Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ian Garry

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,129 ✭✭✭✭rob316

I've been following him since the amateur days, he's special, a natural talent, only 25, will only improve training in the USA. He made the absolute right move there as much as I like Fields and King.

Potentially can go to the same level as McGregor, whether he will is another matter.

Either way I can see him been a top competitor in the UFC WW division for a while, he belongs there, he absolutely blitzed the regional scene.

Moving to the USA was the best thing he could have done. As you say, only 25 and already training with some of the elites.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,376 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Bannon is a her. Fought last week in London. You made a comment at the time about potentially great MMA women playing Rugby, Gaelic etc

Natural ability is a bit of a myth. It's a highly technical sport and the "naturals" at a pro level, tend to simply be those with more experience of training time. I'm sure he works hard, he did the right thing going to the states. I wish he does well. But I'm not yet convinced yet that is is god enough to the top of the division, let alone stay there. He's grappling is untested and there are not very good grapplers in his division.

Cage Warrior is not a top flight promotion. True the champion is normally good enough to cross over to the UFC. But they often do so with glaring holes in their game (Paddy Pimblett). Many others have some in with similar hype and been de-railed.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,770 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Iv no question hes a good fighter, I don't think anyone will dispute that the chap can fight,

He just doesn't seem to be very likeable but there no particular reason for it, People just don't seem to be getting behind him like we normally do Irish fighters ,

• Registered Users Posts: 12,113 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

FFS the Neal fight is off, shame as it was one of the best fights on the card and a real challenge for Ian.

Dunno the replacement for Ian, Magny is been speculated about, not a bad fighter but a step down from Neal unfortunately.

• Advertisement

Ah bollocks, a great shame, was really looking forward to it.

Third on the card is a lovely spot to be too.

His reaction to the news...

Apparently he originally wanted Magny.

Could be worse but Magny is a clear step down. Ian needs to be running through this dude .

Other than rankings, which are much regency bias. Why do you think Magny is a step down?

This is nowhere near a steamroll fight

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭rondog

Natural ability is certainly not a myth.As someone that is involved in coaching kids theres some that have never played a particular sport before and can pick up a ball and do things it takes other kids years to learn.Ive seen it with multiple sports where some have a natural ability in one discipline or another.

• Advertisement

Natural abilities exist. Strength, agility, coordination. People that excel on multiple traits tend to pick to sports more easily. We all know a kid that was good at all sports.

But I’m talking about the idea that pro athletes get to the top on natural ability, especially in highly technical sports.

GSP was a natural athlete. He also probably put in more work than everyone else in the division.

Garry is talented. He has looked better and promising. But I’m not convinced he is putting in the mist work possible for this camp. I know social media isn’t real life and all. But he seems more like a holiday in Brazil with the wife and baby.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭Homelander

Amused at the comments that Magny is a big step down and Garry has to "run through" him or be embarrassed.

#13 fighting #11 is fine, a win here would likely catapult him right up the rankings all the same given he hasn't lost a fight yet.

If he lost but put on a good performance it's not a big deal in the overall scheme of things, he's young and has all the time in the world. It's not like Neil Magny is a bum.

There's no rush into the top 5, that would be an extraordinary step-up for him to fight any of those guys who would seriously test his grappling and ground game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭hawaii501

Yeah I think it's probably better to fight Magny then fight Neal afterwards. More experience the better and no rush into the top 5 either.

Am I alone in thinking that Magny is better than Neal?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭hawaii501

Sure didn't Magny beat him a couple of years ago?

I'd like Garry to fight and hopefully beat both. 2 good different tests

Definitely the route to go, two solid tests.

Looking at the rankings, his path could go Magny, Neal and then Wonderboy.

After Wonderboy you're into death row.

Garry could conceivably beat all three within a year and he'll still only be 26.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,390 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

You could definitely see him winning those three and then just skipping the queue, straight into a title fight and avoiding the other top contenders altogether, ala Darren Till. The higher ups seem to be handling him carefully so you’d imagine they’re very high on him.

Very true.

Dana loves that Irish money and Garry could definitely skip death row and go straight to the electric chair.

Obviously loads can change in a year but obviously one of Edwards, Usman, Covington, Belal, Chimaev or Rakhmonov will be champion.

Pick your poison. That's rough for the all-time greats never mind someone in their mid-20s.

Garry could be the victim of his own success.

Not alone at all. I found the step down, running through comments to be a bit bizarre. Struck me as based entirely on current rankings - hence the question above.

Magny is a well known, and most wins ever at 170 IIRC. He is a good (but boring) wrestler and has derailed many fighters. He is 4-2 (inclusive) since his fight with Neal. He is coming off a win.

Neal is ranked higher (meaningless imo). But is 2-2 since the Magny fight (and 2-3 in last 5). He is coming off a loss here. He is more of a striker, that works better for Garry, so overall I think Neal is the easier opponent.

Magny on short notice is obvious more favourable than full camp Magny. But Garry has also been preparing for a totally different fighter stylistically.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,492 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I don't think Gary was putting in the work before he went to the US but I think he is now. He's become a lot more refined and he looks better each fight to what he did in his previous one.

As for natural ability, it's a huge help but as you say it takes hard work to be a top professional and even more to make elite status.

Unfortunately I never had the opportunity to do MMA but I had ability. I was messing around with an MMA fighter when I was 29 years old. He was trying to pin me down but couldn't because I had good movement with every part of my body. He didn't believe I never did MMA. He was in great shape and worked hard at it but he didn't have natural ability. I think you need both to make it to a high level.

That's the big thing with most natural athletes, they breeze through up to early adult life without having to put much work in. Then they don't have the desire and/or discipline to work hard.

I train kids in multiple sports. I work a lot with gifted kids and try and build a desire in them and get them to work hard.

My nephew is an under 10 tennis player whose competing at under 12;because he got bored as hevhadcevervlist a match. His dad, mt brother, asked me to have a word with him to try and convince him to stay in his own age group.

There was zero chance I could change his mind. He's very focused and obviously pretty gifted. I'm looking forward to seeing how he does. I've never helped him as I know nothing about tennis but I see desire and focus pretty quickly and he has it. I'm spending my time advising his father of what to do and not do.

He'd probably succeed at any sport.

Anyway for me Isn Harry clearly always had natural ability, he's a very smart fighter. I think if he manages to beat Magny and Neal that he gets Wonderboy whose the litmus test for stand up fighters. If he manages to get as far as that and is still in beaten then we have a very serious fighter. He moved to Killcliff MMA which if never heard of because it changed its name, it was Dan

• Advertisement

He has improved from CW days to now. But breaking the top 15 is not time to take the foot off the gas.

He hasn't been in the US for the build u to this fight. He's in Brazil.

KillCliff is a Henri Hooft and Greg Jones's team after leaving Blackzillians a few years have. This is their 4th rebranded name as they take sponsorship rights to the gym's name. Kill Cliff is a energy drink.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭weemcd

Garry doing the full pound shop McGregor bit at the press conference today. He's unbearable.

I would really love to see Magny put manners on him.

Hey just doesn't get it does he ,

There was a blog of him in his hotel room saying he can't wait the press conference ,he was saying talking to his mates & saying , How icon moment's can happen like McGregor's "who the fook is that guy " comment ,But he just doesn't get it , he has pre scripted stuff that he tries to make sound cool because as he said himself he is chaing these "iconoic" moments,

You cant set these things up, that was Conor being himself & an off the cuff comment , Garry is trying to hard & its obvious to see, He doesn't know what his persona is & its obvious he is trying to create one, The lad just needs to be himself

Only 2 days ago you had the cringe of trying to cancel Magny for saying he wanted to disciplin Gary like his son, Ian "Karen " Gary

That wasn’t the issue with what Magny said though. That would have fine. It’s a hypothetical whooping, to a guy he’ll fight this weekend.

But Magny also added that he’s quite accustomed to giving that kind of whooping to his kid. That’s no longer hypothetical. It’s basically an admission that he’s beat his 3 year old. That’s a pretty dumb thing to say

• Registered Users Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭Homelander

I physically cringed watching it. It was awful stuff.

Wouldn't go as far as to say I want Magny to win, but he needs to seriously drop the act.

There's nothing wrong with playing a character or playing up your personality or whatever, but Garry fails spectacularly at both in those moments.

Garry was trying to white knight Magny , it was so forced, He is not so squeaky clean himself

The whole Brazil are behind me is laughable & gringe , Your is missus is half Brazilian who was born & grew up in London & you've been there for a holiday its comical how his head works, ,

Her ex's husband Richard Cullen linked in has him down as Ian Garry's performance nutritionist , Is that correct ?

He will probably say "he is been a heel " etc but its so cringe its near unwatchable.

Mc Gregor at his peak was infuriating, childish but also quite funny , authentic (sometimes ) and was a compelling presence.

This guy is a fine fighter but its all really forced isn't it?

O Malley who was on stage is also somewhat annoying but I find him much more authentic as he is just been himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,880 ✭✭✭billyhead

So are we all rooting for the other guy tomorrow night. Although he seems a bell end I can't say I wouldn't like to see him win because he's Irish.

Magny is a pretty boring fighter so a win for him doesn't do much for the division as he is cannon fodder for the elite.

Its a division that needs new blood desperately so for that reason I will cheer on Garry.

He is annoying, but he's probably not a bad bloke when he's not trying to be Conor so I won't mind him winning and tbf I have enjoyed his run in UFC so far also.

He's easy enough to block out social media wise anyway tbf.

• Advertisement

Ian Garry will be Magny's daddy tomorrow night.

If Garry wasn't Irish nobody would compare him to McGregor. A million and one UFC fighters have tried the McGregor gimmick and nobody bats an eyelid.

Advertisement