Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oppenheimer (Christopher Nolan)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,327 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

It doesn't matter what screen time she has. What do want from her here? Blunt does a good job in the film, but she's still, very much, a secondary character in a biopic about a particular person and a singular pursuit of his. Which is always going to be the case in a movie of such a nature. And, as said, if we go down too far on the road of every Tom, Dick and Harry in a biopic, it'll lose focus and end up being bloated.

As it stands, 'Oppenheimer' isn't even that clear about its central figure. Most people will leave the cinema none the wiser about him than before they went in.

There's probably and entire movie that could be made about Kitty herself.. Her descent into alcoholism alone would make for an interesting character study. But you're not going to get that in a movie about her husband.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,634 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

As it stands, 'Oppenheimer' isn't even that clear about its central figure. Most people will leave the cinema none the wiser about him than before they went in.

Well. That's the fundamental part of the whole thing; like you I couldn't give you a sense of who Oppenheimer was by film's end. And that's ultimately down to how Christopher Nolan shouldn't write his own films - clearly Jonathan is the talented scribbler in that family.

Oppenheimer's domestic life was rather limp and his Mrs. was side lined in many ways due to her alcoholism. She struggled for years with it and Robert became increasingly more distant. Choosing to focus more on work than the difficulties Kitty was going through. I don't think he did this in a deliberate way, mind you. It was more out of an inability to deal with an addict, which is often the way.

As for her speech at Oppenheimer's inquest, it came from nowhere in real life too. At the time, Kitty Oppenheimer was very much in the shadow of Robert and was well known for her drinking. Her questioners believed that provoking her about her Communist past would put a dent in Oppenheimer's case, but she was able to stand her ground and close off that avenue and, in fact, I thought that that scene was extremely well written and acted, even if there's, more than likely, a bit of artistic licence going on with it.

Well, if I hadn't read anything about the man before hand, I'd have left the cinema with an incomplete picture of him too. It's only that I've read a number of books dealing with him, the war, and the Manhattan Project, that I knew who each character was as they came and went on screen.

As for Nolan, I just don't think he's that good a writer of character full stop. Whether that's a man or a woman. His movies are more about the events that occur to his characters rather than the characters themselves. His characters merely function, which is ok if your film is about spectacle. But it's not so great if you're making a film about a specific person, which was one of my criticisms about 'Oppenheimer'.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,634 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

That's interesting that she did in fact make a speech, I hadn't known this. Certainly only makes me feel saltier that there was some kind of better script that explored the domestic life without it becoming a total ensemble piece.

He has disappeared up his own butt but imagine an Aaron Sorkin version of this, his eccentricities pared back a little to match the period. Or indeed, lol, a Jonathan Nolan version.

But then maybe good isn't the enemy of perfect - 2023 has been a shít year for mainstream cinema and a flawed pearl is better than ... I dunno, the steaming turd that was The Flash. Cinema's better for Nolan in it, even if his work has lately been very suspect.

No, Nolan's deficiencies as a writer are the core here; but the complaint is generally his women tend to get the shorter end of the stick across his filmography - and there I'd be inclined to agree. By all means Oppenheimer is not the movie to change people's minds in that respect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,859 ✭✭✭growleaves

I really liked Benny Safdie as Edward Teller. He was impressive in Liquroice Pizza too.

Teller was soured towards Communism from having lived under the Hungarian Soviet Republic which lasted six months in 1919.

Apparently he only died in September 2003. I would be curious to know what he thought about the Iraq War, not seeing anything on Google though.

Again, I don't know what people want from the Oppenheimer's domestic life. He went deeper into his work and she tended to get pissed during the day and night. They had grown apart to a very large degree and were mostly just occupying the same space. Kitty was so isolated at Los Alamos that she ended up leaving and Oppenheimer wasn't too bothered. After the war he became more obsessed with his media image and she became more inward and turned to the bottle in a big way. Now, there may be a movie in that alone, but you can't go too deep into that in an already 3 hour epic.

As for her questioning at the AEC's inquest, Kitty was able to riposte her examiners merely because she answered truthfully. There wasn't any kind of 4D chess going on. Her questioners believed that they could find a red under the bed, as it were, such were the times in America at that period. But she just answered their probes by telling the truth. A truth which stymied their angle.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭appledrop

Finally got to see ot today, outstanding we absolutely loved it.

Cillian has to get the Oscar, disgraceful if he doesn't.

We were very disappointed the Stella didn't show this as we love this cinema, but in the end hit the jackpot with VIP suite in movies at the Square. Recliners were soooo comfortable!

Didn't feel like 3 hours.

My only criticism would be for first hour when he young and going around all the various universities a simple year date on screen every now and then would have really helped. Obviously once we got to war years was easy enough to know when it was.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,861 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Is it essential to see this thing in IMAX? I've been waiting for weeks but the BFI is booked solid and, even when it isn't, it's looking like nearly £30 just for a ticket. £50 is more likely with transportation and concessions. By contrast, I've a Cineworld less than 10 minutes walk from where I live and an unlimited card.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭Become Death

absolutely not. It's just as enjoyable on a standard big screen

• Advertisement

Not essential, but certainly you'd want to find a nice big screen & sit as far back from it as would make you comfortable.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,861 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Thanks. I prefer to sit at the front so I can avoid most of the eejits with phones. I don't mind paying the premium but I don't want it to disappear before I've seen it either.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,400 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

I'm biased after seeing it in BFI the second night of release but if you have the interest, it's well worth the effort, 70mm IMAX is amazing there.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,109 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Saw it in the IFI, 70mm film. And nobody messing on their phones. But you'd wreck your neck if you were too close to the screen there.

I've the interest but with my luck, I'll miss it. It's down to one showing a day (15:30) at my local Cineworld.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

It’s worth seeing on IFI. As others have said if nothing else you have serious cinema goers who don’t act the bollox during the show.

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭Designator

Anyone here go to see oppenheimer in iMax in dublin? Im from cork but wondering is it worth my while going to see it in iMax all the way to dublin or is it pretty effective in a normal movie theatre also?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,007 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Short answer: no

Long answer: see the few posts after this one ...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,482 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

There are actually a few other 70mm prints screening in London AFAIK if you're based over there.

By all accounts the proper IMAX experience - BFI or, alternatively, Science Museum which I believe also has a 70mm IMAX print - is worth it if you can work out a screening time. I'd recommend seeing it in film one way or the other if it's at all an option, over a standard digital screen in a multiplex. Still the same film at the end of the day, but I for one really appreciate the particular look of a proper film print (70mm or 35mm).

I wouldn't worry too much about missing it - I'd say BFI IMAX will be playing it for a while yet, and ditto IFI in Dublin. It's a massive release for them, and the former still selling out almost every screening. They'll keep it until it's forced out :)

Thanks J. Aye, based in London and not too fussed for time. The BFI is booked out for a while yet. I don't know if IMAX at Cineworld is real or not as I recall reading some time ago that they're not "real", whatever that means. Never been BFI and this seems to be worth it.

• Advertisement

I was in Manchester on Monday and could have gone to imax. I really wanted to as I’ve never been in a proper one, but my son is only 12 and I didn’t want him to see it, it’s not appropriate and the topic would scare the sh*t out of him. He’s a clever lad and would get the actual real life implications.

I took him to the Meg 2 instead. And now he’s afraid of the water …. 😜

That takes me back. Used to love heading to the Printworks for a film.

Is that around for ages? Think my dad took me to see last of the mohicans in 92 there!!

I was in Manchester from 2012-13. Couldn't speak for any earlier. I think the shopping centre was rebuilt after the IRA bombing in 1996.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,446 ✭✭✭Ryath

Was in Manchester myself for a few days and got to see it in 70mm IMAX Tuesday morning in the Printworks. Never been in a proper Imax before and honestly was blown away. Really loved the film and the sense of immersion and sound is amazing. Murphy and Downey are definitely Oscar front runners but there were a lot of very good supporting performances.

Can't remember the last time I was in such a well behaved crowd at the cinema. Probably Hamlet 70mm in the IFI! Didn't see one person get up in 3 hours and I'd say it was nearly 75% full at 9am and all wedged towards the middle seats and back rows. Sat in the very back row in the middle, I'd be okay in second last but I'd think I'd be uncomfortable any closer. I'll be tempted to fit in another trip over to see Dune Part 2 but might try London this time.

I'd make the effort to at least see it in 70mm if you're a cinemaphile. Cinema showing it are going to stay doing it for a while yet such is demand. I was originally planning to see it in the IFI but getting decent seats at time I could make was impossible at least last week. Checking now though it does seem to have calmed down though most of the best seats are still gone. I might try see it again if I can get up to Dublin.

Map of all 35mm, 70mm prints & IMAX showings worldwide!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,400 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

Just on Dune Part 2, Manchester is the one to go for as they have dual laser which is capable of 1.43:1 in digital. BFI currently only has single laser and can do 1.9:1 in digital.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,433 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

I agree with you (except for the stupid part..unless I'm stupid too 😉) but jesus, 3 hours. Unfortunately, things weren't helped due to the insane temperature of the Maxx theatre, it was uncomfortably hot.

Murphy was brilliant though, I hope he gets an Oscar.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,482 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Hadn’t clocked just how much money this has made - well over $700m now, and has overtaken Spiderverse and is a day or two away from leapfrogging Fast X too. Given the momentum from the likes of IMAX screens, it’ll likely stick around for a while too and has a shot at doing Inception numbers.

Dont want to obsess over box office figures much because honestly the film itself is more interesting to talk about, but it’s been a very long time I think since a three hour long adult-orientated biopic has done this well (granted, there have been few with these kind of resources and cinematic bonafides). Nolan really does have a peculiar magic touch that few others can emulate, but maybe it also bodes well for the broader Hollywood film culture looking forward if this kind of thing can do so well. Or it could just be a Barbenheimer fluke. Nonetheless: you love to see it. It’s definitely been the most interesting year for studio box office in a decade: a curious cultural realignment that we can only hope isn’t a once-off.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,317 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

I guess I'll be the dissenting voice here but I saw a boring 3h TV series with the main characters lacking any character development outside the first 30 min. I found it tedious, lacking story tension, lacking coherence with the constant time line jumps and that multiple scenes such as the rating review board that could have been cut down to sub 5 min without missing anything. Oppenheim could have been replaced by a card board cut out for the all the emotions displayed (which annoys me to no end) how this ever got past a peer review for duration I'll never know. I saw this with a friend and walking out from the movie I did not hear anyone being excited or thrilled but more of a "Thank god that's over" attitude.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Saw this last week in Cineworld's digital IMAX and thought it was superb. Michael Mann's The Insider and Oliver Stone's JFK seemed to be big influences in terms of taking a potentially very stagey story about men in rooms talking and making it cinematically exciting. Nolan really pulls it off. It's hard to imagine any other filmmaker today being the given the time and money to make this. While his immersive spectacles are great, I'd love to see him do more adult dramas/thrillers like this and The Prestige.

Advertisement