Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ire versus England - RTÉ 2 Saturday Aug 19th 17.30pm

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,685 ✭✭✭Shehal

SA are the ones going into a RWC with a squad with an average age of over 30 years old, if anyone should be resting bodies its them. Looking at the profile of our squad we are the ones who should be going gun ho!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,986 ✭✭✭leakyboots

Or Lowe, neither of them have his acceleration off the mark or footwork (they have other talents before people jump at me).

Earls is our best finisher out wide since Geoghegan

• Subscribers Posts: 41,519 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Never said he was brilliant, but being at the game it was very clear how he was the one calling the moves and orcastrating the plays. That's why I called him the commander.

Ross Byrne will never be appreciated by certain groups of fans because he really doesn't have any "wow" factor, but he's like an old Irish mammy at a family function, making sure that, while in the background, everything is organised and running smoothly.

I'm expecting a pretty detailed breakdown of ross's game play at some stage this week from the likes of Murray kinsella which will open some eyes to what he actually brings to the table.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭kuang1

Couldn't disagree with this more Lawrence.

Win the SA match, and the Scottish game is no longer a must-win game.

I'd much rather 3 must-win games in a row rather than 4.

Go fully loaded against SA, hopefully win. A few bruised bodies for sure, but then you've 2 weeks before you play Scotland where you could continue to rest some players for the QF the week after if necessary.

Lads, we are way better than south Africa right now. Seriously, they don't hold any great fear me other than being the hardest game in the groups stages.

We beat them easily enough last year with a centre partnership of 12 Ringrose 13 JOB for the majority of the game.

They have a power game and kicking game and that's all really, a slightly better version than England.

• Advertisement

And they are way more afraid of us than we are of them, they show twitch all the mind games their coaches are trying to play and the way their fans act on social media compared to the Irish coaches and fans act.

On the Byrne v Crowley thing... It's Crowley shading it for me now. And I'm leaving place kicking totally out of that.

I thought Byrne didn't raise his stock price last night. He mixed the good with bad in open play. His passing was both excellent and sloppy.

His ceiling was hit a long time ago. Crowley's is still unknown, and there's a dog in Crowley that Byrne definitely does not have.

Admittedly this WC might come a tad early for Crowley, but I expect him to shoot past Byrne come the 6ns.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭TheRona

I can't remember that being an easy win in November? I thought if SA had a decent kicker, they would have won.

And if Ireland got all of their kicks they still would have won.

Ah it was easy enough. We were 10 points ahead going into the last 15 minutes with us also missing two kicks at goal (sexton's conversions). SA had a resurgence in the last 15 but they never really looked like they were in a position to win that game. After the arendse try which put 3 points between the team, we pretty much finished the game camped the bokke 22. We had a penalty with 2 minutes to go that we decided to go to the corner with as well.

South Africa missed 3 kicks that day, we missed 2

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭TRC10

I think people are getting a bit overexcited about a win over a god awful England team who had 14 men for the last 28 minutes. I'd hoped for a fair bit more in terms of performance. I wanted to see us really hit the ground running like NZ and SA have recently and do a serious job on that England team. NZ, SA or France would have put (at least) 50 on them. I think it's pretty clear that those teams are miles ahead of us as things stand. Our attack clicked a few times which was nice to see but I feel NZ would have sliced through them at will. I genuinely don't think any of our World Cup opponents will be losing too much sleep over that performance yesterday. We'd want to find some form very quickly if we want to get out of the group.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭TheRona

I believe it would have been a draw. My point is that I wouldn't have called it any easy win. I was there, and at the Aussie match a couple of weeks later. Neither felt easy, but Ireland seem to be in a pretty good place the last few years where they can eke out the tight ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,449 ✭✭✭Wegians89

On the contrary, this was most of the Irish first games this season. Compared to the southern hemisphere teams, they will be rusty. Got a decent win, didn’t shove opposition too much to analysis. Barring Conan and Sheehan, looking good injury wise.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,753 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

France lost to Scotland and struggled against Fiji.

France's 3rd string lost to Scotland's strongest team by a point in Edinburgh.

They also heavily rotated against Fiji who are a good team.

But you see that's the thing, the fact we are being level headed about a comfortable English win compared to SA for instance who are losing the run of themselves after being a Wales b/c team show's just how good a position we are in!

I hope they dont lose sleep, they'll get a massive reality check about their standing in rugby compared to Ireland in afew weeks. After the way SA and Scotland played in the 6N and RC they'd be more concerned about beating each other and finishing 2nd than us if they had any sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭tmc1963

That's ludicrous - getting beaten by Tonga would be a seismic RWC shock - Scotland would be a surprise but a realistic possibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭CMcsporty

That game in November is not a good indicator.

They didn’t have Faf de Klerk, Libbock or le Roux starting.

Ireland were struggling to get anything going until Kolbe Yellow.

Ireland didn’t have Lowe that day. Lowe and Hansen are brilliant playmakers for this side.

Still think Ireland can beat SA even if Pollard plays. I’d be a little less confident with Byrne at 10. Still doesn’t offer a meaningful run threat and can look lost when the plays breakdown or when play is behind the gainline.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,873 ✭✭✭Musicrules

If they were in the same group , would New Zealand losing to Scotland be a realistic possibility? Not a chance and we're better than New Zealand.

Doesn't say much about South Africa's supposed great strength in depth though does it?

Regardless of who Ireland puts out Ireland win and quite often by a decent margin, 8th straight game Ireland won by 13 points or more and Ireland's 12th straight win overall, whereas when SA lose a player and under perform they whinge about injuries. Again who looks in better shape when disaster strikes in the RWC...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,580 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

So the 10 was calling and running the plays? Is that really anything especially remarkable at international level? To the point that you’d call him “Commander in chief”?

I don’t think so tbh.

Ross Byrne will never be appreciated by certain groups of fans because he really doesn't have any "wow" factor

Equally I think there’s a certain group of fans who appreciate exactly what he brings and thinks it isn’t quite good enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,571 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

Of the two 10s that started yesterday, there was one clearly ahead of the other. Not "remarkable" bit as I said he never is. He's just very good at doing what he does.

Appreciating the guy for doing at a high level what he's supposed to do is still allowed no? I've really no idea why you've an issue with me using 'commander in chief' as a relevant descriptor for him, in my eyes it's very apt. George Ford is considered to be a very a good organising out half yet he struggled massively yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭Rugbymad2020

Post like this just prove how clueless some Irish fans are,especially OP over the last few weeks.cannot wait to hear the excuses when u get sent home early from the WC again.if u honestly think yesterdays result was good then u may start watching a different game.that England team are the worst in living memory and u looked average against them.anyone want to take it furth pm me as options aren’t allowed on here.nanny state

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭CMcsporty

No it doesn’t. Not the point.

But it’s rose tinted to say Ireland are way better than SA when their key play makers didn’t play v Ireland.

How would Ireland fair without Keenan, Sexton and Gibson-Park?

didn’t shove opposition too much to analysis.

This is nonsense. Unless Ireland were holding back their real gameplan in NZ and during the last two Six Nations , teams already have more than enough to analyse on Ireland. Now is the time to start performing.

We heard the "we're holding stuff back" excuse 4 years ago. I'm not falling for that again.

I..... Like..... Big..... Boks and I cannot lie.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,753 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

And the excuse for scraping a home win against Scotland?

There is absolutely zero to suggest france would have put 50 on that English side.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,449 ✭✭✭Wegians89

I appreciate what you’re saying here but it’s highly likely that they have been working on new strike plays in the long preseason. An example work be the Keenan try against France.

You would be a naive to use this in the warm up games. I would also hazard a guess that the lineout calling would be basic in these games.

Advertisement