Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What does the future hold for Donald Trump? - threadbans in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭I.R.Y.E.D

Pardoning him would do nothing but show the next cúnt, and there are plenty of them in the GOP, that they have nothing to fear in relation to their actions.

As for trump being genuine, I don't do the lotto, but I've more chances of winning it than that happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,357 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

• Registered Users Posts: 11,425 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

• Registered Users Posts: 13,977 ✭✭✭✭briany

MSNBC have put up a video claiming that it's 'nearly impossible' for Trump to run a presidential campaign while under these indictments.

I'd be inclined to agree if this were a traditional candidate, but of course he's not. His supremacy over his party is absolute and it's looking like all he has to do to secure the nomination is remain alive, on the ballot and keep the odd capslock 'truth' coming. His rivals for the nomination must know this and secretly regard their campaigns as a mere exercise in boosting their profile in preparation for the possible day when neither Trump nor Trumpism is in control of the Republican party. They may be waiting a looong time for that, however.

• Advertisement

That's part of his hybrid political/legal strategy.

He seems to think the courts can't move past Aileen Cannon's trial dates and they have to push everything back to kingdom come.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,798 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Interesting article from Salon, highlighting the very real possibility that Trump's mental health problems are becoming an existential threat to US democracy.

Trump has shown a wide range of pathological behavior over the past seven years or so. He has an unhealthy fascination with violence. He lacks impulse control and empathy. He revels in cruelty. He compulsively lies and exhibits traits of malignant narcissism. He is a confirmed sexual predator and misogynist. He has a tenuous relationship to reality, and increasingly retreats into victimology and a persecution complex. He believes himself to be almost literally superhuman and often behaves like a cult leader.

In my many conversations with mental health experts during the Age of Trump, one of their consistent themes has been the suggestion that if the ex-president was not a rich white man he would likely have been arrested or otherwise removed from normal society decades ago.

Fox News "fair and balanced"

If Ziegler was having lunch with Joe Biden, or Hillary, their heads would roll onto the floor and sprout demon wings about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭Glencarraig

Jail the pri*k and let the National Guard deal with whatever the lunatics come up with. A few days of tear gas, rubber bullets and any amount of head opening with batons will have the rats quickly dissappearing back down to the sewers and swamps where they belong.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,706 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I'd say a lot of Republicians are secertly hoping he will have a KFC/McDonalds heart attack and that will put paid to everything from the court cases to him running for President.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,233 ✭✭✭Flaneur OBrien

Maybe some of them could have a word with Vlad. He’s good at that stuff allegedly.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,775 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

*FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT!!"

• Registered Users Posts: 60,706 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

This sums up the likes of her and Trump.

Well worth a listen.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,457 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Trump should stick to the ground floor of buildings

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭maik3n

For further reference

I think thankfully, he is done now in terms of his chances for president.

Floridians just need to figure out how to kick his a55 out of the Governors mansion now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,896 ✭✭✭Rawr

It never ceases to amaze me how spineless the GOP leadership are to the point where they passed up the single best shot they had of jettisoning Trump just following the events of Jan6. Their own membership had been threatened by the terrorists storming the capital since they’d likely not care if the politician was GOP or not (hell there was even one moment where the treacherous nit-wits went through pro-MAGA documents on the seat of a GOP house member thinking they’d found “evidence” of something against them…despite it being the exact opposite.) It was apparent to many of the GOP, even on the day itself, that Trump had sold them up the river and had personally unleashed the Gravy Seals on them.

With all that fresh in everyone’s minds the GOP could have convicted Trump in the impeachment and banned him from office. It would have cost them the most hard-core MAGA / Q-Anon nut jobs, but they’d at least have 4 years to regain their control on the rest of the GOP. But they didn’t convict him…and as time passes the Terrorists become “Tourists” and their violent invasion of the Capitol becomes “peaceful protest”. The violent knuckle-draggers who wanted to “Hang Mike Pence” and even built a gallows for the occasion, are somehow victims.

The GOP lost their best chance to be rid of him and suffer temporary hardship. Biden would likely have won a second term too in this scenario, but at least after 8 years they could at least compete as a GOP Party again, and not just as an extension of the ego of the rapist Donald Trump.

For their own sakes they should try to find their own collective spines and forbid the criminal traitor from running on their ticket. They can’t depend on the Grim Reaper coming along and taking one for the team by actually touching the Orange Lummox, and you just know many of the GOP are hoping for just that. But they can’t count on that, and Trump could live decades more while the GOP slowly rots around him.

This kind of thinking incidentally is exactly why John Eastman is in so much ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,714 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

His cultivation of mass and large centre of gravity makes it both difficult to topple him and to fit him through the majority of windows.

@Rawr

It never ceases to amaze me how spineless the GOP leadership are to the point where they passed up the single best shot they had of jettisoning Trump just following the events of Jan6. Their own membership had been threatened by the terrorists storming the capital since they’d likely not care if the politician was GOP or not (hell there was even one moment where the treacherous nit-wits went through pro-MAGA documents on the seat of a GOP house member thinking they’d found “evidence” of something against them…despite it being the exact opposite.) It was apparent to many of the GOP, even on the day itself, that Trump had sold them up the river and had personally unleashed the Gravy Seals on them.

What do you mean the "GOP leadership"? Trump is their leader. He has been since 2016 or so. He has the hearts and minds of the party's base. The likes of Mitch McConnell and all these guys need those votes to stay in their jobs, and since those votes are largely loyal to Trump, they must be loyal to Trump. They were never in a position to break with him and stay relevant within the party. It's really that simple.

The best scheme they've come up with to get rid of Trump is to replace him with a tepid watered-down version in Ron DeSantis, and it's pretty pathetic. The base know DeSantis is a weak copy and they've said they want the full-fat original. For better or worse, as long as the Republican base is dominated by this mood of ignorance and rage, Trump will be who they want, because he is all that personified in a way that simultaneously manages to be phoney and authentic.

Republican conservative legal scholars Fmr. Judge Luttig and Harvard emeritus constitutional law scholar Lawrence Tribe present the legal argument that the insurrection clause is self-executing, and it's rather compelling. For instance the clause states the Congress may remove the inability by 2/3rds vote. It is not something requiring no other adjudication or prosecution, much like there were no lawsuits demanded to determine the authenticity of Obama's birth certificate, or any candidates birth certificate, these requirements of running are acted upon by secretaries of state:

Their argument in prose:

"The basis of our political systems is the right of the people to make and to alter their Constitutions of Government. But the Constitution which at any time exists, till changed by an explicit and authentic act of the whole people, is sacredly obligatory upon all. The very idea of the power and the right of the people to establish Government presupposes the duty of every individual to obey the established Government." - George Washington

"Having thought long and deeply about the text, history, and purpose of the Fourteenth Amendment’s disqualification clause for much of our professional careers, both of us concluded some years ago that, in fact, a conviction would be beside the point. The disqualification clause operates independently of any such criminal proceedings and, indeed, also independently of impeachment proceedings and of congressional legislation. The clause was designed to operate directly and immediately upon those who betray their oaths to the Constitution, whether by taking up arms to overturn our government or by waging war on our government by attempting to overturn a presidential election through a bloodless coup."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,511 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Problem is, any official in the US could during any election, invoke this.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,775 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

So, instead of attending the debate, 45 is having an interview with Carson.

Surely it can't be *this* Carlson..???

"I am done with Trump and his unfounded claims of a rigged election.

We are very, very close to being able to ignore Trump most nights. I truly can’t wait,” he texted an unidentified person.

I hate him passionately. ... I can’t handle much more of this."

• Registered Users Posts: 19,662 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

I wonder when all his four criminal cases kick off next year what might happen with them overlapping each other. Hes got one beginning January, then March then May and the final one in August. Trumps legal strategy has always been to delay legal cases as much as possible so during them we could see trips to the Supreme Court to iron out some constitutional point of law that he knows he is going to lose but he will use it as a delay tactic to get him to election day in November. Ultimately that is his strategy here, he thinks he can win the White House and then pardon himself of federal crimes. Which is why he wants the Georgia case moved to a federal court like the other three are.

I cant see any way these four cases are going to run to schedule. AFAIK he has to be present in court at all times for each case. So when he delays the first case that then has consequences for all the others. I wont be surprised at all if they run in to 2025 by the time this is done. Because the wheels of justice grind slowly he is going to be around for a good while yet.

The other consequence to all this is the Presidential tv debates, I dont think they will happen at all which will be canning a long standing American tradition. By the time September comes around he'll likely have gag orders on him about speaking on the cases. That means he cant talk about his stolen election schtick which he has traded off for almost 3 years now. With a gag like that on him he would have actually nothing to say because he literally has no policies. If he does show up he is just going to be rantng and raving on about the Biden crime family (grandchildren included now as per his latest rant) and Hunters laptop. While Biden will be just standing there talking about the lowest unemployment numbers since the late 1960s and how his administration has created more jobs than most presidents who came before him. At the debates Trump would turn loads of voters off and just talk himself out of even being remotely competitive on election day.

What's been Tucker's reasoning for these texts? Has he just said they're bogus or what?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,662 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Id say there is no reasoning at all because he never said the texts were fake and they did show up as part of discovery in the Dominion trial so they would have been tested for authenticity at that point.

Tuckers only reasoning is that he might hate Trump but he loves money even more and he is struggling to be relevant now he is off Fox. Its the same with Rupert Murdoch, he hates Trump too but he loves money more, hence why Fox were begging Trump to take part in the Republican primary debates.

Its all about the money for them at the end of the day and they do have a $750m defamation bill to pay to Dominon with another similar amount likely to due to the other voting machine company Smartmatic who are also in the process of suing Fox News. They need Trump for ratings to help pay the massive legal costs that was caused by them repeating Trumps lies about the voting machines. Its actually beautifully circular when you think about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,078 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Well, I presume all the debates will be about the Pink Peril of some "Woke agenda" even though they cannot even define "Woke", let alone define an agenda. They can't exactly concentrate on the old "Red Menace" enemy of Russia anymore because they are practically identical now.

So I assume it will be about drag queens, Christianity in class (good), other religions/no religion in class (bad), vague allegations that LGBTQ community are paedophiles, stolen election, Woke in media, Woke in school, Woke in office. Stolen election. Equal Rights gone mad. Did i mention stolen election? Woke did it.

No debates on the economy (apart from how woke is killing economy). No debates on foreign policy (apart from where this interacts with woke). No debates on jobs (apart from how woke is killing good "mom and pop" Christian jobs). No debate on debt (apart from the cost of woke ideas such as health care).

Is amazing how perversely obsessed the GQP/GOP are with people's sexuality. Getting all sweaty and breathing heavily in some Christian outrage over what stranger's do in their bedroom. Entire state policies based upon what happens in the bedrooms of consenting adults. It is insanely creepy.

Again, the point of 'Woke' is not to define it. In this way you can build an alliance between both far-right elements and moderates. They can agree that 'woke' is bad while never actually discussing what the word means to them. If they were to do so and discover that their subjective definitions were miles apart, the whole thing would likely crumble. This is why prominent figures like DeSantis will not define the word in a public way. It essentially draws a line that splits any voter base in two. It's sort of a McGuffin of a word.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,283 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

Justin Webb in today’s Sunday Times has a big article saying Biden has allowed the DOJ to prosecute his president rival and could have stopped the charges.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,877 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement