Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Foregolf.....

Options
  • 15-08-2023 10:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭

Hi all. I feel like changing irons in the coming months and obviously there's a few new releases from the likes of Titleist and Taylormade. (Recently I've fallen for mizuno and would love the chance to try the jpx hm pro or pro 223s). . I'd like to get properly custom fit and order the new irons in time to be well used to them before next season starts. I live in the mid west and even though I'm a stickler for shopping local, I'm wondering if it's really worth travelling up to Meath to the foregolf guys. I'm aware that they lost one of their fitters but I'm still curious as to how much more of an enhanced approach they have to fitting as opposed to going to my local mcguirks or golf pro. For what it's worth I'm a leftie playing off 11. Anyone been to foregolf lately? What did you think overall?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭gypsy79

Well one you would want get booking as next appointment wasnt till October last time I checked

I have used them a few times and always happy

Email and make sure they have brands you are thinking available

They also have something on their site about having limited left handed products last time I checked

I actually have fitting in Carton tomo as didnt wanna wait till November for driver. Carton for example dont have Callaway

• Registered Users Posts: 3,142 ✭✭✭benny79

A lot of local Pro shops now have there own custom fitting set up may not be your club but that wont matter the be happy of the Business I know Naas GC have a great set up.. Not a member but have got 2 lessons of the Pro there Bernard.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭opinionated3

Yeah I have no problem going to local pro or golf shops but I suppose I was just wondering if foregolf have a different approach or an edge on everyone else that I just don't know about??

Not really I have been twice over the Years €100 each time most good fitters are charging €100 now anyway. Technology has also advanced. I feel you would get more time if needed with a good Pro where as with Foregolf your only getting a hour

There still good.. dont get me wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,883 ✭✭✭Russman

Lefty here too. I've been a few times over the years and the experience was fine, even very good. Bearing in mind its almost always the Indian not the arrow, I could never hit the driver I got (in fairness, at that time I couldn't hit any driver !) and I didn't really like or hate or even really notice, the shaft change in the irons. I've nothing bad to say about them, but I think they sort of had the niche market to themselves for a long time and there are now other, equally good or better options available. Would I use them again ? Sure, if they were close by. Would I travel a long way to see them over say Carton House or Concept Golf ? No, I don't think so. As Benny says above, they're still good tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,573 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

I suppose one advantage they have is the range of options in terms of shaft upgrades, etc... and the fact they build to the spec themselves rather than most pros I'd imagine who are ordering in clubs and will have, in relative terms fewer options around shafts

• Registered Users Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

I got fitted there and been a few other places since and that seems to be the main difference. As i understand it some brands have a set range of shaft options that can be ordered with their clubs. TM drivers at the minute are Kali Red and Hzrdus Black (see here https://www.taylormadegolf.eu/Stealth-2-Plus-Driver/DW-TA101.html?lang=en_IE#sectionDetails) as the stock shaft, some places will only offer those shafts to try out and then order whatever works best. Taylor made and other brands would offer custom orders with different shafts but a lot of places just don't have those available to test. McGuirks in Naas only had a few shaft options when i got a fitting there, very limited. Foregolf can stick any type of shaft into a driver and try it, same with irons etc. They're not the only ones though, O' Dwyers offered me a huge range of shaft options across various manufacturers and i'd assume others can do that too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭opinionated3

Thanks for all the replies folks. I suppose what I'm getting out of this is maybe there's not a lot of difference between going to my local fitter and foregolf. I'm in no panic to decide yet but at the moment I'm thinking it's not worth the journey up.....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,573 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Really, a true to foregolf is a treat. The experience is great.

You get your own parking space with your name on it.

An area to the side to hit a few balls and warm up properly.

You're getting your fitting done on an open range, so you can see the real ball flight, and not just a simulator.

You learn a lot and have pretty much unlimited options in terms of range.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 694 ✭✭✭fungie

I've noticed a decline in their services recently. Getting clubs repaired is proving pretty different.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭big_drive

Dave has left recently so id imagine they need a replacement in there or they will be stretched. I was fitted twice with Dave, found him great. Very easy to chat with and knowledgeable without acting like a know it all! Will be difficult to replace him

Big advantage I see with them is you'll have your clubs quick as they have the stock to hand. Plus the specs will be spot on. Not always the case when you go through the likes of Mcguirks who order directly from a factory where being a couple of degrees out in terms of loft, lie seems to be tolerated

Advertisement