Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What’s your most controversial opinion? **Read OP** **Mod Note in Post #3372**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭Jack Daw

Although I wouldn't go that far I do think that team sports are over promoted and if there was more promotion and encouragement of individual sports you;d have fewer people quitting sport and probably we'd unearth lots of top quality sports men and women we never knew we had.Not everyone is suited to team sports and looking back I wish I had more opportunities or as encouraged to do an individual sport when I was younger.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭realitykeeper

Evicting defaulters would stimulate the housing market. One of the reasons second hand house sales are sluggish is coz the housing market is rigged. In an unrigged market (not propped up with the 200 billion we borrowed to re blow the property bubble) there would be far more houses for sale for less than 200k.

Post edited by realitykeeper on

• Registered Users Posts: 7,595 ✭✭✭suvigirl

Only one problem, where do the defaulters go? If they have lost their home because they can no longer house themselves, then it's onto social housing lists, with government not building nearly enough houses for decades, they will be buying more and more private houses for social tenants.

private buyers competing with the state, who have endless resources, haven't a hope of buying a home.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭cms88

Controversial opinion. Having a child and being a mother isn't an achievement.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,742 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

100%

We are supposedly a diverse and tolerant country but my God, the sheer amount of people in Ireland who do literally nothing but work and drink is staggering. Their whole lives are based around the next trip to the pub or wedding or any venue where they can just drink all night. I get the social element, fair enough, but you can be social without getting drunk.

And its especially prevelant in younger people. In my last job, the lads in their 20s and 30s would talk about nothing else but drink, their favorite pubs and the next gaa match where they could get drunk afterwards. Its sad that so many people in Ireland have nothing to talk about besides drinking, when you have hiking, sports, hobbies, painting, debating etc etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭mikemac2

Dublin Airport have gotten a reputation for breaking planning permission and they should stick to the rules they agreed to.

On the other hand I’ve heard quite a few radio shows sending a roving reporter to North Dublin. Oh we heard of children’s tears, mental health breakdowns and without context you’d think the State was torturing people.

The expansion plans were there for decades. Sure Dublin Airport deserve a kicking if they break rules but if the planning permission are respected those who bought in the area can suck lemons.

And those in St Margaret’s realy have some neck complaining.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,610 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Even with the current planning permission (which should probably be changed to a noise allowance to take into account quieter modern planes and switched to 12-6), 65 flights (one every 8 minutes) could go overhead during the night, they seem to be arguing about 25 more night flights as if that was the breaking point for something that's been known is going to happen for decades.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭pgj2015

Drinking can be good craic, not the guys who drink in pubs every day, thats just depressing to me but drink can facilitate a great night at times, looking back at my college years, if you took the drink out of the nights out, id say there would be zero craic in fairness, we probably wouldnt have met as many women on them nights out and I think when im on my death bed I will remember them crazy nights rather than remember that time I went on the hike or had the great debate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,739 ✭✭✭It wasnt me123

It is really, one of the most amazing things to do (I have a wonderful daughter). To give life to another human being.

That said, the super mummies like Yvonne Keating and Rosanna Davison to name two, that have a team of cleaners, makeup people, marketing etc, boil my blood. That isn’t normal or to be congratulated. We could all be super mummies if we married well and had a team of staff to clean our mess.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,923 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Listening to women soccer players going on about equal pay . If and when people buy sports packages to watch them , by all means pay them the same . Until then realise your not a premium product, like the efl if you like .

• Advertisement

A few years ago the US womens team tried to push for this. When it turned out they were actually getting more than the mens team they very quickly had little to say about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

So much schadenfreude from Irish people when England lose. Falling over themselves on twitter, not an endearing trait.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Private hospitals get to cherrypick their patients. And when things get messy, they get to dump those patients on the public health service to clean up their messes. It's a lot easier to 'perform better' when you can limit your customer demand.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,964 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Ah but it's not though, it's more unusual to not become a mother and said women would be hounded until it's too late by people telling them they're missing out. Basically, aside from medical issues, any woman can become a mother. I think the poster was indicating that the simple act of becoming a mother is not an achievement, and is in fact a minimum standard, and the calling it an achievement belittles how much work one actually has to put in to make an actual achievement of creating spawn that won't be a burden to anyone else. At that point, mothers can say they have achieved rearing a child correctly. But just popping out a kid, the act which makes one a mother, is not an achievement. In fact, there's so many women having children that it's just standard.

But raising a child to not be a burden to anyone else, yes, achievement unlocked. Then again, some women can say it's an achievement considering most men would be wondering how anyone could impregnante it in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

But just popping out a kid, the act which makes one a mother, is not an achievement.

The poster was making the point that Hannah didn’t even do that much, that she did nothing more than the bucketloads of men who have performed well after their wives/girlfriends gave birth:

https://www.irishmirror.ie/lifestyle/inside-dublin-gaa-star-hannah-30717451

I can see why their opinion might be considered controversial 😬

There might even be something to it if men in GAA circles hadn’t historically been given the credit for their wives producing half a hurling team of children 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭orourkeda1

I think this about smokers.

Drinking has anti-social aspects (thoses caused by excessive consumption) but can be social when done properly.

Smoking is a disgusting, unhealthy and anti-social habit no matter when, where or how often you do it.

Same goes for dopeheads.

https://www.orourkeda.blog

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭JeffreyEpspeen

Avonmore is a racist company. Their commercial is the only one on Irish TV that doesn't have a black person in a speaking role or in the background of every scene.

The government has no incentive to solve the housing crisis and every incentive to keep it going. More houses mean lower prices for the houses that already exist. That is a big no no for our government because if house prices start to fall, mortgage holders will start to default and that will speed up the fall in house prices. Therefore, renovating derelict properties, repurposing office buildings, building social housing are things the government will only do reluctantly but they pretend they want to do these things. They really don't. Proof is in the pudding.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,429 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Not sure how lower house prices would make people default. Might have trouble moving,but I'd imagine you'd get less defaulters with lower costs.

A lot of well-meaning noises out of them, some tinkering around the margins and that's about it. Tbh most of the home owning public don't give a crap either, quite happy to object to new housing near their precious home.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,911 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

I think it's an achievement for a sexually active woman not to have children.

It takes planning to prevent pregnancy.

Same goes for men using condoms, obviously.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Well in fairness black people account for less than half a percent of the population of Ireland

History tells us they default when falling house prices result in negative equity. You don`t have to be very old to remember that. When house prices are falling, you also get fewer buyers because everyone will wait for them to bottom and they wouldn`t have to wait long. Asset prices go up via the staircase and down by jumping out the window. The government (be they FF, FG or SF) will do everything they can to stop that from happening. If they fail, then aspiring homeowners have a chance.

Post edited by realitykeeper on

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,028 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Not only are the gov incentivised to have high housing prices, but the home owning population (66%) do too.

The gov collects more tax this way, and home owners have the value of their property propped up by it. If the sector increased supply until prices fell, existing homeowners would lose out. This is an inconvenient truth.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭Cordell

The government would win a lot more if there will be a lot more houses built, the taxes on the building activities and trades would be a lot more than the LPT. And then when the building is finished there will be more houses to pay LPT to offset the drop in price. And then the general economic growth would bring even more taxes. So there are much more economic incentives to actually encourage building more houses.

Moving away from cash is a good thing for everyone.

For businesses, well the ones who put everything on the books, it costs more in time etc to take large amounts of cash in time and charges, Businesses who say it costs them €100 plus per moth to take card payments are just making it it.

As for the people who worry about being tracked or whatever BS it's really their own problem if they're doing stuff they shouldn't be doing.

Who is going to build all these houses? Where are all these tradesmen going to appear out of?

There are definitely charges for credit and debit cards for businesses.

I know there are. But you see business say they're being charged x amount per month, but for them to be charged the amount they claim they'd need to be taking tens of thousands of euro by card per month. The charges to loge cash are much higher also.

• Advertisement

Any vaguely busy store would have a turnover in tens of thousands per month.

Anyhoo dunno why people get bothered either way.

Advertisement