Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So "X" - nothing to see here. Elon's in control - Part XXX **Threadbans in OP**

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,469 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Someone should tell him Twitter's riddled with bots, he might get a refund for that 44 billion 🤭

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭McHardcore

You know, it could be a reason as stupid as not wanting people blocking him. When the twitter algorithm got released we found out that it artificially boosted Musk's tweets by a factor of 1,000, while hiding important news stories like the Ukraine invasion. He was the only user I had blocked. Im sure many, many others had him blocked too.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,419 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

That doesn't mean the individual users have to have the ability toblock other uses from seeing them, but that they can report abuse, and a mod or some other system can block abusers

Of course, that would mean Twitter would be taking on the burden of moderation and are now responsible for taking swift action to respond reports of abuse and harassment. I can see courts ruling that Twitter need to either restore the block function or spend a lot more money on top down content moderation.

If the block button was changed to just stop people from replying but no longer prevented the from reading the tweets then Maybe Musk might have a leg to stand on, but he's basically unleashed the dregs of psychos and stalkers and bot armies loose to kill off whatever was left of Twitter as a useful platform

• Registered Users Posts: 22,419 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

That doesn't mean the individual users have to have the ability toblock other uses from seeing them, but that they can report abuse, and a mod or some other system can block abusers

Of course, that would mean Twitter would be taking on the burden of moderation and are now responsible for taking swift action to respond reports of abuse and harassment. I can see courts ruling that Twitter need to either restore the block function or spend a lot more money on top down content moderation.

If the block button was changed to just stop people from replying but no longer prevented the from reading the tweets then Maybe Musk might have a leg to stand on, but he's basically unleashed the dregs of psychos and stalkers and bot armies loose to kill off whatever was left of Twitter as a useful platform

• Registered Users Posts: 25,549 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,991 ✭✭✭Christy42

Blocking hurts blue tick users. His taking over was with promises to make all voices as prominent as each other (for a fee). However anyone willing to pay for that likely has nothing good to say and as they were the ones getting boosted they were getting blocked before people even read their posts.

A lot of his supporters are those who feel like no one is listening and his taking over was seen as a way to force people to listen to them. Blocking hurts that as people really, really don't want to listen to them (generally with good reason).

I'm not surprised. It's absolutely crawling with bots. When I was still active on Twitter / X, anytime I logged in I seemed to have an extra 8 followers, all of which were those weird accounts that initially look normal something like "Jenny" and then when you click on Jenny's profile it's either cryptocurrency garbage posts or she has a link to some weird xxx site

I was blocking about 8 to 10 accounts per day. I think I'd blocked something like 1000 accounts since Musk took over. I used to never get spam accounts like that at all. It just became utterly tediuous. I tried locking my account down for a few days to see what would happen, and it didn't help. I just then got the same number of follower requests every day.

I found Twitter just became unusable due to bots. I don't know if I'd one bot infested follower who was responsible for bringing all this on or something, but it was just overwhelming and I gave up and deleted my account.

It's a pity in a way as I'd a nice core group of sensible followers from the early days of Twitter, but that's increasingly duplicated over on mastodon.ie and on Bluesky, which I am still highly sceptical of and putting minimal effort into using.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,967 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Someone needs to explain GDPR to Space Karen

• Registered Users Posts: 60,611 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Yeah I can see millions of people volunteering to give their information to Mossad just so they can be on second rate version of Twitter.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,469 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

100% guarantee this wasn't run past legal - if they still have a department worth a damn - and given the dozen other "new features" quickly reverted, I'd not hold my breath this will see the light of day. Am also curious if this is ALL users or just Blue members, special personalities or what.

Not even GDPR presents problems; California has its own equivalent privacy law that's itself quite strict and a potential landmine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭maik3n

Has there been any reason mooted previously as to why he wants to introduce this verification thing (besides data farming) ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,411 ✭✭✭Tow

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

I'm gonna speculate it's an attempt to reduce the ongoing problem of bots - prove you're a human twice over. It's absolutely gonna lose real members while killing off bots - assuming it doesn't get slapped down by the EU et al. Musk has been sulky with Brussels before but he needs the market.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭nachouser

The old holding up a newspaper with todays date on it and saying "Honestly, I'm fine. Please do what they say."

(I'm assuming that headline is a parody)

They are building something better than the block button lol and safety is the number 1 priority double lol lol

• Registered Users Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Harika

New game at twitter, good cop bad cop between Linda and musk. Both saying contradictory things to shape it as it fits

• Registered Users Posts: 33,667 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I'd say it's more a case of Musk announces something on a whim, then Linda starts she's getting a lot of notifications on her phone, realises Musk has just announced something without discussing it with her or anyone else, and she has to try find a way to a) make some sort of version of it work and b) make it more palatable to the userbase.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭ForestFire

Musk doent like being blocked by half of "his" community" and will force his way and views back onto all users.

The new blocking system probably requires some reason for blocking, or you cannot block companies (Including Elon as Mr. Twitter), Gold ticks or whatever they are now!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,964 ✭✭✭Cordell

Space Karen contracted a third party that complies with GDPR:

Why do you assume it won't be in compliance? Just because they are an Israeli company?

Though the ID thing might actually get rid of the padeos who like to share abusive images of children to you know "protect them".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Harika

i am seeing a lot of users concerned about removing blocks. We can make mutes stronger, like not allow people you mute to reply or quote you. We can also transfer you block list to mute list.

Anyone with any intent can find out what you post by simply creating another account or logging out.

So leave it as is then and let users block whoever they want as many times as they like.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,667 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Nowhere does he say they've been working on it for a while, just putting forward alternative suggestions about what they will be able to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,991 ✭✭✭Christy42

So what problem is getting solved by removing blocks?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭nachouser

When you think about it, "mute" is a pretty **** term to throw about.

There’s a big difference between saying that you comply with GDPR and actually complying with GDPR. What happens when an Israeli Court orders the company to handover the data to local police or Mossad ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,079 ✭✭✭McFly85

I wouldn’t have any issue with the company regarding data(as it seems they use Azure for hosting which has its own processes in place for data standards).

But asking for ID verification in this way is typically only done when it’s a regulatory requirement - like opening a revolut account. I absolutely don’t think it’s worth handing over a copy of my ID because Musk can’t do his own work with bots.

I suspect there’d be a relatively significant fall off of users if that’s brought in too. Musk hasn’t engendered trust with the way he’s operated the company so will people really want to start giving more personal detail to X?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,626 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Someone who was defending sharing child abuse tryna take some kind of high ground is amusing.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,626 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

I'd imagine the last thing Musk wants is an actual stop to bots. They are key to keeping Twitters activity going nowadays, and in the majority most bots fawn over him anyway.

• Advertisement

Id say the same about any non EU company. He can we be sure that local laws are GDPR compliant, and will remain compliant?

Advertisement