Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTÉ admits paying Tubridy €345,000 more than declared

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,763 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

There won't be any hard lessons learnt by Ryan and Noel. Their egos won't allow them to admit they brought this all on themselves. They will believe Kevin wanted to get rid of Ryan all along rather than admit it was their self- serving statement that did him in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭cute geoge

The o.h. thinks Anton Savage is great but he grates on me, surely someone within rte is better,Brendan o connor??

Outside the box would Niall boylan be worth a gamble

• Not sure if he thinks things through this much tbh. It’s possible though that NK prompted him, as his agency is under the bus atm.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,024 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

I posted above about a potential future presidential election nomination- do you think that all of these ridiculous statements RT made at the enquiry about Queen of children’s hearts or whatever the rubbish was, that it wasn’t his RTE audience per se he was directing this towards, but a potential presidential voting audience?

It makes a lot more sense when you put it into that context- whilst he was rightfully accused in my view, of trying to court the public opinion to put pressure on RTE to take him back, some of his comments were just so over the top, the only context they make any sense, is a presidential bid- in fact now that I think of it, all those misery slots we’ve been forced to watch (I eventually turned them off) on TLLS was a long term plan to build his brand for a presidential challenge.

Mad and all as the above may sound, I think it would be hard enough for someone to disprove that.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Paul on

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭toggle toes

Nothing against Oliver Calln personally but it's the same old same old regarding promoting certain people like Mr. Calln hoping they will do the business regarding keeping the listening public and most importantly the sponsors.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,033 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

I have heard that idea mooted previously and I think it was mentioned on the thread here too.

I actually thought at first that was possibly why he stepped away from presenting the LLS. We didn't know then what we know now, obviously.

I would say he would have been easily tempted to put his name in for it. He was very fond of interviewing the present incumbent also. I believe there was an interview with him in Áras an Uachtaráin on the last LLS.

I suppose if Bertie Ahern fancies his chances, so can Tubridy! 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 18,566 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Bertie's only chance of winning is if RT was the only other candidate.

Another chancer that thinks he was hard done by

Slava Ukrainii

• He and Duffy in a head-to-head battle for the Áras, can’t wait! 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭stevejr

Tubridy's exceptional treatment does pose an interesting question.

What was nature of the relationship that Noel Kelly had with Dee Forbes?

It was very unusual at the PAC, that Kelly was keen to understate the extent of his relationship with Forbes. If you were to believe him, they barely knew each other. Half strangers according to him. Why though? And why did Kelly later during PAC refuse point blank to answer the straight question of how many of his clients in total were on RTEs books? Turns out Kelly derives so much of his business from RTE that he couldn't have had any but a close relationship with Forbes.

Either way there was some strange dynamic at play between Forbes and Kelly. Bryan Stanley, during the PAC alluded to this. He questioned this strange state of affairs with his now infamous Chocolate Sales Man line of questioning of Kelly. But the line of questioning was pertinent.

How did a former Cadbury's Rep apparently bully a DG of RTE into such a mess? Notwithstanding Kelly's client-base, he should have been in no position to get these deals for his client. Were Forbes and RTE so weak and complacent that they sleepwalked into this mess?

Strange carry-on altogether.

Post edited by stevejr on

What's the reason for being reasonable?

Is that an unreasonable question?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭Higgins5473

Niall Boylan would be considered “far roysh” by the RTÉ mgmt/govt mandate the presenters are under. Probably also by the majority of tubs radio show listeners.

• Advertisement

Since the Mary Robinson success, the presidential elections have been littered by “shoe-ins” and “popular” candidates that have ultimately done atrociously at the polling booth - I think the Irish electorate when it comes to the presidential election aren't easily hoodwinked and have a very clear idea of the sort of person they want to represent them- just one wrong word or a story can see a popular candidate fall from Grace quicker than…..RT🤪

- I consider Higgins lucky because he was up against the most random collection of completely unsuitable people possible to hold presidential office that all he had to do was stay alive to win it 😀

It sounds like back in the day, he was in the right place at the right time- no one else was doing what he was doing or doing it quite so well, and it became not just a monopoly of sorts but maybe the accepted way to do business- it suited RTÉ because they could just establish a relationship with one company and no one would rock the boat- an easy life for all.

Looking back at it now, it’s a horrendous lack of procurement compliance and governance - again another good reason not to employ RT right now and to clean up how all these decisions are made.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,483 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Time for change folks….. time to wipe out the 0900-1000 slot into distant memory.

Lookit …. every bank holiday marty Morrissey in for two hours at 0900

Collins was then in for two hours

News for 30 mins then music for another two hours …..I could go on.

Change the fohhking record…. Something different please ….

Ronan Collins was the only decent show in that line up.

Would nt agree there Ozzie, had a good innings , became ‘music by numbers’ and repetitive.

I respect your opinion though.

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭z80CPU
    Darth Randomer

Previously in this thread I've thanked posters who expressed a modicum of sympathy for Ryan Tubridy.

Here's my own 2 cents of a suggested atonement, which I know already that such eminent individuals like Ryan and Noel shall dismiss as being beneath their dignity (neither could proceed with such indignation)

Recently, on YouTube, a supposed pro consumer YouTube tech channel was called out: Linus Tech Tips.

After a staunch protracted and prolonged denial by LTT, the upshot is that the now CEO, other staff members as well as Linus himself published an apology video:

My Precsription is this

A Video is Put out , maybe on RTE Player ??

Noel Kelly in place of the current LTT CEO

Ryan Tubridy in place of Linus

But nah, that'll never happen. We're just the little people

• Registered Users Posts: 2,834 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

"He and Duffy in a head-to-head battle for the Áras, can’t wait!"

Dragons last time, snakes next time.

He was leaking to the media fur a start , Kevin wasn’t happy about that anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 2,362 ✭✭✭Acosta

President no, but if he's still after a good pay day, he'd have a good chance at being elected as a TD. His sanctimonious, faux be kind schtick will appeal to many a gobshite. Plus, he also has the family connections for a run in politics.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭stevejr

Gas that Ahern or Tubridy would ever consider themselves electable as President. Or that anyone would vote for them.

We've been very lucky in our presidents on the whole. I know the Aras is a bit of a retirement home and largely symbolic but it's an Office that could be abused by an unsuitable person. Luckily we haven't elected any eejits, ever. They have all had the best interests of the Office, and in the main, the people at heart.

At least Ahern has 'done the state some service', but still the former Finance Minister without a Bank Account would be scorned by many of the electorate, his shenanigans now somewhat overshadowing his achievements.

Any mentions of Tubridy for President would be disrespectful of the Office itself.

What's the reason for being reasonable?

Is that an unreasonable question?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Perhaps but he won't find public adoration on Virgin or Newstalk.

'Is there no way back' seems to be his one & only ploy. If RTE/Bakhurst have any sense at all, they'll keep the door politely but firmly shut.

I genuinely think nk was pulling the strings lately and was trying to use tubs by proxy to vindicate himself if any wrongdoing

Ah I miss him- early morning radio back in the early 80s for me growing up was Ronan Collins Fr Brian Darcys 7.15am slot and sometimes the occasional but incredibly funny Eugene Lambert with his puppet being rude😀- ah good innocent times .

Entitled to that view Ozzie, innocent times indeed.

Yeah but look at some of the numpties that have achieved council nominations in the past and have got onto the ballot; NONE of them were worthy of the office - I guess that’s why voting in such elections is so important to prevent such eigits from getting past the post- the political parties must also share collective responsibility in putting forward appropriate candidates reducing the chances of it becoming some sort of Im a celebrity voting thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,831 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

I found it strange, with all the talk about money problems for RTE, that they have announced that Kathryn Thomas is to team up Daithí Ó Sé to host this year’s Rose of Tralee. Are there profits in the festival that pay for this, or do they now pay Kathryn Thomas the same amount as Daithí Ó Sé was on - doubling their costs? Sorta off topic, but not at the same time...

he has some fairly obvious traits they would not benefit him in politics, mainly around knowing when not to say anything

So I’ll take a few guesses here, the main one being, having a man- yes a man- as the sole presenter of a show devoted to women- yes women- just isn’t the done thing these days, so RTÉ “must be seen” to being “INCLUSIVE” 😀

As for the money end of things, it’s possible such gigs are already in their contracts but either way, given public opinion the way it is these days, the day of men hosting lovely girls contests on their own is well and truely finished.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,033 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

Yes, I think I asked the same question earlier in the thread.

It seemed like shockingly bad timing to announce it, if it does mean they have to pay more. I wouldn't watch the programme for 170k 😉 but from what I read of it, over the years, Daithi didn't seem to need anyone else on board with him.

Would it be that they are making up hours of work for her, iykwim? That she is already paid for under her contract? I don't know tbh.

• Advertisement

• Ryan has a very firm following by a certain unquestioning cohort of society who believe entirely that he is 100% motivated by #kindness. Mostly women in my own age group, some young women too, and men of course, but all minded to think their hero really can’t do any wrong. It’s a cult worship phenomenon, not one I get myself as my mind can be changed about any figure or person given new evidence, and indeed sometimes I like people even though they might be terrible in a very human or rascallish way, but it’s not because I believe they are perfect or beyond my own criticism. Some people negate all potential negative emotions about a chosen hero; they are the cohort of see nothing wrong whatsoever with Ryan’s dealings.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement