Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Price gouging by the pub, restaurant & hotel industry

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,983 ✭✭✭randd1

Depends on what value you get.

Our local Chinese last week, we decided to have a takeaway last Friday. Spicy Bag and chicken balls, and a Breast of Chicken in black pepper sauce with Rice and chips. Came to 23 quid. Neither of us could finish it. The guts of 2 chicken breasts in the black pepper sauce. The spicy bag was huge, just packed with shredded chicken and chips. We won't go for a few weeks again, but as a treat once in a while, you can't beat it.

Compared to a lunch menu downtown which is €20 for a vol-au-vaunt with salad, a small side of chips and a coke, it's practically a bargain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,491 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

We'd bite the hands off you for a pint of Guinness at that price over here in Dublin.

You're wrong.

There are plenty of pubs in Dublin that sell Guinness for less than 5 euro.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭Tazz T

Ah heyor, that article is 8 months old. There have been two increases since then. There's not one pub in Dublin selling a pint of guinness under a fiver. I know of just two selling it at a fiver.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,699 ✭✭✭Gusser09

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭DownByTheGarden

Had a cod and chips from the local chipper last night. €13 for a Cod and chips and another €1.90 for a can of Fanta.

My own fault for being too lazy to get something at home. Theres another thing not to be doing anymore either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,202 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

In a big bowl under the garlic bread. Some feed for 15 quid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭enricoh

I think the takeaways are making more than restaurants.

Sister in law got a few pizzas from Domino's for one of the kids birthdays, just under e80, I'd be surprised if the ingredients cost 8. Pure stodge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭DownByTheGarden

I think you are right. At this point it would be cheaper to eat in a restaurant than a take away. Gastro pubs are a total ripoff too.

I think we are just going to knock eating out on the head and save the money for trips abroad. I just hate giving over good money for bad value. Wouldnt mind if I got value out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Beefcake82

People need to start voting with their wallets, pick a local chipper/pizza/chinese place over a branded place like dominos or mcdonalds etc.

The food in many local places is of good quality and portion sizes for price, as example my local chipper a large bag of chips if enough for 3 adults, costs €4.80 and compared to mcdonalds large chips/fries at €3.80 and often they barely fill the carton with enough for a medium size. A year or so ago a regular hamburger in mcdonalds was €1 on their euro saver menu, now €1.80.

Even better start investing in equipment to cook at home and in the long term reduce your costs even more, a good quality air fryer is a worthwhile investment and low effect to make food if too tired to cook a normal dinner. The money you would save by not ordering take away is worth the investment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Local Chinese takeaway for us is Lily House in Kenmare, one chicken curry with rice, one chicken in blackbean sauce with rice, one spicebag came to 42 euro. Honestly there was about 3 euro worth of chicken between the three. Same order was 26 euro not too long ago and the portions were decent enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭I see sheep

That seemed a pretty small lasagna to be honest.

Yeah they are gone to the dogs everywhere. We have just stopped ordering in at this point. Possibly once a month. That's the good thing about Just Eat. You see the total and it's eye watering. A few year ago the 4 of us were getting a chinese for around 30 quid. That is closer to the 50 mark. Not long ago a spice bag was 6 quid. It's 10 quid now.

The likes of a Spicebag is handy enough to make at home with an Air fryer. Healthier too I'd imagine.

Edit: My last order

2 x Spice Bags

2 x Egg Fried Rice

1 Prawn Cracker

1 x Chicken Balls

1 x Large Curry Sauce

€45.89

That's between four of us. A few year ago 1 spice bag done the trick but they have reduced the size significantly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

• Registered Users Posts: 1,983 ✭✭✭randd1

| Yeah they are gone to the dogs everywhere. | 

Might explain some of the quality. I thought my last "chicken" curry in our previous local was as much terrier as terrible.

You can buy a bad of frozen hot & spicy shredded chicken in Aldi for around €4 (I think). Cook in the oven, through some frozen chips in the air-fryer. Slice a few not so hot few chilli peppers and a small carrot very thinly, soak them for about 30 seconds in hot water, and flash fry them on the pan in a tiny amount of spray oil, stirring constantly so they don't burn and stick for about 90 seconds.

When they're done, mix them altogether on a plate. Sprinkle some salt, paprika and a tiny bit of Chinese-five-spice over it while mixing it.

Voila, a home-made spicy bag for two.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,247 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

What really pisses me off is them charging for views ... Kerry Cliffs, Mizen head etc ... an absolute f*ckin disgrace ...

That's exactly what we do. Can't beat it. 4 portions for the price of one in the local Chinese.

Replace the salt / Parika / Five spice for Funky Money spice bag mix though.

I was once asked to pay for parking at the Cliffs Of Moher. I googled them instead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 480 ✭✭getoutadodge

Agree. I ditched Dominoes when a single pizza hit the 20 Euro mark. Never again. Same with all take outs really with the traditional cod and chips gone off the charts. Even a simple toastie in a pub has been "embellished" to rip off levels. Pubs in Chapelizod and Kildare recently tried to hit me for 12 e...so done with that too. Fortunately I cook all my own food these days and only go abroad for holidays. I got badly stung ten years back with two kids in tow (hired car, hotels, food, tours and entry charges etc.) topped off with the car being vandalised by junkies in Westport. Never ever again. Thank you Ryanair.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,202 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

Perhaps the photo didn't do it justice but it was a great feed for the price.

Anyway I'm doing hotel bar food with work again. Not paying thank fook. Mad money for average fare. Had a Thai green chicken curry recently in a so called "resort". Hardly any sauce or taste. Chicken was dry and chewy. I'd say it was in the freezer for months. Dreadful stuff. 20 quid.

My go to Chinese takeaway is still rock solid and affordable for now. Slight price increase but reliable. A recent Supermacs breakie was disgusting. I left it and demanded my money back. Absolute muck. It's a race to the bottom lads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,137 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

I'm going on holidays next month for a couple of weeks. My FLIGHTS and accommodation to TOKYO was 300 euros more expensive that the equivalent hotel stay in Dublin and that was including breakfast. And this is just a Holiday Inn. Not a 1 star place, but not exactly top tier either. I'm staying in an equivalent hotel type in an area called Ueno. I know the area quite well and it has great transport links (Direct train to Narita airport and 3 subway lines and JR Ring rail). 30 min walk to Akihabara, 30 min was to Asakusa. Nice area.

Now the exchange rate is working in my favour but still. This is relatively "Off-Season" in Ireland and relatively "On-Season" in Japan.

Yes, costs are high but the predatory pricing and then wailing and screeching about post pandemic impact on business irritates me. Especially anywhere near city centres. Many small and old rural and suburban pubs have gone to the wall and I do feel for them. They really were destroyed by C19 and general costs rising. But hotels? Nope. Not one single ounce of sympathy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭crusd

The whole chips in a bucket and lasagne in a bowl thing is a gimmick to make a half empty plate look full, and food that is relatively inexpensive to appear premium. Why not just bake the lasagne in a large tray, as intended, and put them an the chips straight on the plate. What you have there is four prices of dinnerware where only 1 is needed. Ridiculous. And adding unnecessary cost. There is nothing on that plate that is complex for a kitchen to prepare. A better value option, without any compromise on quality, could easily be achieved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭Viscount Aggro

I tried the new McDonalds crispy chicken deluxe.

I was looking forward to a plump and juicy burger, like in the advertisement.... its not.

690c for a flat and soggy piece of crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭LBF21

our local chipper has put the price up on Chips at least 3 times in the last year. 3.90 a bag now. The 5 euro bag of chips can't be far off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,135 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Apparently the price of a bag of Maris Pipers has shot up to around 25 euro. Crazy price and another rip-off.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭LBF21

also yet to get to the bottom of why chippers not doing smoked cod anymore but still doing fresh cod

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

Was in Kilmuckridge about 2 weeks ago, decided we'd go out for dinner on the Wednesday night, and tried to book a table on Monday evening/Tuesday morning for the Wednesday night....

Everything booked out.... on a Wednesday! (even as far as Gorey!)

We ended up chancing walking in to a local hotel, and we got a seat (had we been 5 mins later we'd have had to wait). Food in the Hotel was rotten (1/10). I ordered a pulled pork burger and what came out was chopped up ham with BBQ sauce on it, in a bundies bun. (€14 please!)

This idea that Restaurants / Pubs are in serious trouble is rubbish. Pubs are closing because people have a bit more cop on now than to be drinking a skinfill of beer.

We need controls and regulation that stop these lobbying groups crying out "Times are tough" when in fact they're more lucrative than ever!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

I would avoid chicken and stick with beef at McDonald's

Fast food chicken is garbage

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

Why or how would you regulate lobby groups saying things ?

That's basic free speech .

Advertisement