Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTÉ admits paying Tubridy €345,000 more than declared

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭Higgins5473

And Fionnán Sheehan has churned out another steaming pile of excrement in defence of Ryan, you don’t even need to go beyond the paywall as in his opening line he’s likened Bakhurst to Stalin “Stalin wiped all traces of his enemies from the history books. Ryan Tubridy has been purged from the corridors of RTÉ already.”. What an absolute w⚓️.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,327 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

Saw Sile Seoige 'seemingly' say the same thing, but then I read the article and she was complaining about the LLS instagram account, which has removed all traces of the Tubridy years.

I'm loathe to agree with her, but she did make an interesting point of it 'erasing' all the work put in the by the people behind the scenes. Aka the folks without a Renault deal. Sorta feels like they're paying for his foul up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,215 ✭✭✭yagan

It feels like a south county dublin civil war.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭Doc07

Don’t think it’s on YouTube but PK interviewing Jona Lomu was good example. Interview was still overall ok but a few times PK completely ignored or didn’t seem to hear what JL had said and continued on.

RT and Jonah Hill was priceless

• Registered Users Posts: 9,328 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Sheehan is trying to ride both horses it seems. He is looking a little foolish now.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Hyperbollix

Ivan The Terrible Yates on Newstalk this morning saying that RTE ripped up a 5 year contract and are on very shakey ground legally. Believes Tubs fully within rights to seek compo for two missing years (and I presume damages)

I don't think Bakhurst thinks this far ahead but possibly he's made the calculation that Tubs won't pursue an expensive legal battle because he can't afford the spectacle of himself on daily news bulletins walking up and down the Four Courts ala Enoch Burke in the hope of relieving RTE of shedloads of more cash, all the while the license fee issue rumbles on.

I think he might be underestimating what a petty and legiteous little man the DLB probably is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭Doc07

‘No severance pay’ for former top-earner Ryan Tubridy, says RTÉ

pay walled so only quoted the headline.

Are there any long term contractors who could educate me as to whether it’s normal or usual to not get severance pay as a contractor? IE it’s not the same as being made redundant was always my understanding. I do some contract work part time outside my normal (Paye) job and if the entity said they no longer wanted/needed me I don’t get any severance pay and that’s understood by all. But maybe there are exceptions or precedents elsewhere?

I’m genuinely not sure. It’s relevant to the thread topic as if it’s completely the norm for contractors to not receive severance pay them this is just another crap article by the Indo pretending RTÉ are doing something cruel or scandalous to RT.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,215 ✭✭✭yagan

It's the entitlement mindset that sees on contradiction between private sector profit and public sector security, Ryan wants both.

At least Keilty worked the comedy sector route so knows to take nothing for granted, hence stating his up front his Late Late fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

But other than that most of their content is quite poor. As a public broadcaster RTE should have a priority for irish documentary and arts.

🙈🙉🙊

• Registered Users Posts: 6,965 ✭✭✭furiousox

Can't he get "friend of the show" Hillary Clinton to intervene or has she stopped taking his calls? 😆

CPL 593H

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Pelvis Parsley

I remember being a naïve contractor mixing with staff enjoying the perks and then finding out you’re absolutely nothing 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭jmcc

With its Stickies/Workers Party infestation problem, RTE should be used to Stalinistic revisionism by now. :)

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 6,024 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

While I believe RT had to go, I’m probably happy to leave it there now- he is essentially now a private citizen. My criticism throughout his career in recent years was all about his lack of capability to properly interview a guest, his insatiable appetite for misery and the lack of quality ideas on the late late show in general that made it such a bore fest.

He’s gone- I’m happy he’s gone but I’ve also no longer the need, or maybe even the right, to criticise him. Im sure he’s hurting - it can’t be easy but if he truely believe the balderdash he spouted about lthe children of Ireland speach then it will likely take him quite some time to recover. Best of luck Tubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,122 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Journal are running a poll on whether RTE were right to not bring back Tubridy, currently showing 60% Yes versus 30% No.

Not as reliable as a proper poll obviously.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Emblematic

The problem is that genuinely original public service level content would only fill a couple of hours at most. Therefore even a single channel broadcaster has to buy in cheap foreign television or produce trashy commercial content to attract advertisers.

That, essentially, is what is wrong with RTE. The thinking concerning quality public service output is completely different to thinking about commercial content and attracting advertisers. The two should really be separated.

I think, going forward, public service content production and commissioning on the one hand, and television broadcasting on the other, should be two separate things.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Pelvis Parsley

I think that we can finally draw a line under Ichabod Hobbidy, and his jolly japes (that is, until he inevitably pops up again to have his say-and he will, but probably after he decides whether to go the legal route or not).

However, now is the time to watch RTE (not necessarily their output, but their actions), to see if Mr. Bakhurst will grasp the mettle, and execute real change within the org.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭tom23

agree with this. He is gone for now. Didn’t rate him personally, felt he was overpaid. But a product of the RTE identity crisis. I won’t stick the knife in. But leave him of to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭KevRossi

The ending of the contract will be determined by what's in the original one. There is no set way to end a contract, they can have many different options, and compensation will depend on clauses in each individual contract.

I personally do only contract work and it depends on your ability at the time to negotiate. So one of my longest standing ones has zero compensation if they shut down a project early. I get paid for the work that I do up to that point, nothing more. I accepted that in the contract at the time, as I was starting out and was desperate for the work. Nowadays I will work in some form of compensation if a project is pulled early.

What was never initially clear with Tubridy was that was he on a contract for radio and TV combined, or were they two separate ones that had (e.g.) €250K each. It seems now that it was the former. When he quit the LLS in May, the radio one would have run out around the same time.

As the LLS runs Sept-May, I assume his contract runs to May 31st or June 30th or similar. We also know it was due to run to 2025. It often happens that you start working on a new, follow-on contract before it is fully ,signed. In this case (if there had been no scandal) Tubridy could have presented in June, July and August without signing the new contract until September. It's a sort of good faith agreement between the two parties.

I doubt RTE would have made any rash steps without full legal advice on the matter. It's also possible that they are willing to pay a break clause to get Tubridy out the door, but it seems that this is not needed.

There will also be a clause in there that any loss of reputation to RTE can result in a termination, this would surely apply here.

But I think that the old contract ended in May/June when Tubridy finished his last LLS, and this was done unequivocally by Tubridy in a public announcement back in March.

He may actually have to pay back the €150,000. That's another matter, but i think he may be asked to do some work in lieu of that in the future as a way of getting him back into Montrose.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,435 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Tommy Tiernan Show started in 2017, not as a covid filler. Yes, it's true, his interview technique is fascinating.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭Field east

Is he taking the position that sells mostpapers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭Archduke Franz Ferdinand

Sheehan has always been a servile little creep of limited journalistic ability. I’d give no creedence to his utterances.

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭Ramasun

I don't think Tubridy did anything wrong per se. He and his agent negotiated the best deal they could, as anyone would do. However as an entertainer and broadcaster his reputation is his currency in trade and he would have known that if the details of his pay ever became public his trust with the public, his customers, would be destroyed. He took that chance and it has blown up on him. I don't dislike him for what he did nor do I feel sorry for him.

RTE however need to be looked at very carefully. Tubridy might be the tip of the iceberg and they can't be allowed to just move from this without a full auditing of their pay deals and practices.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,486 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Good stuff Breener, real radio folks like ourselves can see these little nuances.

People usually hang themselves because of their ego- they can’t let go.

Ask Ryan!!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,486 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Uh mmm!!!

The guy was getting half a mill wedge for the last ten or twelve years, responsibility should accrue from that bag of moorlah.

Wouldnt kick the lad while he is down, but the usual parameters apply…getting paid big bucks attracts big responsibilities.

Remember that poor lad Icarus.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Paul on

• Registered Users Posts: 30,122 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Define 'wrong'? It can refer to different things. Legal, professional, ethical, moral, reputational, contrary to your own self interest.

Because most people seem to think Tubridy was wrong not to correct the declaration of his earnings, and was wrong to make public statements that created a false impression of what pay cuts he had taken. It seems like at least half of his RTE colleagues agree. So there is a significant body of public opinion that is of that view, which is especially important to someone, as you note, dependent on their reputation.

Also that body of opinion sees it as wrong for him \ his agent to submit falsely described invoices so that the payments would avoid proper scrutiny in RTE.

It's not the best deal if it has to be done under the counter, and when it emerges into the light, destroys your reputation. So it wasn't even in his long term selfish self interest, as you allude to - it blew up on him and he should have foreseen that.

All the more so that, as we've seen, he is not of such talent he could swan off to London or US. All the more reason not to take such chances with what was a small sum in comparison to his core earnings.

So yes, no sympathy that a chancer has been found and it is a good thing imo he has been found out. No just a chancer, but someone with an obliviously inflated sense of their own worth and ego.

I don't think anyone has suggested RTE's problems - that may have begun with the Tubridy scandal - end there.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,298 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Ive been contracting for years, wish i could get "severance" when a contract finishes or is terminated...

Indicative of the ridiculous carry-on that tubridy and the rte enablers are at, best of both worlds and the accountability or responsibility of none.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

I think it would have been really interesting to see how his radio numbers would have fared if he returned next month.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,873 ✭✭✭sporina

Q what did Ryan say that annoyed Kevin Bakhurst?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement