Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ire versus England - RTÉ 2 Saturday Aug 19th 17.30pm

Options
  • 17-08-2023 1:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭

Teams surely named shortly. ire to smash England like it’s no tomorrow. Revenge for Ross roasting last time when he lost out on 2019 WC place? Yeah !

Post edited by aloooof on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Mr Disco

15. Hugo Keenan (Leinster/UCD)(30)

14. Mack Hansen (Connacht/Corinthians)(14)

13. Garry Ringrose (Leinster/UCD)(50)

12. Bundee Aki (Connacht/Galwegians)(46)

11. James Lowe (Leinster)(20)

10. Ross Byrne (Leinster/UCD)(19)

9. Jamison Gibson-Park (Leinster)(25)

1. Andrew Porter (Leinster/UCD)(53)

2. Dan Sheehan (Leinster/Lansdowne)(17)

3. Tadhg Furlong (Leinster/Clontarf)(66)

4. Tadhg Beirne (Munster/Lansdowne)(39)

5. James Ryan (Leinster/UCD)(captain)(53)

6. Peter O’Mahony (Munster/Cork Constitution)(94)

7. Josh van der Flier (Leinster/UCD)(50)

8. Cian Prendergast (Connacht/UCD)(2)

Replacements:

16. Rob Herring (Ulster/Ballynahinch)(35)

17. Jeremy Loughman (Munster/Garryowen)(1)

18. Finlay Bealham (Connacht/Buccaneers)(30)

19. Joe McCarthy (Leinster/Dublin University)(2)

20. Caelan Doris (Leinster/St Mary’s College)(29)

21. Conor Murray (Munster/Garryowen)(105)

22. Jack Crowley (Munster/Cork Constitution)(4)

23. Keith Earls (Munster/Young Munster)(99).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭sxt

Ireland should be winning this game by 20 pts minimum

• Subscribers Posts: 41,519 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Earls for his 100th.

Delighted.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 easymoneysnipa

Huge opportunity beckons for Ross Byrne to showcase that he’s faster than maybe at least Will Stuart nearly possibly.

England squad to face Ireland

15. Freddie Steward (Leicester Tigers, 24 caps)

14. Anthony Watson (unattached, 55 caps)

13. Joe Marchant (Stade Francais, 17 caps)

12. Manu Tuilagi (Sale Sharks, 51 caps)

11. Elliot Daly (Saracens, 58 caps)

10. George Ford – vice-captain (Sale Sharks, 83 caps)

9. Ben Youngs (Leicester Tigers, 123 caps)

1. Ellis Genge – vice-captain (Bristol Bears, 50 caps)

2. Jamie George (Saracens, 78 caps)

3. Will Stuart (Bath Rugby, 27 caps)

4. Maro Itoje (Saracens, 68 caps)

5. David Ribbans (Toulon, 6 caps)

6. Courtney Lawes (captain) (Northampton Saints, 98 caps)

7. Ben Earl (Saracens, 16 caps)

8. Billy Vunipola (Saracens, 69 caps)

Replacements:

16. Theo Dan (Saracens, 1 cap)

17. Joe Marler (Harlequins, 80 caps)

18. Kyle Sinckler (Bristol Bears, 62 caps)

19. Ollie Chessum (Leicester Tigers, 9 caps)

20. Jack Willis (Toulouse, 11 caps)

21. Danny Care (Harlequins, 88 caps)

22. Marcus Smith (Harlequins, 22 caps)

23. Ollie Lawrence (Bath Rugby, 12 caps)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,350 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Strong English team, Ford definitely makes them a lot better. Be interesting to see how their centers do.

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭Happyhouse22

• Registered Users Posts: 13,650 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

I know it a freindly/warm up, but surprised Dorris not selected - he was the standout Irish player last time , get it giviving Prendergast a run

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭sprucemoose

someone with better irish can comment but shouldnt the title be sasanaigh?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,778 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

The English = Na Sasanaigh

versus the English = i gcoinne na Sasanach

The Irishmen versus the Englishmen = Na hÉireannaigh i gcoinne na Sasanach.

The Irish team versus the English team. = Foireann na hÉireann i gcoinne fhoireann Shasana.

The Irish rugby team versus the English rugby team = Foireann rugbaí na hÉireann i gcoinne fhoireann rugbaí Shasana

Ireland versus England = Éire i gcoinne Shasana

Ireland v England = Éire v Sasana

Post edited by Jump_In_Jack on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭wittycynic

Very strong Ireland team. Though find it hard to fathom that the Irish management may see Coombes as their 4th choice No. 8. He's had a very strong season imho.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,580 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,418 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

• Registered Users Posts: 13,668 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Agreed. Can a mod please fix it before it makes me cry?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,753 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

It's very unlikely they do. This is just the reality of squad restrictions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭ZookeeperDub

England by 3

Big game for Ross Byrne 2moro (inasmuch as a warm-up can be a big game).

I always thought he was unlucky 2 of his first starts both came in Twickenham but he’ll want to put in a perform 2moro vs an England side.

Especially with Crowley’s performances of late.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭LostArt

Ireland by 50.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,263 ✭✭✭✭phog

To whomever edited the title, a thousand thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,753 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

While strongly disagreeing with this over usage of the number 2, in general it makes sense. I'd say the 22 jersey is definitely up for grabs, even if RB has a headstart.

2 much? 😉

I think it's possibly the closest call in the 23 at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

Ireland vs. England 6: 2 Byrne 2 Furious.

edit: stupid pun aside, I'd agree. I think Beirne vs. Hendo starting vs. bench could be a discussion, and Byrne vs. Crowley. I do think it's Ross's to lose at the weekend, but a poor/middling performance from him and a decent sub performance for Crowley could very easily switch things up.

It has been great watching Crowley mature as a player over the course of the season, while it was hard to get a full read on the Italy match due to the 4 year old attending with me, it felt like a significantly stronger "outhalf" performance for him, compared with early season where he was very clearly an incredibly talented individual, but still hadn't gotten the playmaker part of his brain fully up to speed.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,052 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Ha! I fixed another spelling mistake (no y on Saturday was driving me mad) yesterday and didn't notice that one!

2 Furious.

Lemme guess, POM and Sexton?

Ya, I'd say Henderson and Crowley probably the 2 to advance their cases the most last week. Good to see Henderson hitting some form after an injury-hit and choppy enough season for him last year.

Outside of those 2, injuries and maybe the 23 jersey, the rest pretty much pick themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭Madeoface

So much for any change under Borthwick. A fully firing Ireland should dismantle that team by +14 points. Having said that a good display, a win and no serious injuries would be enough for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭shane.

Is it just me or are the ticket prices for this match off the charts?. Still a lot of tickets for sale on ticketmaster, you would think at this stage they might open up more junior tickets.

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭Madeoface

The prices are insane. Still 120 lids for the bad seats way up high...

Yeah seems to be the opposite of "demand pricing"

• Advertisement

I really don't know what state England rugby is in. The manner of their win against Wales takes some of the pressure off them - but if the One Pumpers annihilate the Welsh this afternoon then they'll be under a bit more pressure for a result.

Ireland I think are fine. I don't think the players seem too stressed, there is a confidence coming across in the interviews and the team picked looks strong with plenty of bench impact. I don't think these games are important - but when we've suffered in the warm ups we've suffered in World Cups so we do actually need to impress this evening and honestly it's a game we should be winning by a score.

I'm not sure England have the hard carriers for their style of play and I hope I'm not proven wrong. Vunipola isn't the wrecking ball he was, they've additional ballast with Lawes at 6 but of their front five I really only rate Genge as being standout in delivering gainline.

Tuilagi and Stuart give them a bit of extra go forward but overall it's not an intimidating England pack and I question if they've got the play makers in the backs to make up for it. I would only consider starting Daly at 15 but Stuart doesn't have the versatility so Daly goes to wing where he's wasted in my opinion. Tuilagi is a great option for Ford to have outside him, but you would wonder how much hands Daly will get on the ball in phase play and whilst the England set piece has been solid enough they haven't shown much capacity to use it as an attacking platform bar the Maul.

Both teams have highlighted the breakdown so the clear-outs are going to be fierce, that's my main concern from an injury POV.

A few of the Irish lads need big games. 1 - 7 are nailed on but Prendergast needs to have a very lively performance to show that he's the right man for backrow cover. Coombes is waiting in the long grass with a keyboard army at the ready so Prendergast has to take this chance or the debate will rage on. And on. And on.

Byrne needs a big game and I suspect he'll make way early enough for Crowley. In what capacity that happens I don't know, you could see Byrne moving to 12 and Aki moving to 13 or a straight swap at 10. I wouldn't be massively surprised to see Crowley come in at 12 or 15 either.

Gibson Park is another who needs a good outing. Murray had an excellent second half of the season and Casey is constantly improving. Park played some great rugby last year but had a poor final against La Rochelle where his decision making and in particular his execution let him down. I'd have had him nailed on starter earlier in the season and I suspect he's still first choice but am certainly less confident about it.

On the bench I think Bealham is safe as houses as is Doris and Murray. I don't know if Earls makes the cut but his selection for this evening puts him ahead of Stockdale for me in the pecking. Similarly I think this confirms Herring is next in line after Sheehan and possibly ahead of Kelleher with the latter's absence now a concern. I rate Herring and wouldn't be concerned starting a RWC final with him at 2 but I hope Sheehan stays fit.

McCarthy has probably done enough and Loughman has an opportunity to force a last minute decision on 3rd choice loosehead, particularly if he gets a decent chunk of time.

Interesting day of rugby ahead all the same. Ireland and South Africa will know a bit more about each other by the close of business!

Advertisement