Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Askaboutmoney.com - Awful moderating, or just making up the rules for the people they like

• 18-08-2023 5:30pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,357 ✭✭✭

Mods not sure if this is the right forum for this.

Is the askaboutmoney.com website renowned for their awful moderating?

There has been a lot of chat regarding the scenes at ATM's on their site, they have used some questionable language to describe some of the people. Brendan Burgess has the opinion that everybody who queued up at the atm and withdrew money had no intention of ever paying it back.

I didn't agree with his statement, I said some people who would have been opportunist and took advantage of the situation to go and put food on the table a little bit earlier in the week and that some children would have went to bed with a full tummy as a result. or somebody got a new clutch on the van and this could have helped them tax the van so they could drive to work in peace as there are some genuine working families out there struggling.

I know there were some questionable doing some silly things like buy TV's but somebody in the public domain should really think about slagging off a certain cohort of people when he actually has no evidence of their business being in a the Q.

Just for the avoidance of doubt I was not one of those people in the Q. I transferred money to my Revolut account not believing what my husband was saying to me as he often comes out with random stuff. Safe to say I was quite shocked when it worked so I sent it back to my BOI account like a normal person, not a thief.

So moral of the story is do not reason with these moderators, they just ban you when you challenge them on fairly reasonable points- which they think are rubbish but they will happily call people scumbags and low life's from their Ivory Tower.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,456 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Not at all appropriate, if you got an issue with their mods take it up with them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Mad Benny

I agree with your opinion about the site moderators. I think it's probably a lack of social skills. I find it a useful resource for financial information but never get into discussion or debates.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,357 ✭✭✭Fiona

I would but they banned me lol. Just highlighting that if you don't fit the narrative on their site they will remove your posts and call them rubbish when you are just trying to debate something with them.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,456 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Oh I fully expected you'd been banned, but as I said it is not appropriate to discuss there modding here and you'd be well advised to pay attention to our rules as well.

Totally off the charts with their moderation, I got pulled up for a spelling mistake but the site owner can't get my name right when he is accusing me of being somebody standing at the atm being a thief.

Double standards of the highest order.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,307 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

It's Brendan's soundchamber,his house, his rules, it's useful for best buy etc, seriously send an email or something to vent at him,I don't think this is the place for it.

I would love to know from an outsider who is aware of the threads let me know where I went wrong.

If I had a way to contact him I would. But I doubt he would respond.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,714 ✭✭✭10-10-20

My charitable inner-self would like to agree with you Fiona for just even a moment, the realist within me hazards a guess that very little of that cash was spent on anything more than TV's, sound-systems, beer and snacks. Very little run on the food aisles at Tesco/Lidl/Aldi.

Are there any indications on the purveyors of the social norms such as twitter or instaface that anybody toddled off to stock the larder to actually avert hunger?

I fully agree that there are certain people in society who took advantage. But there are some people, working people intelligent people who know how the system works, and took a little bit just to keep the show on the road. They know they will not be disadvantaged too much and they will have cash in the bank in a week or two to clear it.

Back to school is next week, 1st years have expensive tablets, not everybody gets the back to school allowance, the people who used it, and needed it will never put their 'gains' on facebook / twitter etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,970 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

What a bizarre thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Their site, their rules. Same on Boards. I don't see what this thread is for. Why would we give a toss if you were banned elsewhere? If you want to discuss the BOI incident then why not do so on the appropriate thread here, but you'll be subject to the rules here.

I am just perplexed with the rules as they seem a bit made up. As somebody was slagging off people wearing PJ's at the atm is still there but when I said some people used that money to make sure a child didn't go to bed hungry I get banned. I didn't think saying a child going to bed with a full tummy was that outrageous but it must be a trigger for somebody.

I don't expect anybody to care, I was just wondering are they known for being a bit ott with their moderation as somebody mentioned to me they were as if I should have known.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 879 ✭✭✭thejuggler

That site was notorious for stifling discussion about the impending housing price crash 15 years ago. There was a busy thread with posters rationally setting out the reasons we were heading for a crash. Clearly this bothered some of the moderators with property interests and all discussion of house prices was banned. There is a certain agenda in the moderation - their ball their rules…..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 784 ✭✭✭techman1

they have a few frequent posters and financial guys that seem well up in the financial establishment in Ireland. If you challenge any of these guys the others row in to defend that poster. All in all they seem to be pro establishment , pro more taxation and public sector probably because many of them work for the state. Also seem to be entrenched in south Dublin think.

On the other hand they are very knowledgeable on irish financial affairs and taxation and you can get alot of useful information there but I think the site is getting less and less traffic now for the above reasons. But it was very early into the world of the internet establishing the site long before many others in Ireland realised its power

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,182 ✭✭✭chicorytip

This is a joke thread, I presume? You are not serious. Theft is theft. How did the fools think they could ever get away with it?

Yes I have seen some newbies post and they are very clueless and not a lot of empathy is displayed. Its almost like its looked down on that you don't know what you're talking about.

Sometimes a person's first intro to proper financial issues can be the death of somebody so a kind reply goes a long way.

Anyway I'll just go back to being a long time lurker.

I think you may have misread my post.

I was saying how some people knew how the system would work, that it would need to be paid back, that they would have no issue paying it back so they took advantage of setting up an overdraft on their account in unusual circumstances.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,793 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

Jeez I think the Public Sector gets an even worse bashing there than here. Not much profit in unions. For an early site its surprising it failed to grow. But it's obvious why it didn't. Many of the more helpful members seem to have left, in recent years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,717 ✭✭✭jd

Some of them left and set up their own site (thepropertypin.com). And that has now become a refuge for far right conspiracy theorists!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,793 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

I'm sure that there were some ATM visitors struggling that deserve empathy there's a lot that don't.

That aside you're barking up the wrong tree posting a counter opinion on that forum. Never mind one relying on empathy for other parts of society.

Yes I can definitely see now that if you don't agree with what everybody else is saying then, well they just jump on you. Oddly enough there is a post on the site now about selective moderation 👀

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,513 ✭✭✭Sono

Well this is a bizarre thread to say the least!

You're the second person to say that, I am going to run and take it as a compliment hahahaha!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 784 ✭✭✭techman1

Probably not that's it failed but it has become more like an old man's pub that don't want youngsters drinking in there because they just want to talk old man's stuff, no loud music or red bull for sale

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭Suckler

I was looking up something and google threw up an AAM link. I used to be registered on it so clicked it and had a look around…..you are spot on with your analogy.

Most of the financial stuff is very informative, but as you progress down the forums it gets progressively worse, particularly in the Don't Ask about Money section - old information and engrained habit are unquestionable facts - "I've done it that way for 40 years, how dare you question me"

'The Depths' is the reserved table in the old mans pub. There's one or two posters that are unequivocally not to be challenged on their opinions, irrespective of how ill-informed they are. One small group lives their lives on & through that site, and have done for the best part of twenty years; the biggest fish in a small, irrelevant and rarely visited pond.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 567 ✭✭✭geographica

fill your boots

Advertisement