Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Thread - Mod note post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭thesultan

Daly did his cruciate

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭TheScoringGoal

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭Mastermcgrath

Harty Cup draws are out

the most alarming thing is that we only have one team every other county has minimum 3

looks like they’ve found a miracle cure. Both Dalys are named to start today

• Registered Users Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭thesultan

County board haven't updated the programs since the first week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,839 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Abysmal coverage of the championship, you’d barely know games were on. Had to go hunting for results of games the last few weeks (let alone match reports) and again today couldn’t find the result of the Sion v Lismore game anywhere. Just happened to stumble upon Buff Egans coverage of it, a man not even from anywhere near the county. Not even a final result on the offical Waterford GAA or WLR Facebook pages. Disappointing.

Would usually have a few posters here that would stick up a basic match report but haven’t seen anything in a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Relhcstirt

Any update on Walsh Park. Will it be open at all this year?

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭upthedeise16

Matches were live on Clubber so very accessible to watch which is absolutely brilliant. €99 for about 20 live club games each weekend including all Waterford senior championship games.

All fixtures and teams were put up on the Waterford GAA pages on Twitter and Facebook. 3 of the 4 clubs involved put up each score on their Twitter and the scorers and Tallow updated their team before at half-time and full-time and with Tomás McCarthy away, both these pages had updates up on Twitter regarding scorers etc https://x.com/donaghcummins?s=21 https://x.com/dof__98?s=21 so overall I’d totally disagree, there was plenty of coverage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭seananigans

the problem is, as OP stated ,that you have to go hunting for it, when I played junior rugby the tables were updated everyday there was matches . it was simple and to the point, how can the GAA be so bad at this.

It's a trivial matter to have one county official do some scores and cobble together some match reports ,all in the one place.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,385 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Dungarvan 0-23- Passage 0-18 FT

was 0-11-0-11 at HT, terrible for Passage only to score 0-7pts in the whole 2nd half

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭914

I'd imagine there is a stiff breeze in Dungarvan today and that may have played a part

Waterford SHC Quarter final draw

Fourmilewater v Abbeyside i'd say FMW

Ballygunner v Dungarvan BMG

De La Salle v Clonea leaning towards DLS

Roanmore v Mount Sion MT sion but not by much

Lismore v Passage lismore

Tallow v Dunhill unsure

someone will doubtless correct me but that's what i expect

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Asdfgh2020

Roanmore vs Mount Sion will be firey, hard to call

DLS should have enough for Clonea

Id go for Fourmilewater over Abbeyside. Both teams are so unreliable

Ballygunner should beat Dungarvan handy. Apparently all not good in the Dungarvan club

A Waterford man at the helm for Naomh Eanna who won the Wexford championship today, James Quirke a DLS man. One to look out for in coaching circles

if its the right guy im thinking of he was a great underage player but never made it on the Intercounty scene

Always nice to see a Waterford man winning

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭Jerry Atrick

Totally agreed, wouldn't surprise me if this was a tactic to boost attendances or subscriptions.

A few quick lines in case anyone didn’t attend or watch online for any reason.

Clonea v Tallow

Right from the start I didn’t like the body language from Tallow on the pitch or on the sideline, they looked beaten straight away. Clonea are in the quarter finals on merit, unlike some bigger name teams they don’t have many passengers and still haven’t started Kieran Power yet. The traditionalists would love that they play three inside albiet with James Power slight in front so more a triangle than a line of three. I’d still have De La Salle as favourites to win but I like how Clonea go about their business. Tallow are a better team than Dunhill but on this showing I’d be concerned for them.

Mt Sion v Lismore

I didn’t see Mt Sion against Tallow but this was a major improvement on the game against Fourmilewater. The set up was much better with Austin Gleeson as the centre back/playmaker and he had a huge influence even though Lismore tried to keep the ball away from him. So much so I don’t think he even contested a high ball as everything was kept to the wings. A lot of the usual names for Sion were prominent, Midget, Martin O Neill but Donal Power and Lee Flanagan (apologies if I have that name wrong) inside were good while Jamie Gleeson did a good job on Jack Prendergast. Lismore won’t go down but they should be getting more out of the players they have.

Passage v Dungarvan

I liked how Dungarvan set up. They have a clear purpose in trying to get the ball to the Currans up front and they kept things tight at the back. You can see they have worked on “patterns” and my understanding is that it’s Eoin Cadogan calling the shots. However I’m not sure they have players as good as they were a few years ago. They would need a massive improvement to beat Ballygunner. Passage will be disappointed they didn’t get more from Liam Flynn or Mark Fitzgerald but Dungarvan had their homework done. I thought they might bring Fitzgerald deeper as he’s a brilliant runner with the ball but instead they moved him full forward. I think they should beat Lismore.

Abbeyside v Dunhill

A contender for the worst senior hurling game I’ve ever seen. Unlike Dungarvan, Abbeyside seem to have to make 5 lateral passes before they go forward. Neil Montgomery went off injured after 60 seconds but they still had Kiely, Callaghan and Treen who all played well but too often the ball only went in when Dunhill got men back. The overcoaching was evident in defence too as players didn’t play on instinct which makes them second guess themselves. If they were fully fit they would have a claim on being next best to Ballygunner though the return of Conor Prunty was offset by Montgomery’s injury which didn’t look good and hopefully is not long term. On paper Dunhill would look the weakest team but that’s two years in a row they’ve come within a score of replacing Abbeyside in the last 8.

Finally does anyone know why no ambulance or order of malta personnel attend these games? Two serious injuries today and not as much as a stretcher present.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭upthedeise16

1/4 Final Fixtures

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭siyo

Good synopsis. Thought clonea and mount Sion looked good this weekend but opposition was poor. Overall pretty poor fair so far this championship. Hopefully kicks into another gear now that it's at quarter final stage. Can't see anyone beating ballygunner obviously but would be encouraging if someone could really put it upto them.

12 teams is far too many for the senior championship in waterford. Tallow, Dunhill and Passage are not at or near the standard. In reality a senior championship of 8 teams would be better in my opinion with the next 8-10 teams competing at all county premier intermediate.

Why is there two quarter finals clashing? And a relegation match also clashing with another quarter final? Surely the relegation games could wait a week and slot into the schedule easier? I said at the start that between the format of the championship and the scheduling of games it's like the county board don't want fans attending. Season tickets are pretty pointless when most people can only be in one place at at time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

Interview from a few weeks ago, he's stationed with the Guards in Co. Wicklow so would be relatively close to Gorey where Naomh Eanna are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭914

The last we heard is that it would be open for the knockout stages of the championship which isn't the case, so who knows. An update would be nice as I'm broke up from those wooden seats in Dungarvan!

A lot of Senior clubs in the respective Junior A Semi finals

Eastern Championship

Ballydurn vs Mount Sion

Ballygunner vs Roanmore

Western Championship

Abbeyside vs Fourmilewater

Kilrossanty vs Ardmore

Waterfords representatives in Munster will be either Ballydurn, Kilrossanty or Ardmore as the rest are senior clubs

I don't see how that has any impact as the relegation matches are at semi final stage anyway so they have an extra week.

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭DiscoStew

Am I missing something or do we not have a team in the Tony Forristal this weekend? We look to have 2 teams in the Sonny Walsh, Cork seem to have 3 in Tony Forristal.

It’s a pity the county U15 & minor championships haven’t finished before these tournaments. It will leave some players possibly playing a lot of games over the weekend prior to a county final on Monday or Wednesday. Not an ideal situation for the clubs & players involved.

Even with the spilit season we're still letting underage club fixtures pile up

• Advertisement

That has to be a mistake surely to god, if we can’t even compete at Tony Forristal level anymore we are well and truly up schitts creek

Advertisement