Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nurse Lucy Letby found guilty of murdering seven babies

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭dbas

One doctor caught her watching a baby while the oxygen % dropped below a level where one would call for help. She didn't call for help and was just watching the baby.

This doctor already suspected her due to the number of incidents happening while she was on shift

She's not insane. She's a bad bad b***h who's getting life on Monday

Denial. You wouldn't want something like that to be true if you thought you knew someone. It's a rare personality that could cause, and watch a tiny premy baby in pain. Hard to balance that against someone you thought you knew to be kind. I feel for her friend, but Letby can die screaming for all I care

• Registered Users Posts: 23,507 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Hopefully fellow inmates make sure "lifs" is a short sentence.

Having to work with her must have been agonising.

A lazy colleague in a normal job makes it harder for everyone else

A crooked cop at work undermines their colleagues best efforts to catch criminals

This rotten tramp was murdering babies that the hospital staff were trying their hardest to save.

It is very very hard to comprehend the depths of the vindictive cruelty of this woman

• Advertisement

I really really hope not. A quick death is too good for her.

Some of her surviving victims are suffering for life and will always have additional needs.

I hope she does 50 years jail and is forgotten about

Wheel her in Hannibal lector style,but gagged.

These families have watched her front up for 9 months, and lying on the stand.

Watching her and her bulls**t fall apart must be satisfying on some level

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

This is very interesting. I wonder what drove her to do it. It must have been addictive to keep going despite being under suspicion.

Something very deep and very primal.

She had everyone fooled so she figured she could keep doing what she was doing. She had hospital management demanding consultants apologize to her for hurting her feelings, when those consultants knew she was a murderer.

She kept evidence in her home because she thought she was infallible/ godlike.

She elicitted sympathy from friends/ colleagues when a little baby died on her shift, even though she had caused the death.

I'll have to read this again to clarify, but she gave a photo of a baby to parents (after baby had passed), where the baby had rolled over to hold it's teddy. Parents loved it until they realised that premature babies can't roll over.... The photo was staged...

She's a maniac. The worst example of a human being I've read about in a while

• Registered Users Posts: 55,504 ✭✭✭✭walshb

It’s also quite sickening to the families to have her lie and not offer a modicum of remorse or sorrow for what she did.

• Advertisement

She likely has a personality disorder of some sort. Borderline personality disorder or something similar. I've no psychology training or anything, just my opinion.

She's an actor, who got found out at trial in front of all the families. She's empty of pity and full of self pity.

If she was still on a ward, she would still be killing babies whenever she wanted.

The results of the enquiry ordered yesterday will make for grim reading

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

Yeah I suspect the attention was a big part of it. And power. Interesting nonetheless. And it’s long been known that the medical profession attracts certain types.

It's a great hiding place for these rare types.

Instant respect and access to vulnerable potential victims.

Thankfully they are very very rare

• Registered Users Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭mrslancaster

Thankfully but it is sickening to read of the enormous damage these people cause and seem to get away with for years, eg Beverley Allitt & Shipman were also medical professionals that people trusted. It's hard to understand why the hospital management in this case ignored the reports from several of Lucys colleagues, if even one person was raising concerns it should have prompted action and investigations. Even reports of bullying would have a quicker response in every workplace these days. That management team did nothing for a number of years until 3 babies had died. Shame on them.

Those poor families who have lost their children because of her, it's too awful to think of the trauma she has caused.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

''Not sure what news articles you’re reading, but lots that I’ve read covered the medical evidence, Letyby’s handwritten notes (that included phrases such as “I killed them on purpose because I’m not good enough to care for them” and “I am evil I did this”),''

This looks damming, but if a person is blamed by senior staff, or hinted at for being at fault, then a depressed person would write such stuff when they too begin to blame themselves. ''"Overwhelming fear I panic I'll never have children or marry, I'll never have a family' and 'I don't deserve to live' and 'Why me?' 'I haven't done anything wrong and they have no evidence, so why have I had to hide away?' I killed them on purpose because I’m not good enough to care for them????? I am evil I did this! , Kill me!!'' Depress people do this, when the enormity of what's being said about her sinks in, then in moments of despair, a person can write such things to themselves .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

The expert on BBC dismissed the notes as evidence of guilt

Said they're evidence of a person distressed by the situation

• Registered Users Posts: 2,732 ✭✭✭donaghs

I find it very hard to read too much about this. Just sickening. Ideally people would be screened out of jobs like this, but in reality that not always possible.

is there at least any way to collate the spike in deaths and incidents around particular nurses/doctors?

it’s probably even harder to report this when it’s a societal sacred cow like a hospital consultant doing the deeds. Like with dr neary and dr shine in our own Drogheda hospital - albeit they never actually killed anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

I believe the screening is difficult

2nd paragraph will happen

As said on Newsnight these people are attracted to the work by the opportunity to kill

They'll target other positions with vulnerable persons

The management could have been tricked by her too and without the specific medical knowledge that the consultants had, they didn't see through it.

9 months of evidence and around 100 hours of jury deliberation.

They made the right decision

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭lmao10

The clip of her coming out of the house in cuffs is a bit unsettling. She looks like shes in her true form as she walks out with a blank look on her face.

What do these people get out of committing these types of crimes? It's just impossible to get into their head.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

The simple fact is, this is a very rare murder conviction, based on overwhelmig circumstantial evidence alone, and one of the longest such trials. Is it a safe conviction, considering there is so much doubt, and no hard evidence.

Her version of that was that she was dragged from the house in a dressing gown.

Always the persecuted victim

• Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

Stats would have raised questions. You don't need medical knowledge which they also got from nurses and doctors.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭apache

She will be kept apart from everyone else for her own protection. That's the reality.

I'm just speculating as to why the managers were fooled and the consultants weren't.

A manager spoke to Lucy Letby and her dad and then arranged mediation sessions between Letby and the hospital consultants. This woman had murdered babies at this stage and the consultants knew it. The managers either didn't care, or believed every word Letby said.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

The results of this enquiry will likely shock the world, and procedures and accountability will change for the better as a result. Hopefully

• Registered Users Posts: 29,252 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

manipulation would be a part of many complex disorders, shes probably a hell of a liar(pathological), i also suspect the severe lack of resources of the nhs has probably also lead us to this disturbing situation, i know of someone whos considering a similar career, they more than likely have a serious personality disorder, probably not as bad as letby, but.... im hoping our system is good enough to prevent this from happening....

• Registered Users Posts: 29,252 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

• Advertisement

Advertisement