Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ire versus England - RTÉ 2 Saturday Aug 19th 17.30pm

Options

Comments

I have a funny feeling the AB's are going to thump France in the first game and there will be an almighty clamour to win pool B if that's the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lbj666

And go into a must win against Scotland the 2 week later ? That week off is the only blessing. This draw doesn't for allow pacing themselves that's the bloody problem....

There's no one game decides 1st and 2nd in the pool luxury for us that's the problem nor could allow ourselves to f up like France vs Tonga in 2011 or SA vs Japan in 2015.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 8,081 ✭✭✭fitz

That opening game is going to be an absolute cracker. I think it's too close to call.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

It should be - but there is something off with France.

They're a quality team, class all through their 23 but they've not looked sharp in the warm ups. I've put that down to them maintaining a high conditioning work load through the fixtures but they haven't showed the form and cohesion of the All Blacks. I can't shake the idea that a bad opening 20 minutes against New Zealand and France could implode.

I'm glad we just dismantled England without going up the gears. For a first proper run out it's a much bigger statement than I think people are giving credit and I'm quite optimistic about everything bar the draw we're facing into.

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭Iamabeliever

As pre WC games go it's very hard to gauge overly but I think the most pleasing thing is the efficiency in the scoring zone is still excellent.

A lot of unforced errors but I think these are fixable going into the WC. Mentioned before but I taught on first viewing RB was quite poor in general play and of the tee. I think Crowley will have a leg up going to the WC.

I think predergast confirmed today he is not a no. 8 but he certainly could do a job as a bench option.

Think Tom Stewart needs a start next week. For some reason he could be the bolter!

Delighted for Earls to get his try. Roll on Samoa.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lbj666

And the overthinking will go into overdrive ..if France **** the bed first night it doesn't mean they will a few weeks later and remember ...they're at home. It would be at least 60% Irish crowd against the ABs. If anything it would lend to their traditional fickle nature which they have left behind recently.

Remember what they did in the quarters in 2007 after being stunned by the Argies opening night. 2011 well beaten by the ABs in the pools .. then an out of nowhere performance against England in the 1/4s.

If the All Blacks thumps France opening night, and someone said - who do you want Ireland to play in a knockout game, France or New Zealand - I'd say France.

I suspect the current Irish setup would say 'either'.

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭Iamabeliever

My prediction would be the same for NZ to win that first game, but I cant say I would rather play no. 2 in the world and hosts of the WC in the QF.

NZ are peaking for that first game and if they get a couple of injuries namely Jordie at 12 (think he is pivotal for there attacking shape and NZ are fairly light in options at 12), could be the team to play. Even if they were superb in the RC

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,418 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

• Registered Users Posts: 8,534 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,140 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Re-watching some highlights of the game. Just seen that it was Maro Itoje and Kyle Sinkler that Joe McCarthy counter-rucked through to steal the ball in the 63rd minute.

Freakish strength.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,418 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

• Registered Users Posts: 2,224 ✭✭✭All_in_Flynn

Well that was mostly very positive wasn't it? For a first hit out of the season for most of the players, you really couldn't ask for more. Again for me, the most positive aspect was the physicality. Following on from the Italy game, I thought the players looked strong and dominant for the most part whilst still clearly a fair bit away from hitting top gear. England are a couple of weeks ahead in their prep and they were still trying all they could to slow the game down.

Are we thinking a 19/14 split then? I can't see any of McCarthy, Baird or Prendergast being left at home. What about McCarthy by the way!? Haven't been this excited about a forward since Sean O'Brien. Who was it that he picked up like a toddler?

Very hard to pick between Ross and Crowley for me. I agree with others that I would worry about Ross if he was in from the start against SA but I think it's still his shirt to lose at the moment. Crowley is maturing quickly though.

The absolute state of England. I can't believe that a union of that size, has produced that team. All they have is a lineout. It's incredible really when you think about it. Just complete and utter mismanagement from the very top down.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,500 ✭✭✭ersatz

Starting to feel like France is the preferable opponent if we get to a 1/4 final. I’d say Ireland will feel they’ve the measure of the ABs but they’ve started to look like a seriously formidable team to me while France have had injury setbacks and have not looked really slick since the England 6N match.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,729 ✭✭✭CMcsporty

Sheehan better not be injured.

Felt like ireland played that game in second gear. Opportunities missed for Prendergast and Byrne.

Keenan 7; Hansen 7, Ringrose 7, Aki 7, Lowe 7; Byrne 5, Gibson-Park 5; Porter 7, Sheehan 6, Furlong 5; Beirne 6, Ryan 6; O’Mahony 5, van der Flier 6, Prendergast 4,

Rep Herring 5, Loughman 5, Bealham 6, McCarthy 6, Doris 5, Murray 5, Crowley 6, Earls 6

Bealham the best tight head in Ireland right now. Never thought I’d say that!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Mimon

WTF, seriously dude. What was it that Eddie Jones said to those journalists "Give yourself an uppercut" wasn't it?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,580 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Good post syd but this:

Ross Byrne was commander in chief

Jesus, I dunno, that sounds over the top to me. The 2 assists were executed well after a lot of the hard work was done inside him, but the word that comes to mind for me is "functional", and that's about the height of it.

He'll rarely be terrible. But he'll also never be brilliant.

Absolutely delighted for Keith Earls, what a legend. Personally think he had to get into the air early for the try, it was an excellent finish tbh.

You could see how happy the other players were for him, which speaks for how well he is thought of in the squad. Would love to see him add to that total to make the RWC squad. He's exactly the kind of guy you'd want in that Tonga game so could happen yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,368 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Even if they don't the answer for me is still France. All day, every day.

• Advertisement

Watch the start of this gif

More clearly here - go to 40s:

Ross Byrne shouts the call (you can see his eyes venture cross field simultaneously).

VDF and Beirne run the dummy and as soon as Hansen has the ball he puts in the kick to Ringrose.

That was all pre planned, backfield defence had no idea it was coming.

One of the other nice parts of that try was Lawes whinging when Lowe cleared him away from any potential **** after the tackle on POM.

I found this moment in a ruck funny.

https://streamable.com/r1t52p

Bealham gets in first and totally distracts the first Englishman, Porter drives someone back in a ruck, McCarthy comes in then and gets stuck in, but keeps his eye on the ball and continues driving someone back. Then quite blatantly kicks the ball out the English side of the ruck, while on the deck and Ryan picks and kicks. How the ref was looking at that and went "Yeah, fair enough", is beyond me but that's some proper dickhead from McCarthy and I love it.

Side note: great hit from Ross Byrne after he crabbed past Crowley and then great work from Porter after that. And to be fair to Stewart, very cool from him too.

The semi-set play Ireland ran from a resulting attacking ruck after a lineout a few minutes later was beautiful. Itoje being offside for it makes it all the sweeter but the set of passes, Porter - Prendergast - JGP - Byrne - Hansen. Ugh, it was just gorgeous.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,534 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

He'll be in the squad for a while. Using others as playmaker helps him. He's solid.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,571 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

Nonsense.

There are some players in the squad who should not start against SA in the group stages, players like sexton and any front line player carrying a knock.

If we cant beat tonga or Scotland we may as well be on the first flight home.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭sxt

Jean kleyn and co will run over Ross like he was one of those yellow caution wet floor signs

• Registered Users Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭clsmooth

I’d be more concerned playing France due to the fact we’d be playing the host nation at home. Dodgy camera angles and I’d be worried we’re not going to get the 50/50 calls in that one. I’d prefer New Zealand as their aura with us (and the match officials) isn’t what it used to be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,686 ✭✭✭Shehal

Think about it, 3 weeks out from the RWC Ireland fans are finding flaws in a 19 point win over a full strength England team despite playing in 2nd gear for most of the match whereas SA fans are wetting themselves with excitement because they beat Wales' 3rd team. Let that tell you who's in a better spot going into a RWC.

Advertisement