Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Premier League Thread 2023-24 Mod Note in op 27/6/23 And 21/05/24

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,106 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,115 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

on the other hand, Arsenal are still playing their alleged rapist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,396 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

If Chelsea can spread this injury over an 8 year contract he'll only be out for 20 days a year or so.

In all seriousness though he's a crock at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭pavb2

Some more sound bites from Gordon the last one is my favourite.

Reporter: So, Gordon, in what areas do you think Middlesbrough were better than you today?

Strachan: What areas? Mainly that big green one out there…

Reporter: Gordon, Do you think James Beattie deserves to be in the England squad?

Strachan: I don’t care, I’m Scottish.

Reporter: “Gordon, can we have a quick word please?”

Strachan: “Velocity” [walks off]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,183 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Theo Walcott retires aged 34.

I remember all the furore around the uncapped teenager going to the World Cup.

Am I a old fùcker now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

Why is Pep complaining about playing Sat night? They do it every year in the Champs league. Am I missing something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

I remember the furore around Giggs and Gazza

I also have a very fond memory of listening to radio live coverage of Man United v bury in 1993. Was walking down to the shops with a friend

The commentary says “remember that name…. Keith Gillespie” after his goal.

Im sure somebody can top that, who remembers Maradonna or Platini or maybe even a young George best? My father in law went to one of his first games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,118 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

I remember Eriksen bringing him to the world cup and for some reason not playing him in any of the games, was bizaare.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,382 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Remember when City got Barry Bennel to defend them in a case of kids that were abused under their care, by Barry Bennel?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭golfball37

Not that unusual. Rio went to France 98 and didn’t play . The experience was invaluable though

• Registered Users Posts: 3,480 ✭✭✭ronjo

I remember listening to Juventus v Arsenal in semi final of cup winners cup in 1980 on radio when Paul Vaessen scored the winner in Turin.

He was gonna be a superstar, his knee blew out and had to retire aged 20.

Poor guy ended up being a heroin addict and died in his late 30s

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,798 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

I was at Evan Ferguson's debut V Chelsea when he was 14 and indeed competitive debut for Bohs when he was 15. People were outraged (mostly from rival clubs who citing child safety in the dressing room with men, incidently their own clubs subsequently played lads of similar age and not a peep).

Saw him score his first goal for Ireland and have his match jersey from the 2020 season also. Must get it framed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,980 ✭✭✭doc_17

Couple of huge matches tomorrow evening with Spurs v Man U and City* vs Saudi. Would be a great evening to get out to the pub to watch them but I don’t think I’ll be that lucky! As a Liverpool fan, 2 draws would be nice. Liverpool would want to be winning tomorrow with Newcastle up next.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭Lauras Law

What’s with the * beside City?

And why are you calling Newcastle “Saudi”? Do you ever call Liverpool “Fenway”?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Let's not have sports washing adopted on boards as well!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,504 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

I’m pretty sure the Saudis would quite like us to call Newcastle that.

I mean look at their away kit:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Dave0301

To be fair, the club has been/is being run by idiots for a long time now. Hopefully the negative response that this is generating will make them rethink the Greenwood decision. I also wouldn't be surprised if they don't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

The Athletic did a very interesting podcast yesterday specifically on the Greenwood situation. Well worth a listen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭POKERKING

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 52,239 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,106 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

If this is true, he could be in big trouble. Would this be classified as match fixing, or spot-fixing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,161 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Pakistani cricketers got jail time for spot fixing on aspects of matches while playing in the UK. He's in massive trouble if there's any truth to that.

I think it’s important, in the absence of proper oversight from UEFA and the PL, that we recognise City* most likely broke many rules to win their titles. And as for Newcastle/Saudi, it is a sportswashing operation so I’ll call it what it is.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,443 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

It would be absolute peak West Ham if one of our best players were to be banned due to bets placed with the company that's our shirt sponsor.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,427 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Mod: Quoting this post as you asked about the OP.

The soccer forum charter is clear and such names or adjustments should not happen here unless posters want to get a yellow forum warning.

I can't see him coming back at Utd. Not a single utd supporter I've encountered wants him back. It seems to be similar on here when the topic comes up.

One listen to that recording is enough for anyone to make their mind up.

He's toast.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,539 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Do not underestimate the idiocy/greed/callousness/tone-deafness of football owners/rich people when it comes to money or 'protecting the value of an asset'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,580 ✭✭✭✭CSF

The mad thing about those accusations is that there were people online at the time who noticed that he was bizarrely odds on for the yellow card.

Obviously those tweets have only come to light now that it’s public news, but you’d imagine the investigation has been going on since then (that surely wouldn’t escape the bookies notice)

Sure look at the state of things.

“That lad is a disgrace , should never play football for a big club.”

But then we get from some people

“Don’t slag the name of that club who’s owners are accused of human rights abuses, it’s childish”

Such is the hyperbolic , hypocritical, shameful, hysterical, real lacking in self awareness double standards of society. If there was consistency, there’d be consistent outrage and City/Newcastle would be booed everywhere they went. We don’t need recordings to read about the kind of hideous immoral behaviour their owners engage in.

But they aren’t booed because it’s easier to focus on one person and give them all the abuse. I mean somebody even quoted Man City as an example of how to treat a player in a sex scandal. I get why they quoted city, but that’s like quoting Harvey Weinstein if he said “rape is bad”. That club is sportswashing its owners image, getting rid of the player was part of projecting that image , it was not a moral position taken by the club.

I mean that’s not even asking questions about them allegedly cheating in their accounts but that’s not the worst thing their owners do so let’s park that.

Football is just an immoral , soulless mess. We all choose what to get upset about. This Greenwood stuff isn’t the worst thing in football or worst thing a club has done, it’s just people pick and choose when to care about stuff.

Greed drives the EPL, Fifa and all major clubs, nothing else. Sure look at all the top clubs signing up to a super league without any consideration of fans. This is the sport. Why are people so animated and shocked at United taking back a player in this instance? It’s like the madeleine McCann story that got a disproportional amount of coverage then it deserved.

Greenwood deserves to be publicly hung drawn and quartered, city and Newcastle deserve to be allowed to play football and we should respect their projects. Yeh that’s a totally proportionate , objective , reasonable way to make sure we uphold our principles consistently.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,748 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

That's some monumental whataboutism

If you are taking my post as a defence of Greenwood , it’s not in anyway defending him or United.

It’s just an unfiltered truth about the state of the game that people choose to ignore.

But if you’d like to actually address what you feel is false, I’d gladly converse.

But whataboutism is still exactly what it is. If the idea is that you have to have the energy for everything or nothing, then that’s setting up for a massive degradation of standards.

Things are gonna be hypocritical sometimes for perfectly natural reasons and there isn’t a lot we can do about that.

Some interesting posts online about another PL player and how he may have treated his partner.

You can call that whataboutery, but I don’t understand how you feel that this is the most important thing to take from me highlighting a bigger moral/corrupt issue in the sport.

It’s just not about about caring for everything though. It’s also about the inconsistency and disproportionate reaction/response.

I mean you had people dieing daily building football stadiums for a tournament many watched or owners whitewashing their crimes against humanity that seems to be just an accepted norm now. Even sex scandals with other footballers , Ronaldo included , seem to go under the radar relative to this and can’t get any traction.

On another level I think It’s just sad that woman’s groups have to latch onto this one case to get any sort of meaningful attention. Once this dies down most people won’t give it a second thought while sex cases that don’t have recordings will be relatively ignored.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,145 ✭✭✭Augme

Who respects or wants the owners of city or Newcastle involved in football? Since PIF took over Newcastle there has been nothing but criticism for the PL for allowing it to happen.

Not sure what point you're trying to make either. Because there’s been inconsistencies with how issues like this have been dealt we that people should then just ignore the Greenwood issue and pretend like it never happened and welcome back to football with open arms?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,305 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

What club? The danger is that there could be a bit of metoo come to play in emotional situations, obviously some individuals are getting large payments to stay stum, there needs to be evidence, recordings, witnesses etc.

United. Ex wife has made reports to police. Apparently club doctors were involved and actually treated her.

I never said people should ignore the Greenwood issue or welcome him back nor have I remotely implied it. Please don’t make false accusations, ask me if you don’t understand what I am saying.

I think we are terrible, as a society, at addressing corruptions and abuses. We seem to need individual stories to latch onto to get us animated. We are terrible at focusing on wider , cultural issues and once the headlines die down we move on.

We quite often ignore worse crimes (particularly when there’s more people affected) because it’s more work and harder to digest.

Just annoys me when you see this sort of energy going into one moment, one case and next week it will be just last weeks news, unless there is visceral evidence (as another poster put it) to get the crowds animated again.

If whataboutery is the most important thing many of you took from my post, then it kind of validates the point.

• Advertisement

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

It’s not about whether I call it whataboutery though. That’s literally what the term means.

I do agree as a society we are terrible at addressing abuse and corruption issues. If some asked me for an example I'd use the Greenwod situation as a perfect example that shows how bad we are at dealing with abuse.

Until those individual situations change, society won't change. That's why so much energy goes into one moment, because one moment has the ability to compeletey change a situation or dynamic forever, or at the very least shine and spotlight on it to an extent that hasn't happened before.

Take Rosa Parks sitting at the front of the bus. It would have been easy to ignore that and complain how that's only one moment and shouldn't be viewed as being that important and black people were on the receiving end of much worse treatment than having to sit at the back of the bus so we shouldn't focus on this one moment. It should be obviously why that happening would have been terrible.

Thank you for your respectful response. I actually agree with your post , except I’ve less tolerance for how sh*t we are at addressing issues. I’m not angry at people being angry at the greenwood stuff, I’m angry that it takes these things for people to give it their attention. That’s life, that’s humans, we all do it, but it’s just a statement of fact.

I don’t want to say much more because I have asked multiple mods that this conversation be deleted because there are defamatory implications to the way people have engaged me.

People need to understand you can’t go around accusing or implying people of being effectively a rape apologist because they are looking to expand on a topic in a manner that you don’t like.

And with that , just because a person wants to expand on it, does not automatically mean they are looking to deflect or defend an alleged abuser.

No problem. As I said, I completely with what you are saying as well. But I do understand why people find it easier to latch onto individual moments rather than abstract situations. I put that down to the limited brain capacity more than anything else. When it comes to everything, humans struggle to understand more abstract concepts or situations solely portrayed using stats or data.

I understand about expanding a topic, but the reality is the rape apologists and Greenwood defneders will use a very similar argument that you have to justify United keeping him or how he hasn't really done anything wrong. Wanting to have a wide discussion on bow society deals with abuse to women but doing it on the back of an individual situation is always going to be risky.

But always a good discussion to open up anyway, even if you catch a bit of unfair flack or criticism for it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,275 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Nice finish by Diaz to level it. Open game with Liverpool looking shaky.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,275 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Liverpool actually get a penalty. Poor defending. 2-1 at the second attempt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Bournemouth players just stand there as Salahs penalty is saved and then he slots it in, very poor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,190 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

I don't know why Liverpool keep Salah on penalty duties. He's awful at them, got lucky with the rebound today back into his path and couldn't possibly miss.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,365 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Brighton will fund themselves for the next 20 years whenever they sell Mitoma and Ferguson.

Mitoma is a monster.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,365 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

He's only been found out in the last year, but I've never trusted him despite his record previously.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement