Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Today’s movies are just crap, help me delve into some golden oldies.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,759 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Corner Office is a good recent movie. Those who like Office Space should check it out. I am watching Stalker now, the movie that was recommended on the first page

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,636 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

If the “proper order” for Star Wars for you is the original trilogy and nothing else, stop reading now and find the Despecialized Editions.

Otherwise Machete order which is IV, V, II, III, VI

If you've already seen them loads of times, then stick Rogue One on before IV

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭toggle toes

I spent all last weekend watching some of my favorite war movies. Some classics that I haven't seen in many years. Classics such as The Eagle has Landed, The Wild Geese, The Guns of Navorone, Force Ten fom Navorone, The Iron Cross and for fun Escape to Victory with Sly Stallone. If you are in to war movies and in particular classic war movies from the 70's and 80's check out the above mentioned.

Post edited by toggle toes on

• Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Two more comedy series:

1. Third Rock From The Sun
    2. That '70s Show (but the last series and a half was pretty crappy)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

• Registered Users Posts: 4,074 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

What about HRE?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 LunaTuna

Out of Africa - wow, what an amazing picture that's based on a true story. The soundtrack is great and makes you want to go on safari.

Gone with the Wind - I love Scarlett's drive to keep going through whatever it takes while the country goes through war

The Thorn Birds - so many ups and downs and adversity, spanning across decades of a family living in the middle of Australia

I'm going to watch the original Blade Runner tomorrow. 😊

• Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭hawley

Clockwise - Comedy with John Cleese, about a teacher who is travelling to a conference

• Advertisement

Harry Browne with the great Michael Caine. He plays an ex war veteran who lives in an apartment block where anti social behavior is rife . When his best mate who was also a war veteran is murderd by a gang of young thugs Harry decides to extract his revenge on the local thugs who murdered his mate. Another classic performance from Caine.

I watched some of the movies recommended on the first page. Day of the Jackal and Brubaker are good. I just remembered another decent movie from back in 1999 called the The Straight Story.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

Don't know if I mentioned it, but I thought primal fear. I'm not a big fan of Richard gear, but loved it. Book equally as good.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Modulok

Flesh + Blood (starring Rutger Hauer)

Barry Lyndon (directed by Stanley Kubrick)

The Crucible (starring Daniel Day Lewis)

Jean de Florette

The Bounty (starring Anthony Hopkins, Mel Gibson, DD Lewis, Liam Neeson, Bernard Hill)

The Hand that Rocks the Cradle (Julianne Moore)

Cape Fear (Nick Nolte, Robert de Niro)

Fatal Attraction (Michael Douglas)

Post edited by Modulok on

You mean Nick Nolte and Robert De Niro. De Niro was brilliant as Max Cady.

I watched the 1986 brilliant thriller movie The Hitcher with Rudger Hauer and C Thomas Howell. Hauer was a very underrated actor who should have gotten more leading roles in bigger movies.

That reminds me: if you want to channel your inner 12-year-old girly-girl, watch Ladyhawke.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,771 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

Great movie, it's a David Lynch one and his most linear narratives. Stars the late Harry Dean Stanton. It's just a lovely movie and a beautiful mix of touching and hilarious.

Another great movie is Bad Boys with Sean Penn. It was made in 1983 a d is about a young man who ends up in an institution for young offenders. Although Penn is very young he puts in a great performance. Just a heads up there is voilence so if you don't like voilence I would give it a miss.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,073 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24 Real Madra

Here's my tuppence worth. The list includes the (very) old and new and covers lots of different genres😁.

Inherit the Wind

Whatever Happened to Baby Jane

The Birds

Dial M For Murder

The Nightingale

Beasts of No Nation

The Invisible Guest (subtitles)

Shot Caller

The Invitation

Dallas Buyers Club

Warrior

End of Watch

The Mauritanian

The Report

Dark Waters

Whiplash

Snowpiercer

Monster

The Revenant

Moon

Gone Girl

The Killing Fields

Rain Man

The Town

Hunt for the Wilderpeople

The French Connection 1&2

One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest

Misery

Chinatown

Deliverance

Rosemary's Baby

Unforgiven

The Wild Bunch

3:10 to Yuma

I Saw the Devil (subtitles)

The Wailing (subtitles)

Old Boy (Subtitles)

Pan's Labyrinth (subtitles)

Network

Starred Up

The Thing

The Babadook

The Conjuring

The Last Duel

Ford vs Ferrari

That'll keep ye going for a while!

After that list I don't think there are many movies left to post. 🤣 Great list. I will check some of them out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭TinyMuffin

Das Boot.

Ah stop. I can't keep up with all these recommendations:) I am still only on the first page...

It's a pity Richard Farnsworth did not win an Oscar for his role in this film .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,771 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

He was great in it but also can see how Lynch likely originally had Nance to play the role. Lynch making a really good Disney movie is still hilarious in my head. 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭waywill1966

Anyone remember The Hit from 1984 with John Hurt, Tim Roth and Terence Stamp?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,050 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

• Registered Users Posts: 30,085 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Amateur!

You're going to have to watch at least one or I think it'd be a legit thread ban :)

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement

These two are very good. Next up to watch Days of Heaven

Advertisement