiv offensive last September when nobody really knew what was happening and then the news came out about the massive gains

Hoping its the same this time, today has been unbelievable with the news blackout compared to even then

Maybe something, Or not

Lets see in next few days

If you look at the point where they force him to the ground the cameras switch seamlessly as if everything was in place beforehand. Hard to see how this would happen if it was a spontaneous arrest.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,930 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

Possibly, but word of caution I wouldn't hold my breath. This year they have to get through a sea of mines with massive defence in depth behind, just taking a village or settlement is a massive undertaking.

Rumours are that the 82nd have committed and are having a crack at the lines, which is why we are seeing Strykers

• Registered Users Posts: 12,412 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

That heavy battalion with the Challenger 2s has gone into action (probably their last reserve battalion for the offensive). I'd say something is definitely cooking at the moment.

All Eyes On Rafah

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,455 ✭✭✭jmreire

Most likely was a propaganda stunt. The cameras were in position for the arrival of the van as well, and that's not something pre-advertised, quite the opposite in fact when they are picking up some one.

Oh i agree, this is totally different from last year, but just making a breakthrough to the little pyramids would be a win at this stage

The Kharkiv offensive last year totally took the Russians by surprise, that not happening now, but seeing as going forward has been so slow for a long time its just seems things could be happening right now

Reports show that after capturing Urozhaine, Ukrainian's didn't stop and continued the attack south, which if true sounds good

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭RGARDINR

They probably have up until October with decent weather as will probably change then. I say it's more mother nature has the Ukrainians on the stop watch as they know when that comes in could delay them until next year. The Russians know this as well, if they can hold Ukraine till then they will just build tons more trenches and lay millions of more mines over the months then as a lot of the front will be semi static then with more artillery juels and probably more smaller engagements. So I say Ukraine like Russia will try and throw all they can now over the next 6 to 7 wks. I say that's why your probably seeing now more of the heavy armoured Ukrainian battalions attacking now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Virgil°

My own theory and from reading is that Ukraine realise that Russian reserve forces have become critically low. And they don't have the reserves to maintain the southern front as it is and that a push now with their heavy brigades could potentially break through the lines.

UAF aren't stupid. They haven't been throwing their soldiers and armor into the fire for Robotyne and Urozhaine. Two tiny insignificant villages. Russia know full well that defending Urozhaine and then tactically retreating to a better line of defense, minimizing their losses and maximising Ukraines is the standard procedure and best practise. But they don't. We've seen Russians holding on to Urozhaine well beyond what was logically sound until they were forced to abandon the place on foot. At which point dozens of them were clustered out of existence. Every day we hear about Russians counter attacking like madmen on these small settlements. Burning through their reserves.

Now why is this? Russia aren't as stupid as we'd all like to believe either. Why aren't they simply holding their positions and retreating when it becomes too hot? I think the reason they're doing this is twofold.

1. They only have water at their backs. Unlike in the east where they can retreat towards Russia. Every meter they cede in the south is a meter less that they can hide their logistics from HIMARS and standard artillery. They need to avoid this at all costs.
    2. They want to hold out until the proper bad weather takes hold. Then every meter they currently own is one more meter they can mine and place new mobilised men in. I guess then the hope will be that the West becomes bored over Christmas with Ukraine given the limited offensive gains.

You see many pundits decrying the lack of progress on the front and if Ukraine were to continue taking territory at their current rate it'll be over a year worth of slogging and I doubt they have that much men and material to maintain that tempo. But they know this and still they persist. I don't believe its fair to measure this thing linearly. It's a snowball. The beginning is the toughest part. Whether the snowball gains enough momentum remains to be seen.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

The most compelling counter pointIve heard is that if they dont make progress they can go back to their supporting nations and say "see we need more". I dont necessarily subscribe to same, but at the very least there is a silver lining.

Another point is that this is a war, and in a war youve got to fight. And if youve got to fight, youve got to fight somewhere. So we hope that Ukraine fight on favourable terms and that this all leading to something. But even if the front line doesnt move substantially before the winter, theres nothing else Ukraine can do. They cant just pack up their stuff and go home. Unlike the Russians, they have to fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,278 ✭✭✭thomil

Took them bloody long enough! The US gives the green light to Denmark & the Netherlands to send F-16s to Ukraine as soon as pilot training is complete: https://www.reuters.com/world/us-approves-sending-f-16s-ukraine-denmark-netherlands-2023-08-17/

Good luck trying to figure me out. I haven't managed that myself yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

Last winter Russia did all the attacking and through the mud season after winter until they finally captured Bakhmut. But they still have artillery superiority. Now it seems like Ukraine does and this winter the gap might grow. They could have a huge advantage.

With that in mind maybe Ukraine Will actually keep attacking into the winter and make further gains?

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭farmerval

A few of the channels that I watch had Ukraine using two tanks in part of the assault on Urozhaine, it's a cagey careful strategy, assault gain ground, remove equipment as the inevitable Russian artillery assault rains down, identify the artillery positions, Hiimars them and start again.

Without doubt, Ukraine have been looking to do two things, stretch Russian logistics, up and down the front and destroy their supply chain. If they can completely cut the Kerch bridge Russia will be in some bind. As with Virgil Russia have been throwing ridiculous resources to hold tiny villages, presumably if Ukraine gain some more ground all the way to the sea will be within Himars range. If that happens nothing will be safe for Russia.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,435 ✭✭✭macraignil

Reports of another incident at an exhibition centre in moskow overnight.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-66541027

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭TedBundysDriver

Is it fair to say the counter offensive has been a failure thus far? Seems to be the vibe the expert on Sky News has being putting out all week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭wildefalcon

Define failure?

Is the Russian army still in Ukraine?

Yes.

Is that failure?

Are the Russians losing ground?

Yes.

Is that failure?

Post edited by wildefalcon on

• Registered Users Posts: 6,037 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Slower progress than hoped but not a failure

Seems to be gaining momentum at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭Akabusi

Tis but one part of this war, it will be a long time before anyone knows for certain. My feeling is that it has been quite successful, a serious number of Russians killed and their equipment destroyed (how many K-52s have been downed?), the Russian supplies routes such as the Chongar and Kerch bridges have been hit and supplies disrupted. The many probing attacks have also stretched the Russians and wore down there counter battery abilities. The UAF are moving forward which is the main thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭Akabusi

More good news and a another step closer to F-16s in Ukrainian hands.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

Hopefully training has started and hopefully they get a meaningful number like 30 of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭rogber

Confirmed by BBC, though in all honesty these drone attacks in Moscow seem mostly to be failures, rarely avoiding being shot down. Moscow air defences probably best in the country? There need to be more successful hits to have a real impact. Maybe go for easier targets or choose less protected cities

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭rogber

Total failure no.

Crushing success some naive cheerleaders were predicting when it started? Obviously not.

If we're still here a year from now (very possible if Putin is still in power) then I think it will be deemed a failure and calls will get louder for negotiated settlement in exchange for NATO membership or whatever.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,290 ✭✭✭Ardent

As things stand currently, the counteroffensive certainly looks to have failed. There were broad territorial expectations before it began and the UAF are now rapidly running out of time to meet them. By the time winter kicks in, we'll be back to 6/7 months of stalemate, which will suit Putin.

The hope is there'll be a breakthrough somewhere by October but it's looking increasingly unlikely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,412 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

I'd say the plan originally was to get to Mariupol. Now I think they'd be happy or settle with Tokmak, which itself would force Russia to withdraw further south. Create a new grey zone.

The fcuk up is with the west in delaying supplying UAF with what they needed. Gave Russia ample time to mine the fcuk out of everything.

All Eyes On Rafah

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement