Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2023 Mentored Novices Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭MiniMonstera

Guys I'm wrecked this week from the running and other life in general stresses. Would it be OK not to "race" on Sat and just, ya know, give a good tempo effort and hope to beat last year's time marginally? I just don't know if I want to keep pushing myself (this week specifically, I mean). Maybe I'll feel better tomorrow and more focussed on Sat. Just yawning all day and feeling sleepy (even with regular and good sleeping, and good eating and water intake).

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭MisterJinx

Listen to your body. There is zero point in racing and injuring yourself or burning out now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,392 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

You've been doing brilliant training so far. Listen to your body.

I ran in a 10 mile race the week before last - I ran it at tempo pace, good and steady and it was nice to finish and feel strong. Also used it as an occasion to try out my marathon outfit - question mark over the bra after that!

Thank you @Sunny Dayz . I definitely think along with the fatigue I'm having a mental wobble in my ability to do this. Other half gave me a pep talk last night as I was on the verge of tiredness tears, and I think its worked. He says it's meant to be hard, it's meant to be tiring; we're almost half way through a very challenging training block, as novices. And that every time I finish a run on tired legs I'm building mental resilience for the big day. And during the big race I'll be able to look back on these wobbles and be proud I persevered. I think it sunk in. Our kids didn't go to bed until after 11 last night - that includes the 3 year old, so that's contributing too. Longing for the school routine so that we can all go back to normal. I never really understood how hard it would be to train for a marathon during summer. On one hand it's great becuase you've got the good weather and abundant daylight but juggling the commitment to the running is tough when kiddies are off and need all your energy.

So tell me, what bra did you test and why is it getting an initial 👎🏼?

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Crunchy23

- Did you get in all the runs on your plan - if not, then why not? 

Week 6 & 7 update since I have posted in a while. I got 6 runs in wk 6, total of 61.8km and 5 run in wk 7, total of 53.2.

- Did you run the runs at an appropriate pace?  Yes, pace has remained stead for all runs.

I went to Decathlon on the Friday of wk 6 and picked up the belt that was recommeded on here in previous posts. I also got the 250ml flexible water bottles and a couple of raspberry gels. I am going g to be like a Decathlon ambassador for the marathon. I'll be wearing the Decathlon shorts, under shorts and t shirt. I have found all of the gear to be great so far.

I wasn't sure about the thought of using gels but they have went down very well on the last 2 runs and I have found that the feeling hungry after 20km has gone away. The little flexible water bottles are great as well. I'll wear the whole set up to the 10m tomorrow to stress test it. Looks like its going to be a nice miserable morning for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,156 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

If its any consolation, my motivation is also very low this week, I'm finding it much harder than usual to get up and do what i need to do. Definitely in a similar boat of looking forward to a bit more routine in everyones lives! I'm absolutely wrecked today, would love to go back to bed!

I had a bit of a moment last night myself where after work I cooked dinner and while I brought one of the dogs out the toilet the cat snuck in and was chowing into it when I came back in! Just had to be dumped cause who knows where the cat has been! I was just so pissed off that I wasted time on making cat food that I had to just remove myself from the situation for a bit, definitely being tired was the main cause of this.

At least on my plan anyways, it doesn't really get too much harder than what it currently is. I did 63K last week, the max it reaches is 70K, so an extra 7k, spread across the week isn't that much I guess. Assuming its somewhat similar for all plans , we are in the throws of it now!

A youtuber I watch sometimes had this saying I liked:

I do what other won't today so I can do what others can't tomorrow

It's not normal for most people to do what we are doing in terms of training (just a reminder that the posters on here are not most people!) but we are doing it so we can do what most people will never do in their lives. When I think about the training in this way i find it helps.

I like the stuff from Decathlon for the most part, but I hate shopping there!

They don't carry a lot of what they have on their website and even when they do, sometimes they don't seem to have all the sizes. You can check stock on the website, so you can save yourself the trip I suppose, but don't just rock up expecting to get everything you want!

I called in on Monday with the plan of getting:

• A singlet - They only had one option (in the running section at least), with a very open back which isn't really for me
    • A cheap run jacket - they have one on their website, but its not in store. their next step up is a bit more expensive, but not bright coloured so not a runner for me
    • Shorts - I did get something I was pretty happy with. They have a pouch for the flexi water bottle, and I like it.
    • Anti Chaff gel - they didn't have it

I also dislike how nothing is individually priced, so your not actually fully sure what the price is of the thing in your hand without doing some investigation.

This maybe unique to my situation when I shop there, but its not a fun place to bring young kids with so much stuff they can grab and mess with! We are usually visiting there as part of a larger trip to Dublin so they tend to be a bit tired by the time we get there!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,392 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Oh my God yes - a mental wobble!! I'm having that this week! I'm running the marathon with a friend of mine and we've been doing most of our training runs together and in a group since the official marathon block started. She's done 2 marathons already but has said she didn't feel she trained properly for them and wants to put in a good training block for this one. She said last weekend she's hoping for around 4:30 and I'm just worrying now inside about am I going to hold her back, not be able to keep up. She's gotten into her stride now with the training whereas I'm a bit tired and I'm finding it tougher now since the long runs are over half marathon distance.

I'm a bit apprehensive of the training block once the summer is over. My son will be starting college and moving away so the beginning of Sept will be a bit up in the air with him moving and getting settled, and then me spending the rest of Sept worrying about him! Then my work will be getting busy from Sept onwards with tax deadlines. Throw in the mornings and evenings getting darker and not as appealing to go out running in!!

The running bra I wore is this one: https://fitpinkfitness.com/products/fitpink-high-impact-front-zip-bra

It is comfy and feels fine for running in - but I noticed after the 10 mile race that it had chaffed bit at the front bottom of where the zip is so I wonder did I maybe not fold over the cover correctly. It didn't feel sore or anything. Will try it out again on this weekend's long run. I'm hoping that will be my marathon bra as it'll be easy to change out of after!! It's a workout in itself getting out of some sports bras!! 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 31,085 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Felt rough on the easy 3k this morning then noticed neck glands are up and a bit sore to the touch on one side. Hoping that'll clear for the Frank Duffy tomorrow, but maybe I'll drop the pace and just enjoy the day out. I blame a packed flight on Wednesday, should have worn a mask but you get some funny looks these days!

Weather forecast looks dry now, just a bit windy.

Saturday morning edit: I'm proper sick today so noping out. I even bought a new singlet yesterday and the sun is out! Cursed.

Post edited by Lumen on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

For what it's worth, I think all runners marathon training have a wobble at some stage, those internal voices asking you if you have lost the plot trying to do this are very evident! All the advice that was given to @MiniMonstera is so true, especially as a novice trying to get all the training done & think about so many different new things. If I read back over my log for my 1st marathon I know there are quite a few wobbles in it and every marathon after that too there was a wobble. It's human nature to question ourselves but try not let the bad days consume you, listen to your body, let those kind of days come & go & then get back into it as strong as ever. You are doing things other people only think about but never actually get to do them for whatever reason. Recently I found myself looking at each run individually & feeling good or meh about it but when I actually looked at it all together I was very impressed with myself (doesn't happen offten🤣) It's very hard with working, family, outside activities, stress, emotions etc then throw in all our training, feel very proud of it! I would say if possible to try not think way too far ahead, this will defo lead to anxiety & completely feeling over whelmed, take each few days or a week at most & decide when & how you can fit the runs in, somehow we just all manage to do it😊

Hope this helps!

• Registered Users Posts: 24 MECA

Any one else get long run jitters? Last 2 weeks I haven’t slept a flippin wink the night before them for the fear of having to cut them short. I’ve made my way round them both thankfully… just be a lot easier with a good nights sleep. 🙄

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29 Tribal Wardfare

As the long runs have increased lately, the last thing I do before bed the night before, is to make sure everything is laid out and ready for the morning (clothes/ water bottle/ gels / .... although last week I forgot to check I had something in the cupboard for breakfast!) . It is the only thing I can control and it has helped me know that I am as prepared as I can be. It is the last thing I do before going to bed, rather than doing earlier in the night. It has helped me relax and hope it helps you. I only do it before the long runs and not the other days. We have done the training up until now and we have to trust it. Maybe you already do this but then I am sure someone else might have a good tip for you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭nullObjects

Good advice there, leave yourself as little to get stressed about the morning of the run as you can. I normally check the weather the day before too so I know roughly when to start getting ready. I stick on some music then to put me in a good mood for running.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 MECA

Thanks all. Latest problem: anyone got magic fixes for ITB pain at the knee. Came on at the long run. Have been religiously doing core work and leg raises/clams and foam rolling yet here we are … sorry .. don’t want to make it into a therapy thread but I’m demented now about this 😢.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,085 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Other than the obvious suggestion of seeing a good physio, I think you have to just try loads of stuff and see what works for you.

edit: removed suggestions which probably violate the forum charter

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭marathon2022

I'm not a medical professional(internet doctor) but I would say try changing running surface and trainers. I also read many moons ago when I had a similar problem that changing the direction of the run might help, for example if your running routes that are typically left turning then run them clockwise. If I remember correctly I stopped running for a little while and it went away.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Louis 2018

Have struggled with this previously. I would go to a physio at this point, I was given some basic exercises to do by my physio and they worked a treat. Resistance bands and foam rollers are your best friends. Exercises I was looking at online were not suitable according to the physio so best to get professional advice as the injury is different for everyone and a tailored rehab programme would be best. What works for me may not work for you etc. Good luck with it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

I used get this a lot in my right leg. I now know as I’m going through rehab for another injury that I have no strength in my right hamstring causing my knee to fall in slightly and of course pulling on the ITB and the pain is in the outside of the knee. I’d say a good physio will help for a start as mine would work on the muscles and get me through races etc but also strength work to strengthen, glutes, hamstrings, calves etc. Logs of single leg work and hip bridges etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭Seifer

Hope everyone had a good day out!

I had no idea what pace to target so went for a short pace check run yesterday (was also checking if the cough flared up but thankfully seems to just be in my throat and not lungs) and settled on 4:50 min/km.

Looking at the elevation profile I knew it was downhill for the first few kilometres so made a conscious decision not to put the brakes on early. And everything pretty much went to plan; 1:17:32 chip time for an average pace of 4:47 min/km.

Thought I might have something more in the last few kilometres but tank was pretty much empty so I guess pacing was on point.

Given the couple of weeks of injury and recent cold/cough I'm happy with the result and effort.

Hoping for a solid few weeks of getting to execute the full plan now!

@Sunny Dayz hopefully the bra will work out for you after a few wears. I've found Sweaty Betty high impact to be very good. They are not bulky (in fact very thin, which doesn't suit everybody) or heavy but are very good at the job. Not cheap either, but they often have them on sale.

Wow you'll definitely have lots of change going on next month. Your son moving aeay to start college is such a life changing thing.

@witnessmenow thanks, it IS a consolation as I think I'm going mad sometimes and think running's not for me.

That's is brutal what happened to your dinner, after putting the effort in, I'd be chasing the cat around the house! 😄

I agree regarding Decathlon, awful place to shop. And definitely don't bring kids - unless you like being hit in the head with a basketball every 4 seconds. 😆

@Crunchy23 I hope you got on well being the Decathlon ambassador yesterday. How did the gear measure up, racewise? I wore my 7 pocket decathlon shorts and they were great, if a little warm at times, so they might be ideal for end October weather. The writing on the side has already peeled off though after 3 wears so I'm questioning whether they'll stand the test of time.

@Lumen sorry you didn't make it to the race, but you did the right thing, wishing you a speedy recovery!

@MECA I don't get long run jitters (not yet anyway) but this week has been hell for me and looking back now I can safely say it was largely build up to race day jitters. I'll update more in my weekly post later. Also, I too had ITB pain, in my right leg, and there were exercises I found on you tube to be very good. Standing up ones where you're beside a wall (dodgy leg to wall), hip tilted, and other leg movements. The wall is support. Sorry, terrible description but have a Google, worked for me anyway. Did them about 3 times per day for a week or so.

@Laineyfrecks thanks for the positive reinforcement, much needed 🙏🏽🙏🏽🙏🏽

@Seifer sounds like a very successful race. Did the two halves of your race even out? Mine pretty much did and I had nothing left in the tank either.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭Seifer

@MiniMonstera Yep, 38:42 out and 38:50 back in for an 8 second positive split; doesn't get much more even than that 😅

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

5 runs this week for a total of 24.6 miles (40Km). I was based out in Wicklow so had a change of scenery for the midweek runs. Got eaten alive by critters along a section of the Wicklow Way and my attempt at strides was interrupted by a dog blocking the road and growling at me, clearly unimpressed with having a runner in his territory 😂.

I took Thursday and Friday off as a mini-taper ahead of the Frank Duffy 10. I was kind of dreading the race, given the wind and the heat but it ended up being ok. I stayed behind the 90 min balloon for most of it, breaking away in the last mile or so for a chip time of 1:29:14. That's about 15 min per mile faster than MP. It wasn't easy but it was manageable for the most part and the 2nd half was faster than the first. Such a great help to be following the pacers (thank you @Murph_D) as you just have to focus on putting one foot in front of the other. i'm still undecided about MP, can't help but think it's unlikely I'll go for 4 hours, 4:15/4:20 might be achieveable but I'll make the call after the half.

Just in from a short recovery shuffle now and the body feels tired but no niggles so that's good.

Well done to everyone who did the FD10. Can't believe we're almost half way through the training 😯

• Registered Users Posts: 7,156 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

Planned:

6.5k|11.5k|6.5k|Rest|11.5k|24k|cross

Actual:

7k|12k|7k|Rest|12k|25.4k|55 min walk

~64k for the week, Most K I've ran in a week. New longest distance again.

As alluded to in other posts, I found this week really hard. I just wasn't able to rest and recover like I needed to and it definitely caught up with me. I've spent most of the weekend resting, which I definitely needed.

Saying that, I got it done and I have less planned for the next few weeks so I should be able to focus a bit more on what I need to do.

It's a reduced week next week with only 4 days scheduled, but with a HM race for Saturday. I'm just doing it as a training run but at race pace.

Assuming I'm feeling right, I think I'll aim for a 6:00 min pace but without having much of a taper I'm not going to beat myself up if that doesn't pan out

Took some time this morning to calculate how many gels and hydration tablets I'd need between now and the marathon, it's a lot! I take a gel every 45 mins or so (only on long runs), seems to be working ok for me, but it does seem more than others.

Great to see some positive results coming out of the 10miler! Well done everyone!

He is very correct, everyone will be starting to feel it at this stage. Doing a marathon training block in itself is a major feat of endurance and the to top it off with a marathon! It's just not normal and it is why so few people actually do it at all.

I'm very much looking forward to the structure of the kids going back to school. With the very poor summer we've had it is quite difficult to keep them amused and not feel like a bad parent while also trying to carve out the time to work and train and everything else in between!

You had a great day yesterday at the FD 10 mile so very well done. Just keep it going and everything will be great on the day.

Post edited by MisterJinx on

Brilliant, delighted for you. Looking at your strava there it's clear you ran a really steady race, well controlled and you did have a little in the tank at the end. Well done especially considering the last few weeks you have had.

Well done. The pacers can be great and I'm sure Murph_D did an excellent job in getting you across the line. As you say, don't worry about MP now, we can start to think about those things after the half which is a really good measure. Great also that you have kept the niggles at bay and everything is feeling good at half way.

• Registered Users Posts: 987 ✭✭✭Pinoy adventure

tried 10miles today but smashed as the feeling of a chest infection coming on.

nothing for a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭Legits

Was attempting a Tempo 10 Mile long run Today and at the 12k mark I got a shooting pain in my right calf it passed straight away but came back again at the end of the run.

I slowed right down but didnt stop as I felt no ongoing pain or sore spots not sure whats going on with it can do calf raises pain free but it is worrying me. Ive meen rubbing magnesium oil on it the rest of the day so it does feel a little off now or it could all be in my mind.

7 runs this week for 52km all easy bar a 10k on Thursday at PMP and the 10 mile Tempo today which finished very easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Ged139

Been a bit of a disaster for me for the last 2 weeks done carlingford 5k 2 weeks ago and got a New PB of 25.34 but Also got pain in my Achilles in the last k so had to slow up. Missed my long run that week and did nothing apart from a bit of swimming while waiting for a physio appointment. Eventually got one earlier this week and found out it was tightness in my glute and hamstring which lead to my calf and Achilles tightening up. Got it all worked out my physics magic hands and dry needling. So got the ok to go back running done 5k at easy pace on Wednesday and 10k at marathon pace on Thursday. Advised not to attempt long run this weekend. Just going to concentrate this week on slowly building up the k's and hopefully getting at least 20-22k in at the weekend. And hopefully that's the last injury I get between now an DCM.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Ged139

As I found out from my physio calf pain and Achilles pain are all linked back to our glutes and hamstrings getting right so you may need to get physio in that area also not drinking enough water and electrolytes can cause this type of pain as your muscles may be dehydrated.ive also been advised to do 40 squats a day to help keep everything loose.hope this info helps you out

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,385 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Running on the beach has been very helpful for me for achilles issues if that is available to you or grass even would be good. Concrete kills my tendons.

Advertisement