Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick GAA Discussion Part 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭Quitelife

the divisional clubs were tried in the mid noughties and created a share of interest with the South - Emmets been the most successful but got tripped up when teams like Blackrock at the time got to intermediate finals as well and found it hard serve two roles but I think it was a mistake to drop them altogether .

there’s lots of fellows playing with intermediate and junior clubs that deserve to play senior and just because they live somewhere there isn’t a senior team shouldn’t mean they never get to play senior hurling whether that is divisional teams or amalgamations of 5 or 6 clubs . Gearoid hegarty & Cathal O neill who played in all ireland final play junior hurling but get no opportunity to play senior , at least David & Paudi Clifford can play intermediate with their club and also senior football with the divisional East Kerry senior team . Should be looked at again in Limerick

• Registered Users Posts: 25,676 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

That's not what I am talking about though. I have nothing against divisional clubs participating.

I'm talking about some clubs having to join full time because they can't field a team at junior level.

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭C4000

With the split season and longer time frame for the county championships, it could definitely work. You could have 4 divisional teams - City, West, East and South - comprised of the best junior and intermediate players from each divison, that could play a round robin group (3 games each), with top two qualifying for the quarter finals of senior championship along with the top 4 from senior 1 and top 2 from senior 2.

It would mix up the senior championship nicely. There would be potential scheduling issues for players from clubs that make the knockout stages of junior/ intermediate championships, but they manage to do it in Kerry and Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,792 ✭✭✭billyhead

Was there talk previously that the likes of Feohanagh and Killeedy would merge there senior teams or am I imagining it?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,567 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Seriously. Cathal O'Neill plays Club Hurling, Senior Intercounty Hurling, Fitzgibbon Cup with College and dabbles in Club Football too (and played U21 Club Hurling last year). The last thing lads need is to be burned out and milked even more. How much is enough??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭PeggyShippen

Cathal O Neill can play an extra few matches with the division. They do it in Cork in both codes just fine. It's about managing the load. He might quit dabbling in the Gaelic football.

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

If it was all that popular when we tried it first time it would still be here.

No one gave a sht about it so it really doesn't matter what some other county done.

That's a very simplistic way of looking at things. Also asking for new teams with zero history to get any following from fans/players

It's so lame - and same goes for the ones in Cork etc. It's only parents and partners that go to matches for those divisional teams

There was sizeable crowds following divisional teams in the mid noughties plus it give players the chance to play at a higher level and brings more competition to the senior championship.

For the recoprd there is a history of it as Western Gaels won a county senior hurling title in the 60's.

Thats coming down the tracks too, theres many amalgamations at underage like Belville Gaels, Cois Laoi Gaels, Kilacolla Gaels, Glenquin gaels etc.

The days of a team in every parish are coming to an end as demographics wont allow it , definetly 10 to 15 hurling clubs presently only hanging in there and will be gone in 5 to 10 years time unless fellows keep playing into their 50's. If their close to the city with influx of new people theyve some chance but out the county its becoming harder & harder and in some cases impossible .

• Advertisement

Personally I don't remember those sizeable crowds.

Because there probably wasn't. It's too easy for people to say with nostalgia or just memory fading. There wouldn't be a reason for people to cheer these teams on.

As mentioned earlier, teams like Seandún etc. in Cork have no following bar parents and partners.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭PeggyShippen

Changing your tune now 'callaway 92'. Some divisions in Cork and Kerry have good followings. Seandun may have little following ( not that it makes a difference to my overall point). Divisions like Imokilly have a good following ..Carbery aswell. As a previous poster tried to educate you ..there is a history of Divisions in Limerick . Thats why there's east,south,City and west boards. Amalgamation should be a last resort because once a club is extinguished its not coming back. A proper divisional system could work but not with negative ,dismissive and dare I say it ignorant attitudes.

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

A divisional system can't fix a village not having 25/30 adult men to make up a team.

A divisional system can't pay the insurance for a club with dwindling members.

It actually solves nothing at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭gaa goes

Newcastle West clubman Jimmy Lee set to become the new Limerick senior football manager. It would appear to be a very shrewd appointment.

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭munsterdevil

And, yes, he's Billy's brother in case anyone is wondering.

How did I change my tune? Weird comment

I stick to the point that there’s no interest in it. The divisions in Cork have no ‘following’ bar family

Against that Imokilly won 3 county’s in recent years exposing a number of players to a higher level with some getting onto Cork senior panel . There was big crowds at all these final 12-15k .

A west limerick team with Seamus Flanagan , Nathan Hurley , Willie O meara etc playing Kilmallock etc in a county semi final or final would draw a big crowd and spice up the county championship which is the same 4 teams every year .

12-15k would surely be expected at a Cork final regardless of who is playing.

I could be wrong on the politics but surely if the Junior clubs want this they could outvoted the senior clubs and implement it.

Sounds to me like getting offended on other people's behalf.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭munsterdevil

They've tried the divisional teams several times now in Limerick and it's never lasted. I loved going to the Western Gaels games with my father in the '90s and there was great interest in it. I was delighted when they were brought back but it was never the same.

One of the biggest reasons we won't see their return is that Junior and Intermediate club preparations, demands, commitments, etc. have increased significantly since the '90s, and clubs are understandably more reluctant to vote it back in.

Bottom line, the majority of clubs, be they senior to junior, don't want them. It's time to move on, and the counties that do have them are outliers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭Pogue eile

Quoting Cork as a model to follow, Peggy this is more embarrassing that your dual citizenship carry on!

If we do bring it back will we have a North Limerick division team for all the Meelick, Cratkoe, Shannon Banks and Ardnacrusha players 😝

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭Iecrawfc

Maybe a limerick(clare) division to hoover up all those players that are limerick lads that had to move out that side of the city but still want a bit of success!

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭coffey87

Some promising results in the underage tournaments over the weekend. Won the U15 last year and the U16 this year, so looking good for the minors (U17) next year hopefully. Anybody at any of the tournaments?

I assume the wins are slightly blackmarked because of Tipp pulling out in all? Or am I wrong in saying that they pulled out?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭Pogue eile

Tipp won the U14 and U15 but pulled out of the U16 as a mark of respect to the terrible tragedy in Clonmel.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭Iecrawfc

Promising results but I think those tournaments are even less relevant than before for later minor/u20 success, some counties enter 2-3 equal teams, some enter A/B teams so it's hard to see any counties strength at a particular age-group. Good to see us up and challenging though but I reckon schools are a better predictor of strength,. To that end good to see 4 (3.5 really!) Limerick teams in the Harty Cup this year, hopefully all are competitive.

Good wins for Patrickswell over Ahane last night in senior hurling. Mungret also had a big win in the Senior 2 Group, Mungret & Monaleen in the coming 2/3 years are the best placed sides due to big population numbers & strong underages as a result will break into the big 4 of NAP, The WEll, Kilmallock & Doon.

There will be finals between NAP, Monaleen & Mungret in the coming 5 years with Kilmallock, Doon & Patrickswell trying to stay with them.

• Advertisement

I wouldn't be worried about the Well for the next while if what I hear about underage is true.

Advertisement