Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTÉ admits paying Tubridy €345,000 more than declared

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

I don't think they would have. Bills to pay...to please the lions.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,033 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

There's a good outline of events, on the RTE website at the moment.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,033 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

• Registered Users Posts: 16,478 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

At lunchtime on Wednesday, public relations consultant Ray Gordon issued a statement on behalf of Tubridy in which the presenter welcomed its publication. It was a short statement and included the following line: “It is also clear that my actual income from RTÉ in 2020 and 2021 matches what was originally published as my earnings for those years and RTÉ has not yet published its top ten earner details for 2022.”

up to Wednesday Bakhurst had felt differently. Now he felt that the statement by Tubridy on Wednesday was a reopening of wounds that the station was seeking to close and constituted a breach of trust. 

• Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭stevejr

Did you mean that you don't think Tubridy did anything legally wrong or morally wrong?

In terms of his morals, he has no standing;

-He effectively refused to take a paycut during the 340k top up period. Not one shite given about his so-called 'friends' in the canteen at RTE while taking this side money.

-He knowingly allowed his proxy Kelly and RTE to conspire to conceal these topups.

-Once the heat started to come on, his first statement contained self-serving lies, blameshifting, half-truths and sly appeals for sympathy with the victim card.

-Him and his agent continued these antics in the PAC hearings. They also managed to throw in a big F**k You to the PAC and taxpayer with that bullshit late document stunt.

-During Covid, misled the public that 'we were all in the same boat' when behind the grin, he knew this was untrue.

-Lied to the public one last time with his statement on Wed, attempting to revise history and as usual with lies, it backfired.

The legal side of it isn't all sunshine and roses either.

-Legally he's sitting on €120k of taxpayers money which, despite his pledge to return it, remains resting in his account.

-Legally, Tubridy and his proxy may face exposure because they conspired, along with RTE to possibly defraud the tax payers of this country.

So if you don't think Tubridy did anything wrong, per se, as you say, then I don't know what to tell ya buddy.

What's the reason for being reasonable?

Is that an unreasonable question?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭Field east

These Oireachtais committees eg PAC , etc.

there was a lot of grandstanding, my 15 minutes of fame, asking irrelevant questions, moments of confusion, etc going on through most of the various committee sittings eg “—— and what were you selling for Cadbury’s?” ; And who were you lying/loyal to ? etc, etc, etc, etc, etc.

having said the above there was still a lot of good forensic work done but only a few of the members had the capacity/ skill to do that.

from a technical perspective , all committees should come together to do the following :-

(1) form one committee with a few members from each of the current committees

(2) agree a set of questions to be asked/ areas to be probed

(3) agree who should be invited in To answer these questions

(4) agree that there will be at least two sessions , at least, with this group and maybe even add to it.

this would be necessary so as to analyse the answers given and to follow up with further questions that need to be asked as a result

so if something along the above lines is not adapted , we are going to have more grandstanding, , same question being asked a few times, no ‘joined up thinking being the order of the day, wriggle room provided to the attendance as they saunter off into areas that each committee was not set up to deal with, etc, etc.

the current setup is a very inefficient use of time , very badly focused, allows the attendance to go off on tangents, etc, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,024 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

I found myself watching one of those Irish community tv stations the other day- these should all be closed and their content- both existing and future- transferred across to RTÉ 2 instead - it makes total sense to put them there and then everyone can see in one place all of the efforts RTÉ are doing to help communities- if advertisers want to advertise at greatly reduced rates then great, especially if it supports local businesses - we really have to have a robust conversation around just what is RTÉ doing with all the public money it’s getting and just how is it supporting the whole of Ireland

He’s likely introvert so very comfortable with asking a question and listening to the answer - also very comfortable with silence. The worst interviewer is the one with high energy who can’t wait to “get through the list of questions”.

He was very brave to start this show but improv is a huge part of comedy so the style is very much within his comfort zone- I look forward to his next series- not every episode is brilliant but he’s had consistency through the years and many quality moments throughout

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭Ramasun

Legally he was paid by RTE as per an agreement for his services. He didn't steal the money and it wasn't deposited in his account by accident.

RTE could sue him to have the money returned and they might do that but he obtained the money legally and he won't be charged with any offence. Same goes for your point about the pay deal itself. Any wrong doing would be on RTE's side there.

As for the moral argument I addressed that in my original post. We've all got high moral standards here on the internet though and we'd never do anything like that for €345,000.

Yeah and BTW I’m not telling other posters what to do- it’s a decision I’ve made for myself- for me it’s over now - besides, after this weekend and when the Sunday newspapers have their say, it will be over for Tubridy too- the story will leave not only the front pages but the inside pages too- he’ll be alone with his own thoughts and reflections- I hope he gets employment elsewhere but it’s a big fall from Grace and quite a rapid fall in public sympathy (not without justification I might add).

Post edited by Boards.ie: Paul on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

The idea Ryan has done something illegal is just wrong. He has not. I know some people don’t like him, but that is very nasty.

Ryan has been through a lot this summer, people should be kind to a man who has always been kind to others.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭Field east

Another issue that would have KB pondering over re taking back RT or not is as follows - to add to my previous (5) points :-

(6) RT , being an adult and having a good ‘nose’ and a sharp intellect - given his experience, education , the circles he moved in, his interest in what he earns, etc , MUST HAVE BEEN AWARE of all the behind the scene manoeuvrings going on over four to five years to keep his public stated salary below the €500,000 mark while getting paid above that level. So who would want to employ such an ,apparently ,morally dishonest person

• Registered Users Posts: 2,640 ✭✭✭Nermal

I'm moral enough to know that it's wrong to assist in concocting a scheme to hide my pay while trumpeting the opposite to the nation at large. It's not a particularly high bar.

I also know that invoicing for 'consultancy services' that I didn't provide is not just immoral, but illegal, and if the ODCE was doing it's job I might be expecting a knock on the door from them. I won't hold my breath though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,445 ✭✭✭Tow

Ray Gordon must have lost the magical touch to come out with that statement.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

You are arguing points that weren't made. Read my post again. You are also ignoring points I did make. Not really proper order but sure each to thier own.

The point I made is that if he doesn't return that money, then RTE are can take legal action to recover it. He is no longer entitled to this money because he is no position to fulfill this clause in his contract.

As for your final paragraph, I hope for your sake that's not a Freudian slip. Otherwise I'd worry about your own moral compass. The sad thing is that Tubridy did these things for a sum of money, which in relative terms wasn't a fortune to him.

The 'we' mention in your last paragraph, must only be talkin bout yourself. Don't be projecting your own issues onto the rest of us. Sound.

I think you need to remember a few things:

1. Because RTÉ is a public service broadcaster, there are standards required which many believe he hasn’t met
    2. People want RTÉ cleaned up - the new DG us trying to do that - I would have supported the DG reinstating Ryan if that’s what he felt RTÉ needed to do - however Ryan’s statement on Wednesday left him no choice- he had to go
    3. Very few if any posters here have accused Ryan of illegality - but that doesn’t mean he hasn’t done wrong- on my view he did wrong and others agree in the main
    4. You'll find that this thread will go dormant over the next week as the story disappears from the front pages and people move on- but people, in particular tax payers, are pretty pizzed off with RTÉ right now and in particular the way Ryan’s salary details were handled- some of the comments from Ryan have been less than helpful and some just down right tone deaf - I’m finished with this story in the main but you can’t stop people expressing their view of the situation and of Ryan in particular- this is a discussion forum so naturally enough you’re going to hear views you may not agree with

Maybe reflect a little on just why so many people here are expressing such negativity?

I guess I “kicked” him as he was falling down😆- he’s down now, so for me, that’s it- as I say, I’m not criticising your right to express your view of the situation in any way- totally a personal choice for myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭TOMs WIFE

In 2016:

Chair of the RTÉ Board Moya Doherty said: "The appointment of Dee Forbes stands to mark a significant moment in the development of RTÉ. Not only is this the first Director General in almost 50 years to be appointed externally, but she will also be the first female to hold the role.

"RTÉ is at a pivotal moment, one where the future shape and financing of public service broadcasting is being re-imagined". Ms Doherty added: "I am delighted to have someone with such a breadth of industry experience, such a creative and visionary understanding of the global broadcasting market, and a proven management record".

Joan O'Connor, chairperson of Women in Media, said she was "thrilled" with the appointment describing it as a "progressive" move.

"Creative" indeed!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭robwen

Ha he was being hailed as a great journalist by many on this thread few weeks ago

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭Ramasun

I guess we're not going to reach a consensus.

Tubridy will be treated differently than a plumber hired by RTE in the same circumstances and that is fair because he trades off his public image.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭Virgil°

-Him and his agent continued these antics in the PAC hearings. They also managed to throw in a big F**k You to the PAC and taxpayer with that bullshit late document stunt.

To me this is the most egregious one. An extremely cynical play to keep the Irish public away from their right to due process. And avoid any hard hitting questions. Ryan is clearly allergic to being brought off script. There's no other way to view it.

If he had any sense at all he'd simply have gone into that meeting with an apology. Did NK and Ryan REALLY think that people were stupid enough to believe that the 75k was some separate thing?

I was greedy and dishonest. And I apologise to the Irish public. But I'll give back the 150k immediately and keep going on the radio at a reduced rate if the people of Ireland would find it in their locker to forgive me

This is all that was required. He had no intention of returning to the late late anyway. I think at this stage given that he wasn't gonna be on TV anymore most people would have forgotten him if not forgiven. I've never liked him but I'd probably also have begrudgingly moved on. He'd then have his easy radio gig while still being paid eyewatering money and ample time to make more on the side however he chose.

But it seems its just not in his capability to be contrite and he's far too long in the tooth for the silly innocent child misled by NK to be an excuse. Play stupid games win stupid prizes.

• When the ego is punctured the avenue of last resort is a Court of law.

Yeah definitely a f**k around and find out situation.

But personally I've nothing against Tubridy, ultimately I don't think he's a bad guy. Shallow and spoiled, yeah but not a proper pr*ck. It's tough not to feel for the guy. He's on a hard road(for him). He's also in the ha-penny place compared to some that could be mentioned. A lot of it is down to his agent. Never was a man so badly advised. So publically.

Egos are a detriment to the best of people. And, theres an undeniable subtext to this, the power struggle between Noel Kelly and RTE. This false-friend of Tubridy, seems not have his best client's best interests at heart, either through incompetence or agenda. My overall perception of Kelly throughout PAC was a spoofer, a Del-Boy without the gift of the gab...jabbering on like a broken record about Big Bad RTE. What leverage did Kelly think he had with RTE, that allowed him attack them in PAC without a thought for the repercussions on his clients? Whatever the reasoning, he did Tubridy and the rest of his stable no favours. Was Kelly fighting for himself or Tubridy?

It won't be the last we see of him though, Kelly has a lot of questions to answer as do RTE.

Sadly for Ryan, he didn't widen his circle of advisers throughout this and step outside the echo-chamber Kelly had him trapped in. Hopefully, he will bear this in mind with his next agent. The people who represent you are a reflection of you, ultimately.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭Virgil°

TBH as much as I don't like him personally I actually think he has a good voice for the radio. If he put in a bit of effort to really improve his content and ground himself in public sentiment towards the issues facing the average person he'd have made a decent radio presenter. But he just doesn't live in the same space as average irish joe soap and he never has. So his content came across as cringey and tone deaf.

He was never cut out to interview though. It clearly wasn't in his skillset.

It would be great to get an objective report from an independent firm of Forensic Accountants, a detailed probe accounting for all income and expenditure.

Cause, to be honest with ya, at the moment the whole place looks like Bernie Madoffs' wet dream of a Ponzi scheme. Perpetually funded on the backs of it's regular staff, and a gullible(at best) government with our money.

The Boardroom and senior management, and favoured production companies both past and present have earned eye-watering amounts and for what? Mediocrity slowly fading into irrelevance.

Isn’t it extraordinary how many of us believe your last sentence and have believed that for many many years, and yet he held the helm of TLLS for more than 10 years- where were the checks and balances around quality of performance? - we’re a small country with very few home produced live shows - they need to be high quality and TLLS hasn’t been quality in decades now. There has to be greater account in performers and presenters and not just around the pounds shillings and pence they are either paid or bring in through advertisers

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭toggle toes

You are right we are a small country which means we really don't have big celebrity names that can pull in big audiences and big sponsorship deals. Most of our big celebrities are making a living either in the UK or the US. Because of this reason RTE seem to focus on promoting so called celebrities by splashing them across their TV Radio and social media platforms. It seems to be so easy to become a celebrity in Ireland today with social media and the right agent behind you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,511 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

Tubridy was right when he said RTE is all he's got. You'd wonder if he ever actually did a proper job interview in his life?

Post edited by tobefrank321 on

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Hyperbollix

Unlikely. Didn't he start at RTE as a teen. I'd say it's a certainty every gig he's ever gotten there has been via a nod and a wink.

Few people expressing sympathy with poor Tubs here. Can't say I can summon up any myself. He's earned more in the last decade than everyone on this forum will amass in a lifetime, for doing a pisspoor job. I can guarantee you, he'll never worry about inflation, utility bill rises or wonder how he's going to make it to the end of the month. He hired a shark to do a sharks job. He was fully aware of the underhanded nature of the undisclosed top ups and was happy to play along and make hay off his "we're all together in this" claptrap.

Instead of coming clean and holding up his hands that he and his agent were greedy pigs with snouts in the trough, he's still trying to cling onto the wreckage of his old, now defunct caring sharing Ryan Tubridy persona. He still can't accept any blame and he was only delighted to return to his cushy job, while RTE go into meltdown around him, with imminent job losses incoming, much of which is directly related to him and what would have been his continued presence.

No one should spend a second thinking about Ryan Tubridy or his future because I can assure you he spends no time thinking about anyone else's.

And anyway, like all good Fianna Failers, he'll just have to do a spell in the wilderness and then when all this is old news and long forgotten, he'll be reinstated back in the fold. A near certainty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

Agree Bakhurat hasn't much to be proud of.

Tubridy was coming back.

After all that came out and an amount that hasn't, KB was willing to give him a chance.

Only Tubridy and his hubris did him in...for now.

Rte have learned nothing. It's all smoke and mirrors with them as getting away with whatever they can.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement