Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

F1 2023 thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,410 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Another 11 days to go before FP1. 😒

Not as funny as previous ones but still gave me a chuckle, especially Sainz.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,263 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

This is all very undignified by Massa. And the worst part is, it's all based on sh1t stirring by the biggest sh1t stirrer that ever stirred a pot of sh1t, Bernie Eccleston.

Bernie now says he can't remember saying it in the first place. Massa should have more sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,966 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

One week to go to free practice at Zandvoort.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,452 ✭✭✭Harika

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,149 ✭✭✭✭flazio

• Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭quokula

How is it undignified? It’s been outright admitted that the FIA engaged in a deliberate cover up which directly robbed him of that title.

He’s got every right to sue for the millions in lost earnings that would have come of that.

Ha. Where has it been admitted that they engaged in a cover up and how on earth would that give him the right to sue 15 years later?

Sue for what? He hasn't even quantified what it cost him. Should they take the championship from Hamilton and give it to Massa?

Ecclestone admitted it a few months ago. They knew about the race fixing but decided to cover it up because they didn’t want to change the championship result.

Obviously the championship won’t change hands but there is a huge loss of earnings for Massa that’s become of this, and action is being taken now because it is only now that the information has come to light.

How will they quantify the cost? The same way as any time someone loses earnings or suffers damages as the result of the illegal or negligent action of someone else - through a settlement or a court decision.

Do we have the article where Eccleston admitted it?

From the article: "Intriguingly, Ecclestone has now said he could not remember giving the interview that led to Massa's legal campaign and added that he hasn't been approached by Massa or his legal team to verify his comments".

Eccleston is an absolute lier and it wouldn't count for much if he did admit it, but now he apparently can't remember admitting it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,452 ✭✭✭Harika

Ecclestone has an axe to grind with liberty so he is happy to send the useful idiot to make his hands dirty.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,361 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

If I was massa I'd be fairly bitter and do just as he is doing.

I've a feeling they will throw about 20 million at him to quietly make him go away with no admission of him having been wronged.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

Sorry, what's the angle that Massa has, if any?

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

He lost the championship on equal points but had fewer race wins than Hamilton. And Singapore was the year of crashgate - Piquet crashed the lap after alonso pitted ridiculously early so he took the lead after the safety car and won the race. There's a whole story around why Renault needed to win a race or else Renault was going to pull the team out of F1.

Massa was on to win the race with a lights to flag victory but Ferrari ballsed up his pitstop in spectacular fashion and he finished 14th, Hamilton finished near the front (3rd I think) so he took points off Massa.

Given Renault cheated, they should have been excluded from the race but Massa is arguing that the entire race should be voided and nobody should get points from it. There's no precedent for that which makes it a speculative bid at best and a sad act at worst.

If Renault were excluded for cheating, which is the normal approach, then Hamilton would move up to 2nd and Massa moves up to 13th, so the points gap actually grows between them at the end of the season and Hamilton wins on points rather than race wins.

It's undignified and Massa should know better than to get involved in a spectacle like this as if he has an ambulance chasing, no-win no-fee lawyer.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

Ah yes, #CrashGate. Thanks. I suppose he should feel hard done by. I was nearly thinking Glock was to blame somehow 🤣

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

The-Race does a decent review of it here

Poor aul Glock was guilty of being a bit rubbish. Beyond that he's innocent.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,361 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

It appears the rules allow for the race result to be cancelled or so I've read.

From Massas point of view, he would have finished ahead of Hamilton everything being normal in the race so really just excluding renault would appear to be an insufficient action.

The crux of it is the recent revelations from Ecclestone that the FIA knew about the race fixing before the end of the season and knew that the only correct course of action would change the championship result, so chose to cover it up instead.

They waited until the following year to officially investigate it when the championship could no longer be changed. Up until Ecclestone's admission we were all led to believe the evidence only came to light at that time, which is why there was never a protest before now.

The championship can not change hands now and it never will, but that will not be the point of the legal proceedings. The point will be to attempt to recover loss of earnings based on the fact that the FIA knowingly robbed Massa of a title that could have been transformative for his career and led to millions in direct and indirect earnings. It's certainly worthy of examination before a court should they fail to reach a settlement.

I just finished Marc Priestly's "The Mechanics Tale" as it so happens.

It was a s#it piece of cheating but outside the control of the FIA, Ferrari and McLaren. You just have to race to the conditions presented to you, much like the dreaded Abu Dhabi 21. Ferrari effed up the pitstop. That cost them the championship more than Renault.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,015 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

If it had come out during the weekend or shortly afterwards that Renault had cheated, the only response from the FIA that would have made sense would have been to exclude the Renault result. Everybody else would have shuffled up. So whether there was a delay or not, I don't see how it would have ever resulted in the entire race being ignored for results purposes. Seems crazy to bring proceedings now, but maybe he's doing it to get some money and have case dismissed?

• Advertisement

Excluding Renault would be insufficient for Massa to win the championship but it would also be the normal sanction for cheating and it wouldn't make any difference to the championship.

Massa finished 14th in that race because Ferrari made a total balls of his pitstop. Ferrari has a rich history of ballsing up pitstops.

If the FIA covered it up, the purpose of the cover up wasn't to illegally make Hamilton champion. Who won the championship was irrelevant to any potential cover-up,

First para doesn't make sense. If they knew Renault cheated before the end of the season, how could they know their action would change the championship. Excluding renault would have given Hamilton more points and guaranteed him the championship before the last race. So if anything, their inaction gave Massa a shot at the title in the last race.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,966 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

It's race week.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,444 ✭✭✭recyclops

Yep I cant wait bringing the wife to her first race weekend, flying out on Thurs weather aint looking great so race could be exciting

Had to look back at the championship standings for that year to remind myself.

So Hamilton won by 1 point. As you say, if Alonso was excluded from the Singapore results it would have bumped Hamliton from 3rd to 2nd giving him an extra 2 points. Massa would still have had zero points from that race going from 13th to 12th. Based on that scenario then Lewis would have been leading the championship by 9 points going into the last race instead of the 7 he actually led by in reality. So, no difference in the outcome of the title.

Anyway, to say "the FIA knowingly robbed Massa of a title" is just incorrect (I know you didn’t say that 🙂). If anything, Ferrari possibly lost Massa the title because of the balls up with the fueling hose. I don't know how Massa has any leg to stand on with this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 thanhdatmedical
    Thành Đạt Medical

Which team will win this year in F1 racing village?

Fair one. Thanks for doing the research and clarifying.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Schorpio

I don't think the outcome of the '08 championship should be changed.

However, as I understand it, Massa (or his legal team) are arguing that the entire race at Singapore should have been null-and-voided. That scenario would have handed Massa the championship.

Stricking out the results of an entire race does seem drastic, but there is some logic to it. The actions of Renault brought out the safety car and fundamentally changed the outcome of the race. You can't undo the actions of the cheaters by simply disqualifying them.

Contrast that to something like Vettel in Hungary 2 years ago. AM broke the rules as they didn't have sufficient fuel in the car. Therefore, Vettel was disqualified. But the rule break affected him and him only.

But then, what do you do about those races where the pole sitter is only there because they caused a red flag to scupper their rivals. Are those Grand Prix null and void entirely?

• Advertisement

It's impossible to rectify what happened fairly unless you have a time machine. 😁

For sure the crash changed the race completely - but if the race was to be voided then you are taking away points/positions from everyone else too, not just Hamilton. So you are punishing others for the actions of one team. Not a hope that would ever be done.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement