Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nurse Lucy Letby found guilty of murdering seven babies

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,137 ✭✭✭Be right back

And babies died in a Liverpool hospital when she was on placement there. I wonder what her friend thinks now.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

I just don't know how her friend can honestly think she's innocent.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 55,504 ✭✭✭✭walshb

• Registered Users Posts: 6,137 ✭✭✭Be right back

I wonder if she was interviewed now after the verdict, would she have changed her mind? Doubt Lucy has many friends standing by her during the trial.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

She must be an extremely good actress that she tricked so many people.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,577 ✭✭✭suvigirl

I hope your little one will be ok. Don't be reading about this woman.

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭dbas

Apologies for that. I've updated the thread title.

My eldest spent two weeks in Rotunda NICU. Hard times, and the staff were fantastic. I think that's why this case has hit such a nerve with me. I've sat on my own in a unit beside my son and lots of other babies in incubators, while my wife recovered from surgery on a ward. Felt protective of them all in a way.

Tough times, made easier by the amazing staff.

Wishing you and your family the best. Your daughter is in safe hands

• Registered Users Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭BKtje

No worries, was just a shock as I wasn't expecting it :) Thanks for changing the title incase someone else is in a similar position.

I don't deny that I've been watching the perfusions being given very closely since. Not that i'd know if something was amiss in any case. I feel a bit "guilty" as the nurses and doctors and everyone else have been nothing short of amazing. Still another expected 4 to 6 months to go if all goes well so I'll probably be an expert by the end of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 765 ✭✭✭Foggy Jew

I’ve given birth 4 times. Each time, to a healthy fully developed baby, thank God. The last time I did that was over 30 years ago. The memories of a nurse placing a healthy bawling red-faced scrap of humanity on my chest are still vivid. The utter vulnerability & sheer dependance of that tiny baby is still crystal clear in my memory. How anybody could inflict harm on such a tiny defenceless creature is beyond my comprehension. It scares the sh%te out of me that this type of evil exists in this world. I am deeply saddened for all those affected by this monster. There’s a special place in Hell reserved for her.

It's the bally ballyness of it that makes it all seem so bally bally.

• Advertisement

I'm sure she is getting, and will get the best of care. You'll be bringing her out the door of that hospital one day. Home to her new life

• Registered Users Posts: 9,650 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Stop reading them. Concentrate on your little girl... She's in the best hands & she's with you. She'll be fine, you're doing a great job getting this far. Thinking of you, rooting for you. Unfollow this thread & enjoy your time with your daughter before she becomes a teenager!

It's almost beyond comprehension. What could make her want to do such a thing? They are so, so delicate. It would be so easy to accidentally hurt him. (I didn't, but was always afraid I would if you know what I mean)

I wonder does she have something against mother's, as well as babies. Could jealousy drive such callous cruelty?

We'll never find out the truth. Whole life term hopefully

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

Interesting that the expert on Newsnight says that people who kill in a healthcare setting have decided on this course of action before entering the profession

He said they target the vulnerable obviously , the old and young

Hospitals talking about tightening up procedures.My earlier point was that person's like her will then target a different setting such as childcare

If they can't detect these people at interview which it seems is very difficult it's going to keep happening

Other possibility is early identification and intervention at school level which is unlikely to be possible ATM

• Registered Users Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

Very shocking and sad story what this thing inflicted on such vulnerable small children and their families. But the management should be held accountable also and prosecuted also for such negligence and not believing the staff about their concerns about this thing ( sorry can’t think of her as a person) and making them apologise. Children is such a gift to have in our lives and to BKtje it is amazing what nurses and doctors do and you are in my prayers.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

It seems the evidence is '' you we on, when this happened, you're guilty'' that's a scary conclusion, was there any other evidence in this case ?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,007 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

The trial lasted no less than 9 months! And you think the only evidence was the duty roster? Please…

• Registered Users Posts: 7,577 ✭✭✭suvigirl

Maybe you should listen to the podcast, which detailed all the evidence given in court.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

I'm asking, I looked it up, I can't find the evidence , and the key evidence I find in news articles is about the fact she was the one thing in common when the incidents occurred

• Advertisement

To me it demonstrates the potential for the worst of psychopathy to be found in any demographic, ie males/females.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭Curse These Metal Hands

• "Medical records – these were crucial to establish the condition of the babies when they were attacked. When some babies recovered, the speed of their recovery was too sudden to be seen as a natural occurrence. Several medical documents featured falsified notes made by Letby to hide her involvement. She amended timings on several documents in an attempt to distance herself from incidents where babies had suddenly become severely unwell.
    • Text messages and social media activity – these were an important part of the case as they coincided with the attacks happening on the neonatal Unit. They were dated and timed, sometimes they were similar to a live blogging of events. They also explained how Letby deceived her colleagues into believing that these inexplicable collapses were simply a natural worsening of children’s underlying conditions. They also revealed an intrusive curiosity about the parents of babies she had harmed.
    • Staff rotas – we were able to show the jury that Letby was the one common denominator in the series of deaths and sudden collapses on the neonatal unit. We were also able to show the jury that many of the earlier incidents occurred overnight, but when Letby was put onto day shifts, the collapses and deaths began occurring in the day. We were able to corroborate this further using Letby’s personal diary in which she had noted her shift patterns.
    • Handwritten notes and diaries – many handwritten notes were discovered by police during their investigation. They included phrases such as: “I killed them on purpose because I’m not good enough to care for them”; “I am evil I did this”; and “today is your birthday and you are not here and I am so sorry for that”. These notes gave an insight into her mindset following her attacks."

• Registered Users Posts: 9,007 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Not sure what news articles you’re reading, but lots that I’ve read covered the medical evidence, Letyby’s handwritten notes (that included phrases such as “I killed them on purpose because I’m not good enough to care for them” and “I am evil I did this”), her falsification of hospital records involving the victims, her text messages to friends and colleagues, her troubling comments, behaviour and attitudes to the victim’s parents and colleagues and the fact that the pattern of deaths suddenly stopped as soon as she was reassigned to administrative duties. And yes, the roster evidence that showed that she was the only common denominator in the unprecedented rate of medically unexpected deaths

I guess anyone can sit back at the end of a trial, read a random news article and dismiss it out of hand, but a jury of 12 people sat through 9 whole months of evidence, and deliberated for another month. I’d be more inclined to take heed of their verdict on it, over someone who just decided that a news article they read didn’t contain enough information for their liking.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

You don't get out of a psych ward for this. Hugh misunderstanding about the insanity plea. Better drugs maybe.

It always is in a justice system. No matter how we feel.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

The Panorama special didn't throw much light on it .

What I got out of it was that she was charged on bare circumstantial evidence and there are still quite few people who don't/ can't believe she did it !

I will have to read more about it ( sometime ) but surely during the nine month trial there was more evidence came to light...bad programme.

I have to admit not reading about this or others accused of murdering babies .

It is too much and too close to home as I have worked in neonates and intensive care , and can't bear to think of somebody unhinged / evil like that let loose with so much vulnerability.

One of the main tenets in our training is caring for vulnerable patients as if they were our own family , and I don't care to understand what or why this person has done what she has , because she is NOT A NURSE , in my book .

I cannot begin to even think of the suffering of the poor parents , their babies and their families through all of this .

I also feel for those who had to work with her , especially once they were starting to become aware of the havoc surrounding her on shift . Can you imagine the nightmare scenario of a busy unit on night duty trying to look after your own patients but also worrying about what Lucy might be doing ?

The shambles and negligence of that Chester Hospital Trust in not listening to those staff who were trying to alert those in charge to what they suspected was happening, and not being listened to for over a year !

@BKtje Hope your daughter is improving and you should know that the staff in that unit are highly trained , caring and highly supported . Take care of yourself and put this rare case out of your head for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,451 ✭✭✭TheChizler

I have no doubt she did this and admittedly I wasn't familiar with the case before today, but was there any direct evidence of her crimes? The circumstantial evidence is overwhelming but I'm just wondering did anybody catch her in the act, find insulin syringes on her, CCTV or anything like that? As I said I don't doubt her guilt.

Ah man. Sorry to hear that.

We're here. If you need to chat let us know. We might not have the answers, but perhaps point you in the right direction?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,891 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

She's not in a psych ward. There's no suggestion she is insane.

What I find disturbing is the lack of comments from nursing leadership. It shouldn't have green left to doctors to call this one.

• Advertisement

I agree mostly. It's not nursing leadership. This is very much senior management. Consultants mentioned it. I believe criminal charges should happen. Despicable. These metrics aren't hard to find out and they were. Clerical role. Criminally negligence.

Advertisement