Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Solar for Beginners [ask your questions here]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Mosszilla

Hi all, the newest newbie here.

I've been chatting to one particular installer about doing a home upgrade where I would get solar panels and a heat pump. I noticed on Reddit that this particular installer apparently over quotes and was advised to come to this thread.

I'm wondering has anyone recently got solar panels, a battery and a heat pump installed by a installer they would recommend that won't rip them off or take advantage of my newbie knowledge when it comes to all this. Could they PM me.

Although this thread has helped massively to improve my knowledge, so thanks all for adding to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭Panrich

Is there a thread dedicated to replacement costs and timelines? I know that batteries will need to be replaced at about 10 years but I also see string inverters might only have warranties for 5 years.

My plan for solar is to install now while working and then have the benefit of reduced billing when retired. I need to factor in replacement costs that may be due to hit just when I can least afford so I’d be grateful for any advice on what to factor in.

I know that any part of a system might need replacing but I want to account for the definites. I will have battery inverter and eddi.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭con747

Batteries are usually warrantied to about 10 years but still should have about 80% capacity so will stay working a lot longer with a reduced capacity. Inverters are warrantied anything from 5 years upwards but if you want you can extend the warranty with some but is it worth it. An inverter could last 10 15 years without issues or develop issues in year 1 or 2 like any electronics. Panels should outlive you.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,646 ✭✭✭micks_address

Power out from storm Betty, EPs circuit powering internet,TV, small kettle, toaster and Nespresso coffee machine.. nice to be able to use the battery. Esb saying 4pm for power restoration.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,116 ✭✭✭John mac

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,027 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

Yeah it isn't an essential like the TV 😂

Wondering why my solar isn't charging the battery?

Likely the fireman switch. Needs power to operate.

They can be taken out safely? By an electrician obviously

• Registered Users Posts: 5,116 ✭✭✭John mac

you would need a change over switch , (isolates you from the grid) the eps function can then run the whole house and give power to the firemans switch . and thus use solar and charge the battery ..

• Advertisement

When I got my change over switch put in I got the fireman switches removed so the panels can power the house and charge the batteries. They are only a requirement in the Republic.

So when you say removed you basically saying take out the switch and join the circuit so it's always on? There are DC isolaters there as well so I guess they can cut the panels when required

No idea how they done it but the panels work in outages now. It's only a requirement for the grant really, once a chance of inspection passed I got them removed. The north and UK don't use them just us here.

If anyone else could comment I have my electrician back tomorrow to look at something else so could ask him to remove it

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,938 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

From posts previously….it’s just a grant requirement not a legal requirement

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

So I can ask him to essentially bypass the fireman switch. It will have live power coming from the panels? In the even if power outage what stops power from panels going back to grid?

Its the inverter that controls the anti islanding, not the panels.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭poker--addict

Delighted to find this. Very interesting. Is there a downside here to panels fueling house in power cut? For example, if the the panels are producing a low to medium amount of KW, say .8kw, and not far above the base load, there is risk of power required frequently dipping above and below the solar output, would this damage electrical systems/appliances if they would be constantly on and off/struggling.

Changeover switch and fireman removal an easy retrofit?

😎

• Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭bullit_dodger

So disabling the fireman's switch is an interesting thing. As previous posters noted a firemans switch isn't needed in the north or the UK. That said, even though it's not needed, in my own personal opinion it does perform a useful function.....in certain scenarios. I'm not proposing that you don't disable it, but rather just want to let you know the potential pitfalls of doing so.

If your inverter is close to where the ingress of the solar array's + and - cables into your house (which are often carrying 500+v DC).....say the inverters is in the attic etc.... then I think the fireman's switch is of little benefit. The regs I think state that the firemans switch has to be within 1.5m of where the cables enter the house. The issue is more if there's a long run of those cables from the ingress to where the inverter is. Let's say your inverter is in the utility room on the ground floor and the cables enter the house at the roof. Then you could potentially have 15-20 meters run of those high voltage cables.

The issue is then one of if there was a fire, those cables could still be "live" if the fire brigade cut the power to the house. Is this a big issue? I'd probably argue no, but at least your aware of it.

You can keep the fireman switch though, as long as you can power it from your backup power supply, Best of both worlds.

Usually the fireman switch it driven off the same supply as the inverter.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭UnhappyCustomer

I have a tricky situation with my solar system setup (apologies if this is not the right place).

I have a very catholic cross roof:

The red part is the south-west front and the green part is the north-west back

During the summer: Red gets sun most of the time, but is shaded by the big tree on the left in the evening, and Green gets no sun until about 11 AM, some shade in the evening, and then some sun again once it passes the tree.

During the winter: green wouldn't get any sun and red would get something from midday onwards

To illustrate:

This is green at the end of April at 12 pm

Red at the end of April at 8pm

The setup suggested is to put 15 panels in the red roof.

But knowing the above:

is it worth the sun/power the green gets to put panels there with optimisers for the winter?

is it worth trimming the big tree? (€2/3k)

is it worth to put strings in red and microinverters in green?

I'm thinking of investment-return because the green part would get good sun during the summer but nothing during the winter, which would make it up during the summer but could drag down the performance during the winter.

What do ye think?

Maybe look into paralleling some of the panels if it's of any use to your set up. @championc might be able to advise about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭slayer91

Hi,

I have just built a self install ground mounted solar project. 10 x405w Longi panels wired in series into a SOLIS S5 3.5KW Inverter.

All wired and ready to energised.

Are they any settings on the inverter I need to adjust or alter during the power up? No batteries (for the moment)

Regards and Thanks

Can I ask why you didn't opt for the 5 kW inverter so you could expand in the future and stop clipping in summer?

Possibly set the grid settings, but that's about it. Also if you are using a DC isolator double check the wiring diagram of it.

Eg there's one that the top left is connected to bottom right. Top right is bottom left, and the middle 2 are flipped.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭slayer91

@con747 Mainly I had the 3,5kw already........ take your point and will probably upgrade at some stage to a hybrid inverter and battery.

@graememk The grid settings seemed to overvoltage and frequency settings. Are the factory settings good enough to initial power up?

Regards & Thanks

It's fine to power up, it likely just won't output anything until you select a grid standard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭UnhappyCustomer

Thanks for the suggestion. What are the advantages of parallel over optimisers?

Advertisement