Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pet Insurance

Options
  • 01-02-2019 11:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭

Can people let me know who they have their Pet insured with and what to watch out for etc

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭em_cat

Bannergal wrote: »
    Can people let me know who they have their Pet insured with and what to watch out for etc

Thanks

Allianz

• Registered Users Posts: 14,038 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Allianz as well

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Bannergal

I went onto compare Ireland thinking it would give me a few options but only one price came up so it’s ascam of a site

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭em_cat

I went onto compare Ireland thinking it would give me a few options but only one price came up so it’s ascam of a site

TBH, pet insurance is still at its infancy stage in ROI & most vets I know will only take direct payment from Allianz. I know it isn’t great for competition but it works out better than nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

Allianz and find them great.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭cotton

Another Allianz fan here, great to deal with.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Bannergal

Thanks all

I guess I thought insurance would be under €200 but it’s nearly €300 with Allianz

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Francis2018

I got my renewal with pet insurance.ie it's 241.86. I was disappointed as it was 187 last year so that was 28% increase. They said this is due to the dogs age. He is 5 years old. Also due to claims...no claims in 2 plus years at least. I will have to look it up it could be longer. Tried Allianz for a quote but they will not quote you if you have ever had a claim with another company. Think I am stuck with it.

The cost of insurance really depends on the dog's breed and the dog's age. Some people are disappointed when the renewal price is an increase and they haven't claimed... But with each year that passes in your dog's life, the risk to the insurer increases.

My dog Josie was covered when she needed orthopaedic surgery a few years back. Allianz paid out €1,200 without a quibble.

Now she's had a CT scan and various tests/treatments for vestibular disease costing €1,300. Thank god she is still insured.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭leex

Allianz here also. Never needed to use them thankfully. Have only heard positive stories about them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,946 ✭✭✭D3V!L

They insulted me immensely when I called for a quote. Equated my dog to a car that could be replaced if he died and they'd cover the cost. The guy on the phone seen this as a selling point.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

Thanks all

I guess I thought insurance would be under €200 but it’s nearly €300 with Allianz

Another option is to have a pot saved yourself. It might be harsh to most but I would pay in and around €1000 for any issue that may arise. Anymore than that and I would opt to have him put to sleep. Everyone has different financial constraints. The amount some have payed here over the years makes my eyes water.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

Another option is to have a pot saved yourself. It might be harsh to most but I would pay in and around €1000 for any issue that may arise. Anymore than that and I would opt to have him put to sleep. Everyone has different financial constraints. The amount some have payed here over the years makes my eyes water.

Remind me never to let you have one of my dogs

• Registered Users Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

Thanks all

Sweet Jesus .. your talking about a living breathing creature here .. your responsibility to keep safe and well .. not a car

OP I’m with Allianz ... nearly 14 years now .. policy is €550 ish per year for the last 3 years .. since he was diagnosed with heart murmur, arthritis and hip dysplasia.,

Claim around €3k each per year for weekly hydro, yumove 360 advance supplements .. 2 types of supplements for his heart murmur (taurine and l-carintine)..plus regular bloods.. X-rays when needed.. plus a few other scares that have arisen over the last few years ..

Trust me .. when you need it you’ll be glad you have it!!

I considered cancelling Josie's insurance when it came up for renewal as she's reached the age that the 35% rule applies. So glad I didn't! Already spent over €1,200 since then and looking at possibly another 2k for seizure work up including MRI at UCD! :o

One of the times my friend's dog had to get a blockage removed (yes it's happened a few times!!) it was over 1k! o_O

• Registered Users Posts: 6,980 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

So, Allianz can't tell us if our premium won't won't go up next year if we claim for some vet visits now, even of we give them the full details. They are routine treatments.

Also, previous cover is not recognised by other providers.

It's a bit of a scam to be honest.

I got 2k back from Allianz in June and renewal reminder came yesterday - same price as last year 🙌🏻.

OOps this thread is ancient

• Registered Users Posts: 6,980 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Ok, good to know.

I think the thread is still relevant.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,972 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Imagine if human health insurance premiums increased with age!

Oh, you've turned 60, that'll be a 30% increase, please!

80? Well,........

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,304 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Have you ever tried buying a travel insurance? That's exactly how things work. This is the same coverage with the only difference being one has a birthday on 21st Aug. 1983 vs. 21st Aug. 1943...

Except we're talking about health insurance.

Travel insurance is a one off. You aren't paying for continuous cover.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,304 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

I'm just saying that, rightly so, there would be outrage if similar age loadings were applied to long term existing human health insurance policies.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Tony H

With Allianze as well , had a claim for surgery to remove a sock last year ,no inrease , will have another one this week ,she cut her paw on glass on a beach , €668 for sedation and 2 stitches out of normal hours , I would go hungry to pay for dog insurance, it really is a no brainer .

Yes but they will exclude anything and everything possibly related to the diagnosis in other symptoms and issues (and any other known issues). Hence if they are in an car accident you'd most likely have no issues but if they develop any other skin issues it's likely to be excluded.

Advertisement