Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTÉ admits paying Tubridy €345,000 more than declared

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,134 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

A spectacular shooting himself in foot

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,528 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

It does.

Right up to the point Backhurst decided to fire him out of the cannon.

Something KB had up his sleeve and was willing to do. Surprisingly. Not least to Tubs.

RT, appears to me, to have been educated in business from TV programmes like Ad Men where Reality gets sacrificed for a peppy story line.

He got a big slap the real world this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,924 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I have no doubt that what led to Tubs being dumped was the loss of revenue due to people refusing to pay the license fee. Money talks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Viscount Aggro

RT lawyers were in touch with Bakhurst again today.

It reads like damage limitation.

Did he not say negotiations had concluded?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,487 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

yeah... lookit the whole problem had it gestation in the fact that these scones thought they were bigger than RTE.

Theres Tubridy now, nothing personal against the lad, but there was a coterie in there who ensured that JQT was ridden bareback and you can see them trying to circle the wagons with tools like Feeney and others getting their oar in.

They believed that they were impregnable and the high ups in RTE fed that to them to big up their own positions.

The big laugh about all this is that is was about a filler slot albeit at a good time for an hours radio!!!!

KB has indicated that he is going to take on this lot and it won't happen tomorrow as I see it.

But the first pillar has been tipped over, plenty more to topple.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭toggle toes

The ignorance of RT. It beggars belief that he actually thought he could come out with a statement like that and still expect to walk back in to his cushy number without any consequences. He had the job in the bag but I suppose he just felt he was still been wronged by RTE.

I wonder will Newtalk offer him a contract. It might not be as lucrative as the one he had at RTE but as the saying goes beggars can't be choosers.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,177 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

He'll be grand.. dole at €200 will see him right. Might even qualify for the winter fuel allowance.

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭Fotish

Tubs leaking like a sieve to Fionnán Sheahan, much good that will do him.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭jmcc

Newstalk is no longer owned by Dinny O'Brien's Communicorp. It is now owned by a German company, Bauer. The Indo/Sindo are now owned by a Belgian company, Mediahuis. Tubridy might have some brand recognition but that brand is tainted. When Pat Kenny left RTE his brand was still good. Tubridy has a track record of losing viewers and listeners. In commercial terms, paying Tubridy money to lose listeners and advertisers does not make sense in the real world outside of RTE.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 9,328 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Isn't it just brilliant that they screwed it up though. The timing of it too. Very satisfying. I imagine Tubs and NK are very tense with each other now. Their actions throughout have been dishonest.

7 Mistruths was another one....

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Advertisement

Yes. For two so called intelligent men they seem to put their foot in it. I wonder has their relationship been badly damaged by this scandal. I would love to be a fly on the wall.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,510 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

What media company in Ireland would want to touch him when they've seen what he is like with RTE - he's poison ivy

As somebody posted earlier it’s like the terrible advice tubs was getting was actually all about saving his agent

nk is badly damaged goods, he bulls into an office now demanding pay for his clients he will be laughed at

Bakhurst specifically mentioned that and looked mad as hell whilst saying it 😂😂

• Registered Users Posts: 17,510 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

The Ryan Tubridy Show is no more - it's now called - wait for it - The Nine O'Clock Show, some creative thinking went in to that new name for sure

• Registered Users Posts: 9,328 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

It also shows how incredibly overpaid he was for so so many years.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭Higgins5473

As someone rightly pointed out, he was born and raised in Blackrock, went to primary school there, secondary and then on to UCD and down to Montrose a 100m down the road for his working career. His entire life has been within a 5km radius. He has absolutely no life experience, no cop on, he is completely devoid of self awareness and is nothing short of delusional about his ability and how he is perceived in Irish society. All of this taken into account his behaviour throughout this and his shock and dismay that he is unwanted and disliked by a large cohort of people is quite understandable. He’s almost childlike in a man’s body and has been in this bubble his entire life that’s just burst spectacularly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭cmac2009

He changed lanes fairly fast. Didn't he have articles earlier on in this farce heavily criticising Tubridy.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,872 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Could you get a Gofundme going for RTE please.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,333 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

On him being childlike, one thing that still really stands out for me from the Oireachtas appearance (I can't remember which committee) was when he was asked something about going back to work and facing his colleagues and his response was to cut in to refer to them as "my friends", even the tone he took made him seem like a primary school aged child talking about a situation that he couldn't comprehend fully due to lack of maturity. It was very odd.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,438 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Fionnan Sheehan is a light weight. Wonder why he switched sides in the debate?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭jmcc

This Eagles song really explains the media frenzy around this:

Regards...jmcc

Tubs will be fine. I'm sure has a nice nest egg set aside. I know he is still a young man but surely he's has enough cash stashed away to keep him comfortable for the rest of his life. And besides when all this blows over I'm sure he will pop up some where. Maybe a Tubs podcast 🤔

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,033 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

It didn't seem like that though from what Bakhurst had to say. They had agreed a starting date for him and a salary. If Tubridy had kept his mouth shut, it seems he would have been back.

Bakhurst mentioned talking to his colleagues also and that opinion was divided about Tubridy. (Which apparently was a shock to Tubridy). But Bakhurst was apparently going to go ahead regardless of what anyone said - either the colleagues or the message coming through from the licence payers.

Tubridy shot himself firmly in both feet and that was what caused Bakhurst to decide he wasn't returning...at this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭Higgins5473

A hunch? Got leaked info on the condition that it would be favourable to tubs. Bit of NK genius, not in the least bit transparent. Wonder how many other journos he approached, Fionnán Sheehan wouldn’t exactly be the top of anyone’s list.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,033 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

I have no idea, but tbh, he has no other options as has been proven over and over again since this debacle started.

I would imagine he thought everything in the garden was rosy and everyone would be delighted to see him return. Bakhurst mentioned that opinion on him was divided among his colleagues and that was apparently a shock to Tubridy.

Personally, I am glad he shot himself firmly in both feet. I was disappointed to learn that he was practically back in the door, if he only had the cop on to keep his mouth shut.

I also think he wouldn't have been able to resist holding forth about how hurt he was and all the rest of it, once back on air!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,333 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

There is such a delicious irony to RT torpedoing himself at the 11th hour with a completely unessecary self aggrandsing statement.

To quote Al Pacino, vanity is definitely my favourite sin.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,438 ✭✭✭✭Water John

However Fionnan Sheehan was at the top of the media doing the damage to RT/NK brand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,333 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

I wouldn't be surprised if that's the case. Sheehan probably decided the mileage he can get out of the leaked information while this goes on will be worth the complete and utter transparent about-face he's done regarding his position about this.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement