Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cross-border review of rail network officially launched

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,072 ✭✭✭timmyntc

You'd have a better Cost benefit for a 2nd metro line connecting currently planned 1st line to Heuston (and beyond some direction), than you would taking intercity trains from heuston to a new airport station.

Heavy rail to airport will not happen

• Registered Users Posts: 14,981 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

I've said this before but Metrolink extension to Donabate Dart station seems a no-brainer, and it's disappointing it's not in the current plans. Other than a bridge over the M1 it would be fairly cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭AerLingus747

• Registered Users Posts: 6,915 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

Donabate isn't realistic given the development all around the station. Rusk & Lusk is ideal as there is plenty of space there. You'd also need two more heavy rail platforms too I'd say. Ideally the Metro platforms would be built across under the heavy rail platforms to facilitate ease of transfer between systems.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,794 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Going to Rusk and Lusk would also have the advantage of it passing through even more green field sites parallel to the M1.

Absolutely fantastic locations to build 3 or 4 additional Metro stations and build new dense commuter towns around the stations.

Think of how attractive they would be, walking distance to a Metrolink station and easy access to the M1.

The next 100,000 people who move to Dublin could be living in these towns.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,317 ✭✭✭Consonata

Given how averse they were spending 300m on the GL tie in, they might have been worried that any extension north might have sunk the entire project. Unfortunately I think we are lucky that ML is still going at all despite it facing near complete opposition.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,794 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Huh, so far I fell Metrolink has received relatively little opposition!

Sure, there was opposition to the GL upgrade and the nonsense with the GAA club, but overall I’ve been pleasantly surprised how little board opposition I’ve seen to it.

Im thinking in comparison to all the opposition I heard to the two Luas lines received. Constant articles on how it would never work, no one would use it etc. which lead to the city center section getting canned at the time.

I think Metrolink has pretty broad support and the types of complaints that luas received aren’t gaining any traction this time.

Disagree, GL upgrade very nearly sunk the whole project, and there have been countless articles about the impact on the inner city and cost in particular. It's quiet now as it's still with ABP for RO but the usual suspects (McDowell, McDonald etc) will make their way out of the woodwork onto Newstalk guest panels whenever ABP comes with its decision

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭ArcadiaJunction

for some reason, people on here have been arguing against it for years and I can't get my head around why. There were also endless posts about how the Sligo train should not connect with the Luas at Broombridge because...

Hard disagree, the GL came nowhere near to sinking it!

McDonald, etc. will of course blather on as usual, but I honestly believe that today they don’t get anywhere near the same attention or credence that they did during the building of Luas.

They ended up looking pretty stupid after the Luas opened to become a massive success. Everyone quickly so how brilliant the Luas was and the government quickly scrambled to follow up with Luas Cross City. You didn’t hear many complaints from them during this project as they and the public knew they were full of it.

The general feeling around Dublin is very strong support for Metrolink. Most people think it is mad that we don’t have an underground or a train to the airport. Most people just want them to get on with building it.

Even when some articles came out saying it could cost as much as €21 billion, despite newspapers and radio shows trying to shock people with that, it really didn’t gain any traction, people shrugged their shoulders and said get on with it.

I really don’t perceive the type of broad public opposition that Luas originally got, quite the opposite it is mostly strong support.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭gjim

When did Frank McDonald ever oppose the Luas? I only ever remember his general support for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,723 ✭✭✭AngryLips

He never did oppose Luas. In fact his whole opposition of Metro was because he felt that a full Luas network should be built instead.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,070 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Well he was definitely wrong about that! Here’s the transport hierarchy in big cities:

1. Heavy rail and undergound
    2. Tram/light rail
    3. Bus

A network of Luas is US style thinking, aimed at a uniformly dense city. Dublin isn’t uniformly low density, many of its suburbs are more like a typical London suburb (i.e. mostly houses but small footprints) with lots of brownfield, making them suitable for Level 1 as listed above.

Entire network of light rail is what you build in Portland/Edmonton/Calgary/Phoenix/Dallas/Charlotte where the whole city is 1/4 acre SFHs* and no brownfield.

*single family homes

Post edited by spacetweek on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭Economics101

Interesting piece in the I.T from John FitzGerald: he doesn't let his personal enthusiasm for railways cloud his judgement. While I would disagree with him on some points, he is basically right: inconcentrating on improvements to the existing network rather than all the fantasy stuff which has our politicians and journalists so excited.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,723 ✭✭✭AngryLips

Totally right. It's pure fantasy land stuff here.

This what realists are up against.

Fails to take into account that funding is always limited and that the opportunity costs of railways in Donegal is less rail infrasctucture in areas whare it more urgently needed.

A nice investment going into Cork

RTE news : Contract awarded to treble Cork train frequencies

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

This is a commuter rail project and has its own thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,502 ✭✭✭Markcheese

You'd hope that .. but parochial politics kick in ,

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 19,417 ✭✭✭✭road_high

I got the train down to cork from thurles this week and it got me thinking- even electrifying this mainline will be a huge undertaking- had anything even been planned apart from fancy words in reports?

An aside how annoying the cork trains are socket only phone charging! I only brought a cable with me so had to spare the phone for the afternoon!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,502 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Cork - dublin is currently 1 train each way an hour , there are other services and commuter starts at portlaoise but thats not exactly a huge amount of traffic to warrant electrifying the entire way ..

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 2,863 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

The fantasists justify enormous spends on these sorts of lines by claiming there'll be an unfathomable economic boom in the towns and villages of rural Ireland because a train service will now pass through it. Point out that at best it will be in an infrequent service and they'll just up the ante, saying tens of millions more should be spent on providing a more frequent service to make it worthwhile, including early mornings, weekends etc.

But is there any evidence of the small towns and villages with rail being vastly more economically successful than those without? Are Ballybrophy, Dromod or Rathmore thriving because a rail line passes through them?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Rathmore possibly one to omit given its large Cadbury’s plant. Move east and ask the same about Banteer. Not thriving

Nitpicking certain parts of the report is madness. Less than 1% of the proposed spend is on lines such as Letterkenny-Derry, Portadown-Mullingar and is well down the priority list of things we need done. However the purpose of this report wasn't what we should be spending money on in the next 10 years rather than the next 50.

There are certain things which we will have to spend money on if we want to hold onto our national railways at all, such as rolling stock and track upgrades etc. But if we want to move away from ribbon development towards urbanisation of certain regions in the west, decent train services with sensible local buses tying it together is *how you achieve this*.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,580 ✭✭✭cgcsb

And intercity trains from Dublin to Kerry and Dublin to Limerick, there's a lot of traffic on the line, and increasing Dublin to Cork to half hourly or more would be part of a future upgrade

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭Ireland trains

Would Kent have the platform capacity for this once platforms 5 and 6 are being used for commuter services.

There are loads of lines in other countries whare electrification has been done and traffic is much less than Dublin-Cork.

If you don't electrify what are you going to use? Battery with 80km range? Hydrogen with its own technical riskas and not very well prove technology?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,580 ✭✭✭cgcsb

I'm not arguing against electrification, I'm saying it's the only option and should have been done decades ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,631 ✭✭✭KrisW1001

Electrification has to happen. Part of the electrification cost is new rolling stock, but because the current main line fleet will start to need replacement from the mid 2030s, that is money we will have to spend either way. Are we seriously going to lock ourselves into diesel traction for another thirty years?

The big benefit of electric lines is they allow faster services with intermediate stops... currently the Cork Dublin line averages 110 km/h end to end, on limited stop services. Electrification and track improvements could get that average up to 200 km/h..

Faster trains aren't just good for end to end trips, they also increase the capacity of the line. With a sub 90 minute journey time, Cork-Dublin could support a train every half hour morning and evening.

If we stick with diesel, none of that can happen.

• Advertisement

Sorry, I clicked on the wrong post: someone else was saying that electrification is not warranted..

Advertisement