Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2023 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭compsys

A nice, if breezy, day in SCD.

Sunny with temps of around 21º.

This is about the 10th day that temps have crept above 20º so far this August in the greater Dublin area. And tomorrow and Tuesday are almost guaranteed to do the same. Perhaps Wednesday too.

You can't ask for much more in Ireland from a temp. point of view at least.

Indeed all stations look set to finish August with temps above average.

Some stations could be well above average.

No doubt we'll have the same people telling us it was a freezing month though...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,585 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Hadn't realised how much above average stations have been. Hasn't felt it. The NW is currently warmer than last August too. I have to wonder how much of this is down to mild nights rather than warm days, not that the days have been cool.

Casement's mean max is +0.2C above average whilst mean min is +0.7C above average currently.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

It certainly doesn't feel above average most days but the above average temperatures probably mainly due to the fairly mild nights rather than the daytime temperatures considering there hasn't been any properly warm weather this month and the first week of August was absolutely awful. August while not great is certainly nowhere nearly as bad as July or many of the Augusts over the past 20 years. At least we have had a few nice days this August, certainly more than we had in July.

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭boetstark

Guys can I ask where these warm sea temperatures are. Attempted to swim in West Cork 2 weeks ago , freezing. Went to salthill yesterday visiting a friend , water was baltic. I checked online. Most of the waters off our coast are registering between 15.5 and 16.2 degrees. That to me is not warm.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,585 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

"Warm" is relative to average, not the fact the sea temps are actually warm.

West Cork's sea temps were actually recently below average.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭compsys

Summer temps in Ireland are so cool/moderate to begin with that any deviation (unless it's big) is probably going to go unnoticed by a lot of people.

If it's 21 or 22º each day instead of 19 or 20º, I guess a lot of people won't notice. But you can still end up with quite warm months overall without a heatwave.

But it hasn't felt cool/cold to me at all this August as it usually would in a month with so much rain. I think we can be thankful for that.

And whilst I would prefer if we were seeing above average day temps instead of night temps, at least it means no one is talking about having had to put the heating on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭Hippodrome Song Owl

It's a pleasant day in Dublin, mild and some sunshine. It would be really lovely if it wasn't for the wind. Too cool for sitting out with bare arms for me and still struggling to tidy up the leaves and small branches from the storm.

I hate the heat and have been very happy with August's temperatures. There has been no really warm weather, and if it's above average, then mild nights are playing a role, and the constant breeze/wind has had a cooling effect.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭mcburns07

Stating the obvious here but summer really is over isn’t it, autumn is well and truly on the way. One thing I’ve noticed apart from all the rain is, we’ve had pretty much no days where sitting out the back garden for a few hours sunbathing has been possible since May. We really were spoilt the last couple of summers with those hot spells.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,037 ✭✭✭OldRio

• Registered Users Posts: 48,212 ✭✭✭✭km79

The constant wind is a killer

sick of it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭.Donegal.

A couple of fast moving showers today, some sunshine at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,460 ✭✭✭✭fits

It certainly does feel warmer than usual here in Carlow. Even on the cloudy days.

was thinking of a fire for storm Betty on Friday for the coziness but our house thermostat said it was 23C - definitely not needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭almostthere12

Yeah that's what does my head in as well. Temps have actually been decent enough in Cork anyway with a lot days 20C or a bit above.

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭mykrodot

dont know where you are mcburns07 but in South Kerry I was sitting outside last Wednesday in blazing sun getting burnt (Finians Bay), likewise I was sitting outside the house yesterday for an hour reading, it was warm and hazy. Today here it has been wild and windy but hardly any rain, lots of sunshine and very rough seas for my daily dip (impossible to actually swim). Lovely hiking weather but I agree its not far off Autumn and in the main street in Sneem there were brown leaves blowing around!

Some trees really starting to look Autumnal here, after losing most of their leaves over the past couple of windy weeks!

I certainly didn't expect to be spending as much time gathering leaves off the lawn in August as I am.

Wind has calmed a bit this evening and sun is still out, so it's not a bad evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭mcburns07

In Cork, yeah it's possible there were some days during the working week that I missed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,900 ✭✭✭appledrop

Today was very warm in Dublin in sun, we were out from earlier morning and had to top up the suncream a number of times or we would have been burned.

Definitely a big improvement in Dublin anyway to weather in August compared to July.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,089 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

No huge rainfall totals expected this week. Big regional differences all the same.

In the week ahead, most of the country will be drier than average with accumulations of less than half the normal generally. The west and northwest will be wetter than average, with accumulations of up to 2 times the normal there.

2pm Thursday

Overcast day yesterday. Cloudy start today. 14C. Leitrim.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,175 ✭✭✭pad199207

A fine morning out there

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭bazlers

I was sort of thinking September might be the month that could salvage this summer to some degree. Reading the last paragraph of MTs forcast this morning it could be more of the same cone mid month. Long way down the tracks though...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭highdef

Between partly and mostly cloudy in Trim, Meath. Very breezy too but quite mild so hoping to get a few loads of washing dried on the washing line.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Hooter23

It is as windy yesterday and today as during the storm in galway

• Registered Users Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭esposito

Lovely morning in Dublin. Cloud is building up though but feeling warm.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,482 ✭✭✭Dazler97

Cloudy here in carrick ,bet its sunny everywhere else 😞 I'm just hoping now that the kids be back in school (well the secondary down here anyway ) on Friday that the weather will pick up

Another lunchtime ruined by the wind. It has become very windy here over the past hour. Bright, dry, but difficult to enjoy it.

Overcast and raining at times. Wind has died down a bit this past 30 minutes. More persistent and at times heavy rain pushing in to the NW later.

Heavy showers this afternoon. Very windy.

Leitrim

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,917 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Breezy but lovely day in Greystones. Sunny. 22.7c atm.

Advertisement