Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Criminal Justice (Incitement to Violence or Hatred and Hate Offences) Bill 2022 - Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,452 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

The words aren’t, that actions are. You really must pay attention to the details.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Oh I'm aware of what's in the bill. It doesn't discuss mention or reference "hate speech". The bill itself is not about "hate speech" - its about incitement to hatred. Hate speech and incitement to hatred are entirely different things.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

You’re falling a bit here. It doesn’t say “hate speech”, but it clearly, as my screenshot shows, that a persons behaviour, including what someone says, is included.

You say you’re aware of what’s in the bill…doesn’t really seem like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,602 ✭✭✭suvigirl

Which part of the legislation do you have the issue with?

A lot of it, primarily what someone says being some sort of violation or incitement to violence or hatred.

What part of the legislation do you agree with?

• Advertisement

But you don't agree that there can be people that do say things to incite hatred or violence?

I’ve answered your question, please answer mine.

What do I agree with? I agree with making incitement to hatred a criminal offence, I agree with protecting certain groups in society.

Do you believe that there are people in society that can and do incite hatred on certain groups?

Certain groups, but not all? Ok.

Im sure there are people who will say and do horrible things. This legislation does nothing to stop that however, as the definition is not clear at all.

As I’ve pointed out, it includes and behaviour of any kind. It doesn’t at all define what that is, so again it’s an open book for someone to fall back on to say “this is hate speech” when they just hear something they don’t like.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭BruteStock

Do you agree that calling women Terfs should be a criminal offence? It is afterall an incitement to hatred.

• Advertisement

It doesn't define hatred, in the same way that defamation doesn't define what damage to someone reputation is.

you agree with defamation, and agree it is up to the courts and judges to determine what damage to someone reputation is. So, you shouldn't have any issue with courts and judges determining what incitement to hatred is.

And 'certain groups ' yep, same as equality legislation, or discrimination legislation

Unless you correct me Im assuming you think its ok to smear people as Terfs anytime they express an opinion about certain issues.

Defamation is pretty well defined, hate speech or whatever you’d like to call it, is not. It’s exactly why this legislation is so needless, it’s an open ended mess where some could say “oh that’s hate speech” when someone could say “your religion is utter garbage and should be wiped from the earth”.

Hatred isn’t an act of violence, but just ask yourself who gets to decide what you can and can’t say. I’d hedge a bet you’d be quick to say you weren’t using any hate speech if you called someone a bigot or anti-trans etc, but they could easily use it against you. You’re tying a rope for yourself here, and you don’t know it.

Calling someone an insulting name is not incitement to hatred.

I'm not sure what terf is exactly?

Defamation is defined as something that damages the good reputation of someone, you have already agreed that it is up to the courts and judges to.decide what is damaging to someone's reputation

(They use the reasonable person argument)

So, if incitement to hatred is something someone says, that incites hatred, you must agree that it is up to the courts and judges to decide whether the statement is actually an incitement to hatred or not?

We just witnessed a young autistic girl get dragged out of her home for beach of hate speech laws

When Adelle got a gender neutral Brit award and claimed she was a proud woman she was called a Terf by the same type of people who support this bill. Terf is a slur and a campaign of hate towards anybody who doesn't fully accept every aspect of gender ideology. You know damn well what a Terf is and you support this bill as you are very likely under the correct assumption it will police one side more strictly than the other. . The "you don't get to debate our existence" claptrap will be enshrined in law making a lot of Terf slinging activists very happy.

No I don’t agree, because hate speech isn’t the same a defamation in the slightest.

It’s wide open as to what can be hate speech, like examples I gave you already. Me saying something freely about religion etc could be seen as hate speech by someone purely because they are religious and can appeal to this type of legislation for cover. It’s not even remotely the same as defamation.

This comes down to free speech and what some want to hear or say. I’ve zero problem with people saying what they want, to restrict that with some petty legislation impinges on my own rights because give a right to some but not to others isn’t a right, it’s a freedom to tell people what they don’t want to hear. This legislation just gives them a way to get out of it.

Calling someone an insulting name is not incitement to hatred. No more than me calling someone a slut, or an asshole. it's an insult.

Not incitement to hatred. And definitely nothing to do with a girl in Leeds being arrested by West Yorkshire police.

Yes in relation to incitement to hatred. My point stands - talking about "hate speech" is not relevant because the bill is about incitement to hatred and not about "hate speech"

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement

No it's not. Someone can't just say - oh "this is hate speech" - the bill isn't about hate speech. It's about incitement to hatred.

Terry Pratchet

You clearly haven't a clue what you're talking about.

There is no shame in admitting you may be wrong, you know.

You say people should be allowed to say whatever they want, but are subject to consequences. Just like defamation, which leaves it to the courts to decide what ruins someone's reputation, incitement to hatred leaves it to the courts to decide if something said is an incitement to hatred.

you cannot agree with one, but disagree with another which is completely similar, that's hypocrisy.

If you keep saying that, it won’t automatically be true. The bill clearly states that the persons behaviour shall include, things that person says.

So if it’s incitement to hatred, and you can include what some says…what would you call that?

Take as much time as you need.

Again, it does include that. Read the bill, it doesn’t say “hate speech” but it does include what people can say. It’s black and white.

If I am wrong, please do prove it. You’re going around in circles now saying that if defamation exists, then hate speech has to be covered to, you’ve no clue how opposite they are.

Defamation is covered in the law, due to certain outcomes being defined and have been over time. “Hate speech” isn’t definable because as I have said, people can call anything they don’t like that, they don’t have to prove ‘this was hate speech because I suffered a loss of job, income, reputation etc’, it’s completely wishy washy.

Ive a firmer grasp on things it seems with talking to you. You’re telling me I could be wrong…have a word with yourself.

You're wrong because you are happy for the courts to decide whether something someone says ruins another's reputation, but you don't believe that the same courts and judges can decide whether something someone says is incitement to hatred.

the courts decide in both cases.

you either believe that the courts can decide such things or you dont.

You know exactly what it is.

The fact you are pretending not to know says quite a lot about the real motivations toward supporting this bill.

Deadnaming and misgendering have been reported in the UK on hate speech grounds. You presumably support that. Yet you defend the use of the term TERF on the grounds that "its only an insult".

Well deadnaming and misgendering are also insults.

You can't have it both ways.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Beefcake82

It would be an incitement to hatred if it leads to violence or threats of violence.

I know what it is now because I looked it up, seems to be a name that trans people call others that don't support them? I haven't defended anybody calling anyone else a name, it's not incitement to hatred though. would think that's obvious to anyone.

Deadnaming and misgendering can also be insults. I don't want anything anyway/both ways/ no ways.

you also seen very bothered by UK law, which you have got wrong at least twice in this thread. You claimed a man was arrested under hate crime legislation, when he was arrested and charged under the Public Order Act. You then claimed police investigated something else under hate crime legislation, when they didn't investigate at all.

• Advertisement

One can be defined, one cannot. It is that simple.

Saying something defamatory is pretty easy to define, how it can impact a life etc. so accusing someone of being a rapist, saying they are an antisemite, that they stole something, generally anything that shakes their character.

Hate speech, good luck with that. Me saying that I think any religion is evil due to it being faith based, has no evidence, and has done awful things to people. To some, they have no issue with that, to someone who is driven by faith, that’s hate speech.

Are you able to follow now? One persons “hate speech” is another persons opinion.

Advertisement