Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTÉ admits paying Tubridy €345,000 more than declared

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Hyperbollix

The vox pops this morning from Cork and Dublin are intriquing to me. I realize RTE are probably going to skew the report to a 60/40 in favour of their former golden boy, but it still doesn't explain the strange appeal that Tubridy's unique brand of inoffensive, bland, 'top o' the mornin' bullshít had with so many people.

I think for many he fell into a similar category as Terry Wogan. How anyone could lump Tubridy in with a genuine talent like Wogan is beyond me. Many people seem to be like kittens with a ball of wool. Very easily excited and distracted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭Schorpio

The most telling thing about Tubridy, to me anyway, was the discussion at the PAC about the money he was paid for Renault gigs which had not happened yet (100k, or 150k? can't remember which).

Tubridy's stance was - if the gigs don't happen, I'll give the money back. It was inferred by a number of PAC members that the gigs were unlikely to happen, given the controversy which had occurred, but Tubridy stuck to the same line that if he got confirmation that the gigs would definitely not happen, then the money would go back.

I don't think Tubridy (or NK Managment) are idiots. Surely they knew that it would have been a far better look to have arrived at the PAC and announced that the money had been repaid. It could then have been rightly paid to Tubridy if/when the gigs did happen, and not before.

But, no. In reality, Tubs and NK knew full well that the gigs were dead in the water. They knew that if they money went back, they would never have sight of it ever again. They also knew that the chances of them being pursued for the money was low.

They were willing to risk Tub's potential future earnings, for the sake of keeping that 100k. Future earnings which would have been in the hundreds of thousands, even at a rate vastly reduced from his Late Late peak.

Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe they are idiots after all.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,510 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Shoulda listened to Liveline - RT was almost sainted

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭Higgins5473

So it’s plainly obvious now that Tubs or Noel Kelly or both of them were leaking private conversations to Fionnán Sheehan and explains his remarkable change of heart on matters.

https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/revealed-what-ryan-tubridy-told-kevin-bakhurst-hours-before-rte-boss-ended-talks-for-radio-return/a736919415.html

Tubs couldn’t even give it a few hours before leaking the legal email exchanges. The man is truly pathetic, so is Sheehan for that matter, who’s gone into overdrive with articles about how badly wronged Tubridy has been.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,225 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Duffy's only just back this week from a long stint away, I thought he might have been engaged in perusing his Claddaghgreen accounts and tidying up any 'evidence'. Darcys been gone all week I think, probably on another hollier down in Inchadoney.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭Sigma101

Reminds me of the opinion polls they used to do in the UK in the early 90's. Consistently, the country's most liked presenter was Terry Wogan. At the same time, the most hated presenter was ... Terry Wogan.

I think Tubridy has a huge fanbase, which to many of us is intriguing and bonkers in equal measure. I hope he and his fans find each other again - as long as it's not funded by the public purse. 

Today's the day I stop commenting on Tubridy for good. I hope never to have to mention his name again.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,763 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Or they have monumental egos, meaning they likely have no self awareness. How else do you explain that public statement he issued after the GT report. Noel and Ryan were always use to getting what they wanted. The irony of it all is delicious.

You may find that difficult! A bit like another narcissistic balloon in US politics, Tubridy I suspect, will not go gently into that good night.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Guramoogah

Now that RTÉ have dumped Ryan Tubridy, surely it's about time they dumped the awful theme tune that opened his show! It was still played at the beginning of The Brendan Courtney Show this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Caquas

It is absurd to compare Tubs with Wogan.

Wogan was witty, charming, handsome, self-deprecating, genuine. His was the most popular radio show in Britain for decades with almost 8 million listeners daily, yeah 30 times Tubridy’s ratings. His TV shows were massive hits and he invented the humorous Eurovision commentary which people now associate with Graham Norton.

Was Wogan the only example of a successful RTÉ export? And that was over 50 years ago!

I don’t count Gabriel Byrne - he was more of an escapee.😏

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭Field east

He clearly said o the PAC that he would return the €150,000 without any conditions attached. One got the clear impression that he would return it immediately. I think he also said that the remaining ‘gigs’ costing that €150,000 will not be going ahead -re Renault- so why should he hold onto it.

Sinceit has not been as yet returned , I’d say that he got advice to hold onto it and use it as a bargaining chip ‘down the road’.

it will be of interest to see if he will return it fairly shortly. - as it could be the beginning of a long road back to some kind of a job

was it not paid to him by RTE through a number of agencies/companies. He needs to pay it back and declare it publicly if only to continue proving his HONESTY and to be seen by THECHILDREN OF IRELAND whom he loves

• Registered Users Posts: 51,924 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Why did someone get paid in advance for gigs and feel that they could hold on to the money and not do the gigs? Tubridy knew well that the money was not from Renault and was part of a secret pay deal. No wonder the other staff revolted because they knew too when it was made public. Yes indeed '' we're all in this together '' came back to bite him and his bluffing at the PAC debacle didn't fool many.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,015 ✭✭✭RoTelly

Yes it was paid to tubs via RTÉ, very little to do with Reaualt, not sure why they agreed to it.

______

Just one more thing .... when did they return that car

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 11,225 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Well I'm sure they split for other reasons than simply what he talked about on air.

If we leave aside all that has gone on re who did/said what and look at RT removed from all that then what have we left re RT? Well we have at least the following:-

(1) it is clear that a lot of his colleagues/RTE staff are still very angry over the whole debacle - RT remaining quiet about his . KB even referred to it yesterday as an issue

(2) If RT returned, the RTE staff would have a daily reminder of the debacle walking around the place and his presence would seep into the subconscious mind and have a negative impact on work output, level of cooperation , etc.

(3) IMO , he would be a significantly toxic investment in the eyes of potential sponsors?

(4) now a significant loss of revenue due to licences not being renewed.

(5) the loss of thrust during negotiations with KB and the leaking of information during that period. kB said that it was not him so who could it have been!,!!!

Any one of the above are serious issues,. So put them all together and KB had an EXTREMELY STRONG CASE to not take RT back

• Registered Users Posts: 19,487 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Hmmmm

”Too late too late will be the cry when the miniature sweep has passed you by”

Post edited by Boards.ie: Paul on

Available soon from all good book shops!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,510 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

• Registered Users Posts: 19,487 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Bertie still can’t spell it seems……..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Caquas

• Registered Users Posts: 18,657 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

It was a huge error for Tubridy and his agent to issue a statement on Wednesday evening. Negotiations with RTE were at an advanced stage (and a very delicate one) and he comes out still trying to win a PR battle and attempting to make himself look good to the public. It's no wonder Bakhurst hit the roof when he heard about the statement.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,033 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

All he had to do was keep his mouth shut and he was guaranteed his job back. I find that quite disappointing tbh. That he was that close to returning after everything.

I don't think he would be able to resist holding forth about everything, once back on air - if things had gone ahead as planned after the discussions between him and Bakhurst.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,037 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

He’s been trying to endear himself to the public since the public enquiry with that nonsense about children of Ireland - he may as well have said he wanted to be seen as the Queen of people’s hearts 🤪

He just couldn’t stop this nonsense image branding and he’s paid for it

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,528 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Don't know if it's been said but:

Ryan apparently willing to take a €170,000 salary and willing to face down disgruntled colleagues AND face the wrath of the public who wouldn't agree with his re-instatement. All the while watching licence revenue nose dive with a straight face.

It's flabbergasting just how pathetically desperate, naive and frankly amateur Ryan is.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,831 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

His 'children of Ireland' nonsense at the committee was vomit inducing. Not to mention the "kind letters" he got. Self important twit!

How long do you think he would have lasted in RTE - given the level of resentment there?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,137 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

And much of what you have said applies to Bakhurst ... he seems to have been willing to ignore the staff and public wrath and licence fee drop.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,872 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Never answer a question with another question.

Think of something to say.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,657 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

I think this was the fear of Bakhurst in fact, that the whole affair would rumble on, with Tubridy still spinning and trying to potray himself in a good light. I've heard too that the new DG was fuming when he heard that Tubridy had issued a statement without giving RTE any advance warning.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement