Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTÉ admits paying Tubridy €345,000 more than declared

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Will_I_Amnt

I agree also with the view that Backhurst never wanted to bring Tubridy back.

I had a little giggle last night watching Prime Time when Sarah McInerney tried to hide her reaction to Backhurst saying all the "talent" are going to have to face a new reality when their next contract is being negotiated (or something to that effect).

To me, that's really what most (not all) of it is about. He's laying down a marker for future contract negations that will follow, saying to the McInerney's, O'Callaghan's, Duffy's, D'Arcy's etc. in the company, "If I fv(ked him off, I'll fv(k you off too - Get back in your boxes".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

What part of all that turmoil should play into talks with your primary client?

How was 'Gerry's hassles with the house and the former missus' the business of RTE or, more pertinently, is as licence fee payers? (I'd argue 0-0.9%)

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭Westernview

I've been impressed with Backhurst so far. Seems methodical and low key and didn't seem interested in issuing empty soundbites. Very deliberate and decisive when it came down to the decision. He is showing the authority that's needed to reform the station.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

Yeah that’s probably the modern day version - the arts show was repeated - in the afternoon and then again late at night so was a handy show to get at the time of working through the day- obviously playback etc is there now -even if Tubridy does an independent media production he’ll need to choose it wisely - when it comes to more high brow topics they have less viewership so naturally command smaller money - they can be a labour of love as opposed to a cash cow

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Tinter Box

Anything to be said for emailing NKM and congratulating them on a job well done? Heres hoping the same media /PR experts are moving on to advising Duffy et al.

• Advertisement

It’s better as it is now , boc comes accross as an awful person on radio

I like him , he l wasn’t going to sack Ryan to ge popular, he was willing to meet him half way but put the boot in when it was required

Yes I thought he gave Ryan every chance and was left with no option in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Viscount Aggro

This is all background noise.

The main issue is the shortfall in TV licence revenue.

I got the renewal notice.. instead I went and bought 10 bottles of Chablis.

If they introduce a household media charge, collected by Revenue, there will be serious public disorder.

• Advertisement

• “We have to have the integrity to own our mistakes” - Kevin Bakhurst

Pity for Ryan that he didn’t have the integrity to own his mistakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,511 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

Its a power struggle between Kelly and Bakhurst on who really runs RTE. Tubridy is an unwitting puppet. As long as he has anything to do with Kelly he's unlikely to work in RTE. Hopefully the same applies to other Kelly clients.

No it's not background noise at all. If they want people to pay their licence then what Backhurst is doing is necessary. He needs to rid the station of complacency at board level and amongst the top presenters. Otherwise the public wont come on board.

• Legal action will likely ensue:

1 Ryan sues RTE for destroying his reputation

2 Ryan sues NKM for bad advice and management.

That close friendship with Noel could turn sour in the circumstances.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭Higgins5473

I went on their Twitter account a few weeks back, for what’s supposed to be “Irelands Number 1 Talent Management Agency” you would think a platform used to freely promote their clients jaw dropping talent would be used in overdrive, but their account is basically inactive. I guess Noel and his office colleagues didn’t really need to try anymore as the cash cow that is RTE just kept giving irrespective of performance or ability.

Ironically their last tweet is from this time last year trying to flog a car of all things (a Dacia Duster at that) on one of those dodgy premium rate text competitions in the guise of helping charity. Again, self-awareness with this lot and their clients seem to be akin to a brick wall.

https://x.com/nkmanagement?s=21

• Registered Users Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

I would hope people see the human side of this at least. Okay, so you don't like Ryan as much as most people, that's fine. But this poor man, who never broke a law, is being gated from the place he worked since he was a boy. Surely any reasonable person can feel a degree of sympathy.

The only silver lining is that Kevin didn't rule out Ryan coming back in the future, so maybe he'll be in the Spring 2024 line up. One would hope Kevin will have cooled off by then. Possibly having come in from abroad he doesn't understand Ryan's importance in this society, the Toy Show, promoting charities, he probably has no idea how important he was during Covid.

It's always the right time to do the right thing and hopefully Kevin realises that very soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

Agree a certain amount what your saying, but the big picture is Rte is losing money by the day in licence fees and if the turd was brought back it would collapse Rte or have to bail them out, don’t rule out this was a political move behind the corridors of power, the government don’t want to have to bail out Rte and bringing back the turd on a big wage. This would be two fingers up the people paying the licence fee,

Legal action is the worst thing Tubridy could do right now - if he’s owed money from RTÉ as part of a current contract then RTÉ should just pay up but other than that RTÉ doesn’t owe him a living.

If he goes down the legal route, he may or may not get personal satisfaction in terms of a positive outcome but it will be the final nail - the public are bored of this - they won’t tolerate it and neither will the advertisers leaving Ryan totally toxic to future employers

Post edited by Boards.ie: Paul on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭hawley

I've made this point before but even watching the LLS, Tubridy never came across as being in any way intelligent or that he was reacting to what the guests were saying. He did the exact same thing here. He didn’t react to the reality of the situation or realise that he was in a vulnerable position. He looked like a child following his mummy when he was attending the PAC hearing. Noel Kelly was the boss of him on that day. Can you imagine Gay Byrne behaving in the same way? Hopefully we'll never see or hear him on RTE again.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Paul on

• Registered Users Posts: 14,383 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

luckily I think it would be political suicide at the moment. Maybe at the start of a term if its stable coalition you may just get away with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,487 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Very interesting takes on all this kerfuffle….

What I take from all this that the ‘nest of talent’ and its periphery basically thought they were untouchable and ran and used the station as a sort of ‘plaything’ to be used for their own enjoyment and aggrandisement.

The tree which harboured the nest has gotten a very severe shaking and certain ‘ birdies’ are now keeping the beaks shut and the heads down.

What caused all this reaction was the taxpayer finally growing a set and withholding serious moolah which they perceived was being spaffed agin’ the wall by these scones.

It was the worm turning what done it!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,383 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

what did he do during covid ? I stopped watching news current affairs at that point.

keep hearing this but I can't think of hearing one thing he said that couldn't have been done by a recorded message.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭sxt

This is delicious.The toyman must be absolutily livid spending serious dough on a team of legal and PR advisors that ultimately got him fired by releasing that dumb statement the other day

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,536 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

he wasn't an actual employee of theirs though, was he? he went the contractor route; better money, lower job security. if you decide to go for that option, the concept of loyalty (on both sides) is much diminished.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

He was the pivot for a sustained national effort, his charisma and consistency was vital in keeping morale and solidarity high at a time when it was being tested. In another way he played a huge role in keeping the country stable and functioning during the recession.

During his time on the Late Late he very often went beyond what might be expected from a talk show host.

Not to insult any of his colleagues, but it's doubtful whether any of them will be able to do the same thing when we face future crises.

• A person with such strong narc tendencies rarely give up or give in. In this case he is very likely to cut his nose off to spite his face.

His avid fans will still be sending him cards and letters and we’ll certainly hear about these.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,033 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

I am still disappointed that he was that close to being back to business as usual, albeit on a reduced salary, but still being greatly overpaid for what he does, imo.

I found it interesting some of the things that Bakhurst said on Prime Time along the lines of Tubridy not accepting responsibility for his part in what had gone on, overall. Also he said - obviously - that RTE needed to to be able to move on and his own role was to rebuild trust and so forth. I guarantee Tubridy would not have been able to stop himself from going on about it, had his return happened as planned.

A summary of the moral of the story of The Goose that laid the Golden Egg, that I found online, sums it all up beautifully. .

The ‘I want it all and I want it now’ attitude which leads them to kill the goose, in the hope of discovering even greater riches inside it, is their undoing.

Indeed, we might couple this animal-themed expression with another: ‘don’t look a gift-horse in the mouth’. If the man and his wife had been satisfied with their daily golden egg, they would not have killed the source of these. But they refused to be satisfied with the gifts the bird gave them: they wanted more. In doing so, they were – as figures so often are in Aesop’s fables – ‘hoist with their own petard’, or undone by their own actions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭Higgins5473

Lots of buzz words there, charisma, consistency, solidarity and huge role, but nothing actually mentioned as to what he did. Again, what did he do during Covid, and sure while you’re at that, what did he do that was so special during the recession?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,362 ✭✭✭Acosta

I think that poster is probably taking the piss. At least I hope so anyway for their sake 😆

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭stevejr

RTE have tried to play a clever game here. Keeps your enemies close, eh? They are indeed a very cynical organisation.

They were willing to ignore the discontent of their various stakeholders in order to keep Tubridy on side ahead of the more serious enquiries to come. Bakhurst tried to cut Noel Kelly out. The pay-cut down to 140k was a nice negotiating tool to use against the rest of Kelly's Montrose stable.

That appeared to be RTE's cynical position until Wed 16/8/23. Tubridy, irrationally driven, to continue CPR on the corpse of his reputation, went ahead and released a statement. What a statement it was. Talk about sawing off the branch you're sitting on. Spin isn't everything lads, your 'truth' isn't always the truth. And feelings don't matter. Your cannot be a scape-goat, if you are clearly implicated in the wrong-doing.

So RTE pivoted, and decided to cut thier losses. Tubridy and Kelly's strategy to keep the gravy coming while retaining a degree of control over the narrative has backfired on them spectacularly, as did thier PAC appearance.

This ilk people must assume a level of stupidity on those outside the Establishment, ie the Irish public. Thier antics are fairly transparent now.

What's the reason for being reasonable?

Is that an unreasonable question?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement