Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2023 RWC Buildup, Squads, Fixtures 'etc'

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,964 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

No - Any suspension will start from the date of the offence.

As a general rule , you keep players stood down until the decision is finalised.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭swiwi_

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 8,140 ✭✭✭fitz

Can't see it, tbh. If he'd shouldered one of our players, sure, but I really don't think an Irish crowd would have been booing him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,808 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Yeah, I don't think there would have been a massively negative reaction, if nothing else out of respect to our coach.

Incidentally I see Andy has made some comments today. I don't know if he made them voluntarily or was asked by a journalist. If a journalist did ask I'd be interested to know what sort of answer they thought they were going to get!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,188 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

I'd say whoever asked is going to be persona non grata around the squad for a while.

I don't agree with Farrell's answer, but what they hell was the journalist expecting? Its a completely unfair question to ask.

(I'm just assuming it wasn't an unprompted comment as that would be completely out of character).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭standardg60

Spill the beans lads, what did he say?

I think he's wrong, but what did anyone expect him to say?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

Love this from Farrell

“What I probably would say is that, at this moment in time, the circus that has gone around all of this is absolutely disgusting, in my opinion, disgusting and I suppose those people who have loved their time in the sun get a few more days to keep going at that.”

Warren Gatland better keep a low profile when he turns up at Lansdowne road for the 6N

Well, tbf, while I think Owen Farrell has brought any ban he gets on himself, the outrage about the decision has seen plenty of unpleasant comments about him, and I can see how being close to it, the reaction could feel very personal. Can't be nice to deal with at a human level.

And tbh, it has been a circus, but that's on the panel and WR not having well enough defined guidelines for them. Not Farrell.

But he's the face of it... While I don't have much sympathy if he misses out on games, I do empathize with how difficult this kind of backlash must be to handle as a person.

Stupid thing for a journalist to ask his Dad about though...have some tact.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,005 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

I'd say AF was intentionally focusing on something else ("the circus") to avoid saying too much about the tackle itself. Hardly a surprising response from him. Haven't seen his full comments, maybe he did discuss the tackle in more detail.

• Advertisement

Ah fair. I don't read anything where I would see personal comments directed at Owen (never read the comments!) but the furore over the original decision was entirely justified.

If it somehow brings WR around to taking head injuries more seriously (big if) then it's a positive.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,484 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Best way to choose your 12s for the final 33 is to play all 3 at once I guess

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,327 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Andy Farrell's response should have been 'I have nothing to say publicly about this matter, next question please'.

That Owen is is son, is utterly irrelevant to Irish Rugby and the Ireland team.

If they pushed him, he should have done what many Manager's at press conferences have done before, just sipped his water in silence until the PRO moved the journos on to Ireland related topics.

I loved his response. Its what any father would say. Protecting his son. And didn't get drawn into the ins and outs of the tackle/ban fiasco.

Fair play to him.

Shame on the hack.

Agreed, it sounds like a from the heart statement in relation to his son and something he wanted to get off his chest.

Re the possible booing, if it was anyone else I would have expected it, but I think Irish fans would have too much respect for Andy to boo his son in front of him, and from the statement I think it would have hurt.

I also think Owen went into the disciplinary hearing fully expecting a ban, and the change of direction argument was hoping to mitigate a possible 6 game ban to 3. I doubt he even expected it to be rescinded.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,484 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

He pleaded not guilty to a red card offence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,327 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Shame on the hack for sure, but now its become the story. It shouldn't be anything to do with the story.

By the way, the reason Andy Farrell is disgusted with the circus around is different to the reason most of the rest of us are disgusted with the circus around it. And thats why he should have said absolutely nothing.

Wouldn't have made much sense to plead guilty and then make the direction argument. He had no other mitigation, no good record, player injured etc. so was really the only avenue.

If 99% of people were surprised at the outcome i doubt he wasn't one of them. There's a good video of his own reaction (and that of the Welsh players) online when the replay was shown in the stadium, i'll dig it out.

Overall i think he was frustrated at his own performance, he'd dropped the ball when a passing attempt hit his own hip and then kicked a woeful cross field kick just prior to the incident.

Reminded me of Keane when he said if he was having a poor game the red mist would descend and he'd smash someone. I think he's a decent enough bloke, i think a lot saw a different side of him in the press conference prior to the 6N game. If he'd been banned then there would be no circus, biggest fault i can see with the disciplinary panel is they were all from the same country, that should not happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

He may be a decent bloke off the pitch, I don't doubt that he is. Off the pitch isn't really relevant to the fact that he keeps tackling dangerously and endangering the health of his fellow players on the pitch. And for some reason doesn't get sanctioned properly the vast majority of the time.

Sidenote, TAS can go and shite regardless of their take on this matter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,128 ✭✭✭OldRio

Just no. You are utterly wrong. A father protecting his son is what any father does. He basically said that in his statement.

Anyway it's a non story.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,787 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

completely correct

time to move away from this particular corner of the whole grubby issue.

Hopefully the new Judicial panel come back with a much more sensible conclusion

I think it was RTE that asked the Qs.

Saying absolutely nothing is not the type of man Farrell is.

..I mean speaking of RTE. Tubirdy and his statements and utterances...there is an example of what not to do or say!

Farrell comes across as very genuine person. I salute him for giving his opinion and for what he said.

Mixed opinions online but I'm very jealous of that away jersey from Argentina.

Don't like the Ireland jersey at all to be honest. I'm likely to get it as a memento for winning the World Cup but I wouldn't have bothered otherwise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,534 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Those are sensational alright. It's incredible how poor the design stylings of most jerseys are. Whole industry of fashion designers, and we basically a colour slider being moved left or right.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,603 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Argentina always seem to have amazing jerseys..

And jerseys with a proper collar are just better.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭MaddChris

Finally some rugby to talk about :D

Kolisi making an immediate impact, lovely offload for that try.

Shocking defence from Wales to open a huge gap in the line for SA to waltz through for that try. Much too easy.

Libbok clearly the weak link in this SA team, lovely cross field kick to the Welsh winger.

Meanwhile, Kolbe doing Kolbe things.......

• Advertisement

Nice team try with one bit a luck.

Wales and 6's and 7's defending that

Advertisement