Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aer Lingus Fleet/ Routes Discussion Pt 2 (ALL possible routes included)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭moonshy2022

Not arguing that fact.

Again I was answering the question “will they announce an order at the same time”.

no chance, and I was correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,709 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭sherology

Oh wow... There's a kick in the nuts... It's seasonal at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭kevinandrew

Both airlines will have a fight on their hands, Delta flying from one of their hubs while Aer Lingus will be flying from theirs.

Delta being seasonal while Aer Lingus plan to go daily year round with the XLR will give them some advantage.

Seems Delta missed a perfect opportunity last year and missed getting their announcement in first this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭Shamrockj

Ouch that’s quite a reaction ! At least A330-200 X4 a week is relatively low risk schedule and will switch to A321NEOXLR when it arrives and EI can compete better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭Bussywussy

Not really a reaction considering DL were supposed to start it last year, I think crew shortages stopped that.

They never announced it only filed for slots. Launching it the same day as ei is certainly a reaction, DL is known for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭HTCOne

As were Northwest before the merger.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,464 ✭✭✭✭cson

Preclearance is going to be a **** show next summer. Its already bursting at the seams before this capacity comes online. The stand situation too is going be horrendous, there'll be a lot of time spent waiting for a gate on the 7-10am arrivals.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,173 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

Somehow, this summer seemed to be ok… Better than last anyway somehow

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Murph85

Denver is a great new route... glad to see a new one that isn't dull as dishwater for a change!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,500 ✭✭✭Jack1985

DL on MSP won’t affect EI,

EI are thankfully not reliant on P2P between IRL and US since long haul nearly tanked in 2009.

For example Icelandair and Delta compete on KEF. I also don’t believe it was a reaction, if anything that would've been EI noting DL’s ACL filing in 23. DL is also seasonal with the wrong aircraft to be able to even compete in Winter.

They compete for different traffic at respective hubs. Apologies if that doesn’t fit the doom narrative.

Oneworld and further AA/BA coordination expected soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Noxegon

They do compete for different traffic, but I think it's a stretch to say that DL won't affect EI.

There will be an effect on P2P. The scale of it is debatable – but anyone with SkyTeam status will likely prioritise DL.

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

It might not be a reaction in the sense that they had it in mind but announcing it hours after EI is definitely a reaction.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

The security check has changed somewhat which helps get you into the actual queue for immigration

A lot of this is the US CBP's fault, the self service machines disappeared and they did wonders to move things along. No MPC support either (only helpful for US citizens)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,971 ✭✭✭EchoIndia

I wonder will there be a change in how stands are used, with more bussing to remote parking (for the smaller narrowbodies) when the extra northern stands become available. I used Emerald recently and was pleasantly surprised that the time taken to get to and from the aircraft by bus was not that significant, even though they park near the hangars. If EI adopted this practice for some A320 departures, it should alleviate the pressure on T2 at peak times.

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭MICKEYG

A walking route to the south gates would also help. Departing and arriving you seem to have to go around the houses on a bus.

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭moonshy2022

Absolutely it would. Used it last Sunday, I have no issue with the facility itself. Getting there is fine. But the return bus journey takes you the full length of the T2 pier unnecessarily and I’m sure they could find somewhere for the bus to do a 180° closer and reduce that travel time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

The outbound to south gates is fine, the return with the sightseeing tour could be fixed by some traffic management to allow the bus to turn right and run contra flow to the drop off. They are called bus lanes...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Murph85

The reason I'm avoiding g aer lingus fir routes Ryanair serve. The insane palatal scenic bus tours. . One entry and exit point used to embark and disembark... not to mention taking your hand luggage off you... not even having the option to pay to bring it onboard... q for over an hour in the mornings instead... longer than many flights... its a joke

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭dublin12367

Hand luggage is put in hold free of charge, unlike Ryanair who charge to put it in the hold as well as charging to bring it on the plane.

There is an option to pay a small fee with aerlingus to bring your cabin bag on board also.

EI in my experience tend to be better than Ryanair in punctuality and comfort.

I will say, last week I was on 330 to Malaga, in the business class seat and air host refused to give the earphones to use in flight entertainment. Transatlantic flight only she said they are for. I have previously received them on the Faro flight. After paying 90 euro for the seat, I was less than impressed with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭shamrocka330

Had the same experience last week….was flying on the A330 from Faro and there were no headphones. Just odd to have the IFE available, which is a great point of difference vs. the competition, but not offer earphones.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭kevinandrew

I’d take the free 10kg Aer Lingus offer as hold luggage any day over paying to carry it around the airport and then trying to find space for it once on board. I find it allows for a much more relaxed experience at the airport, particularly during security and boarding.

I have an upcoming flight with Ryanair and they want €20 each way to carry on a 10kg bag or €27 to check it in. Aer Lingus will check it in for free or €9.99 to carry it on.

It’s one of the few advantages now but it’s a big one for me.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,173 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

That’s disappointing

Twice last year I was on the a330 once to Malaga and once to Faro, the crew gave out earphones where they had them to give.

Theyre not actually supplied for euro flights like they are on Atlantics where you’ll find your pair waiting for you on your seat cushion

The best option when you have none is subtitles :/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

Headphones aren’t provided on short haul because for hygiene reasons they have to be removed at the end of the flight. Short haul flights don’t get cleaners on at the outstation and there just isn’t the time available for crew to scour every seat pocket to take out used headphones on such short turnarounds.

You’ll find that a 330 or 321 will often have some spare ones lying around and some crew will hand them out if they find them, but it’s not supposed to be done. Anyway you can connect your phone to the screens and use your own headphones via your phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭shamrocka330

You’re right, they aren’t provided on the european flights so, to be fair to the crew, there’s nothing they can do about it other than having to explain the situation to every passenger that asks!

Malaga and Faro on A330 does get cleaned at the outstation

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭sherology

Might be an idea to tell folks when announcing the service commencement... 'You're welcome to use the reduced IFE offering with your own wired headphones or use the subtitles if not. We don't carry headphones for sale on short haul flights '. Make it part of the spiel for these frames. Or sell them for take-away.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

They don’t, cleaners come in and empty the bins that’s it! They’ll take any empty bottles/wrappers left of top of the seats by crew when doing a walk trough but they’re in and out so quick they’d be gone before anything substantial is gathered up for them, they don’t come in with hoovers or go into seat pockets etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭dublin12367

I agree, I’d have no problem paying a couple of quid for them. But after paying 90 euro for the business seat (I know it’s not a business class service, just the seat ) they should be at the very least providing them with these seats.

Advertisement