Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTÉ admits paying Tubridy €345,000 more than declared

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,024 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

Yeah I don’t think it was any more complicated than that

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

Kielty was born in Northern Ireland making him Northern Irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Lios67

His arrogance and hubris would lead me to believe either he doesn't have a PR advisor, or he constantly ignores their advice if he does have one. No PR advisor worth their salt would think its a good idea to issue a statement while contract negotiations are still ongoing.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,445 ✭✭✭Tow

It was reported earlier that Ray Gorden is doing PR and he released the statement. However, I don't know if there is a link to back it up.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Advertisement

If I was Ray Gordon I's be distancing myself from Tubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Brian Scan

"powerful, political family"

One cousin a Sinn Fein TD, another a Fianna Fail MEP, an uncle who retired as a FF TD in 2002 and another uncle who retired as a FF MEP in 2004 and died in 2006. They.re hardly the Medicis.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,445 ✭✭✭Tow

I'm not disputing it, Im just saying, if I was Gordon I'd be going "yes, I did offer advice to Mr Tubridy but he opted to ignore my advice. I no longer work with him..."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭stevejr

"They're hardly the Medicis."

No. But they're a well connected family nonetheless. And I'm sure the Medicis would have applauded the behaviour of Tubridy, until he got caught. That sort of greed was right out their playbook.

Unfortunately for this Scion of the Andrews/Tubridy Clan, he only had that Poundshop-Machiavelli Noel Kelly to work with.

What's the reason for being reasonable?

Is that an unreasonable question?

• Advertisement

I guess the only piece missing from this story to complete it, is a Tubridy interview.

The predictable rag to feature that exclusive would be the Sindo- however I don’t think this will happen for a while yet- given the response from RTÉ this week, it would be career suicide to go moaning to a journalist and would definitely shut that door that was “left open” - everyone knows the position - Ryans lawyers doubled down when asked for clarification - there’s nothing more to say -he’d be better off waiting until he secures a new project somewhere else and then doing an up beat interview around that.

Keep calm and carry on or never complain, never explain, whilst difficult advice to take, is most certainly going to stand to him better in the long run- if Tubridy says nothing now, then there’s fck all to write about and the story goes away far quicker. He’s just leaving himself open for further ridicule and criticism if he continues this spat in public-

But does he have the restraint to do this? His record to date hadn’t been good.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,192 ✭✭✭squonk

Yeah look if he’d said nothing up till now he’d be heading out for Sunday lunch and celebratory afternoon drinks today with a newly signed contract at home on the desk. We all know how that ended and if he can’t resist throwing out a statement when there was no need last week, he’s unlikely to have gained any smarts in the meantime.

It’s quite remarkable that a 50 year old seems to have learned so little in life up to now. If he was 18 and a youth presenter I’d have much more sympathy.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,566 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

A great reason not to continue this idea especially in public services that we need to promote people into certain positions.

Look at RTE over the last few years we had to put women into high profile presenter positions. Some are superb like Hurley at rugby and The Sunday Game, sume are brutal like Cantwell. It was the same with the think that CB was entitled to the TLLS.

McInerney is a decent presenter but by no means superb. Miriam I Callaghan earning 240ishK. I intensely dislike the Joe misery slot at 2 pm but recognise that it has huge viewers figures. However many might stay without him.

Forbes was just an appointment for the sake of putting a woman in charge

Slava Ukrainii

People love moaning - live line would survive with an unknown being paid 100k a year doing it

Right I’m off to the shops to decide what Sunday newspaper to buy- let’s see what looks tempting or might have an interesting angle on this story

Contracted wages are easy to solve. It's the pay to staff. Look at the wages that staff like Aine Lawlor, George Lee and I expect other like Hurley and Cantwell are on. How much are the news readers on. What does Nuala Carey get for the lotto and a few weather forecasts.

The TALENT is the tip of the iceberg and that is KB's real problem.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭stevejr

He wanted to have his cake and eat it. He'd gotten his job back. He was home and hosed. But he has a massive ego, as seen during the PAC hearings. It's possible that this and more bad advice, drove him him to it.

I'd say he probably overplayed his hand and didn't understand RTEs motives for bringing him back. And he continued to drink his own Kool-Aid

He was trying desperately to hold onto his public image, which has fed his ego for most of his working life. The Honest Man, Helen Lovejoy shtick that has now become transparent and a public joke.

He couldn't resist the temptation to spin the narrative one last time, give that oul roulette wheel one last little nudge. Sure aren't RTE are bunch of wimps. Turns out the wheel was a gun barrel and he was playing Russian Roulette.

What's the reason for being reasonable?

Is that an unreasonable question?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭Higgins5473

Remember that, “Sean, you know me….” tumbleweed

just had a nauseating thought, Bailey and Tubs would make a very fitting couple. Apologies to those that are eating breakfast or have just finished.

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭BK5

I heard that by Christmas RTE's revenue will be down by a predicted 20 million. While you can sympathise with an ordinary worker there, it looks like the trough is starting to get a lot less full.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭hamburgham

Maybe I’m being generous but I don’t think Ryan or his team could grasp that the 75k was an accrual. Although he hadn’t received it,he was due it for the year and so it should have been reported. Maybe he doesn’t appreciate the difference between actual cash payments and earnings whether already paid or still due.

It does beg the question, do RTE report these earnings on a cash paid basis or do they include all liabilities. I’ve got the impression they have always been reported on a cash paid basis so……was Ryan right? Would the 75k *2 have been reported in full in the year that it was paid? I know from an accounting pov this wouldn’t be correct but RTE should clarify whether these pay figures are calculated on a cash paid or accruals basis.

• Advertisement

I came across something Pee Flynn send to Albert Reynolds after he was sack by Haughy.

'' you will have to eat crow until you sh1t feathers but there is always a way back''

We used to have a saying at work

'' there is a time to lick ass and a time to kick ass and a good man know when it's time to do either''

RT because he was always got everything easy never had to worry about either maxium. His advisors always told him what he want to hear.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭yagan

This is probably the real story. If Ryan was RTE privilege personified then the organisation is going through change that not even dynasticism can repel.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,033 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

Spot on.

I am convinced also that he wouldn't be able to resist airing his thoughts and grievances once he was back on air. The various Dáil committees once they are reconvened would be back in the news, possibly around the time of his proposed return.

Would he be ignoring any news articles about RTE when he did a spiel about what's going on in the world? Or would the researchers have to carefully avoid putting anything like that on the desk?

Bakhurst dodged a bullet in the end when Tubridy went for one more spin of the roulette wheel to feed his ego .

• Administrators Posts: 14,033 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

In a way I feel sorry for Ryan Tubridy. As already mentioned he has spent his life being praised and awarded for little or nothing. NK has to be admired for the amounts he was able to negotiate for his "talent". The fact that he could negotiate over half a million a year for a job RT was willing to do for €170k shows that. It obviously also highlights the culture of outrageous spending in RTÉ - but regardless, NKM asked for it and RTÉ gave it.

RT believed he was worth half a million because he was being told he was worth half a million. And he was given half a million +.

It's very easy to slip into the trap of believing your own press. And at the ripe old age of 50 he's now learning a harsh real-life lesson. I'd say he's completely flummoxed as to what just happened. As posters here have rightly pointed out he has been exposed now as being very immature (even more so than his radio and Toy Show persona) and quite spoiled. The PAC appearance where every even slightly tricky question was met with him looking helplessly at NK proves that.

He has been encouraged along this path his entire life. He's going to have to move into the world of real grown ups now. I don't wish him any ill. I feel sorry for his family around him. His daughters in particular who themselves were probably treated in much the same way he was, and who now might equally be suffering the same fall from grace in their own circles.

It's not the end of the world for anyone. It's a hard lesson learnt on all sides. I do hope he starts surrounding himself with more sensible people though who will actually give him some real advice and proper guidance and make him understand he is not the centre of the universe.

The problem is he never had to learn from his mistakes. He was handed everything on a silver platter.

This all goes back to the negotiations for the wage reduction from 2017-2019 as he had a termination bonus in place 120k he used it as a bargaining chip.

NK and RT played hard ball with it. Joe Duffy had a similar clause but waived it and took the pay cut it seems as may others . Ray D'Arcy took the pay cut

RT taught himself above that and Dee Forbes and the RTE negotiating team blinked. They should have said right we will pay up and you will have to deal with the fall out, which means your contract will not be renewed in 2020.

Instead RTE started doing financial manipulation to hide the fact he too not wage cut only the handing up of the termination bonus.

Again in 2020( possibly because of COVID) RT and NK played hard ball to achieve a contract payment above 500k....along with a stipulation that there could be no requirement for a salary reduction no matter the reason( this in the middle of COVID when nobody knew the possible fallout due to that) into the contract.

Actually I see a similarity between RT and teachers especially the ASTI. Teachers live in the bubble of the staffroom. Looking at parents arriving in Range Rover's and feel jealous even though many of them drive BMW's down the country. After the fall out of the noughties they felt hard done by and never accepted the necessity of cutbacks. RT is similar all he saw was what was happening to his pay not to the fallout the ordinary staff in RTE suffered.

As Gordan Gecko said ''greed is good'' however you have to understand it ramifications

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 60,640 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I'm sure Noel Kelly can get him a £500k a year deal with the BBC now he is a free agent. 😂

However now that everyone knows Tubridy was happy work for €170k a year at RTE will Virgin or Bauer offer him a low ball deal for half that and twice the work he would have done at RTE to get him.

He really does come across as a guy who desperately needs the adoration of the public for his own wellbeing

Sunday business post has nothing to add that we haven’t said ourselves over last few days.

In terms of Ryan’s future, again very little suggestions- the feeling is that Ryan is an expensive cost in an industry with very tight margins -in addition his skills don’t fit into say current affairs for example- again all of that we’ve said here over last few days

Save your money on the papers lads- nothing we haven’t covered ourselves- an NUJ membership badge in the post for ye all 😀

One mention I saw was a rumoured future attempt at the presidency and that might have motivated his end of TLLS?

Anyone else hear that and also what do you think he’s chances are? I’d say Bertie has more of a chance getting the Presidency than he does.

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭toggle toes

Same old faces seem on the bookies list of potential replacements. Apologies if I sound like a broken record but RTE should think outside the box and maybe bring in someone like Anton Savge who is very likeable and can connect with the listeners. I'm sure there is plenty of young talent making waves in the Independent sector who should be given the opportunity to showcase there talent.

• He would have used his slot to regularly air his grievances in a somewhat indirect way, it would have be one a recurring theme to ha e a dig at his employers. Bakhurst knew this full well, and was looking for a valid way out of bringing him back; Ryan gave him clear direct evidence he had an ongoing grudge, a chip on his shoulder he wasn’t going to be quiet about.

“Ryan I’m going to give you your job back, but I’m in the process of making cuts to all talent pay”

“Kevin you can stuff it, this won’t be enough to keep my gob shut I’m Ireland’s most trusted broadcaster, they all love me”.

• Advertisement

Yeah a few of us have said that here too. I wouldn’t mind if the choices were quality but they’re not- like Oliver Callan??? Jayzuz is that the best RTÉ can offer its fee paying audience?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement