Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭Enzokk

Caicedo having a mare, not in the starting 11, giving away the ball and a penalty as well. Maybe we dodged a bullet? I think he will be fine, just hope for his sake Chelsea fans are more forgiving than ours, if he had that start for us you would have had fans ready to drive him to the next club for a fee of £115.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭tinpib

Good man Moises Caicedo, against 10 men and gives away a peno to make it 3:1 down. Lovely. Can savour this moment a little bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,644 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Maybe we did, maybe we didn't - but he has 8 years, 11 months, 3 weeks and 5 days to make amends 🙄

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,503 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

He’s made me change my mind about Endo. I’m willing to give him another half an hour to prove himself now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Heighway61

Very costly penalties.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,392 ✭✭✭GiftofGab

Tuned in at about 72mins gone and watched Caicedo. First, his positioning was terrible then got turned by a West Ham player (not sure who). He had to give away a free kick to stop the counter attack.

A few mins later, he gave the ball away at the edge of the box in which Fornals should have scored.

Then last few mins, he gave away a penalty to lose the game.

Absolutely dreadful debut. Made some huge blunders but his all around play was terrible too. Perhaps it was just nerves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Like Endo I wouldn't look too much into Caicedo's performance.

Just happy it happened and Chelsea got stuffed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Bit early for that but I can't say I didn't smile a little.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,305 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

Of course people are making too much out of a nervous debut,it does highlight how the long contracts could backfire though, Chelsea owners are going all in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,068 ✭✭✭jones

All in all a good weekend for Liverpool with the results for United, Chelsea, Newcastle. Arsenal drawing tomorrow would be the icing on the cake 😄

• Advertisement

The worrying thing is they made a 22-year old DM that, while impressive had not stood out to justify the fee at the moment, the record signing and gave him a 8 year contract. That is a lot for a 22-year old to take on their shoulders. In fairness we would have done the same, but he rejected us to go to Chelsea so he has to step up and perform. At the moment we are laughing at them, if they come to Anfield and he destroys us in a winning performance then it all turns around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,305 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

I honestly don't think man city results affect us,or arsenals, they are going to be first and second,so a great weekend of results for us in the race for third.

Oh yeah that's what I mean in a top 4 sense for Liverpool. I think city will win the league again but wouldn't be as sure about Newcastle finishing second let's see how they handle Europe.

All we can hope for is top 4 and do well in europa.

Quiet few days for the transfer rumours..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭atilladehun

I think we're definitely in the fight for 2nd. Arsenal and Newcastle are in there to but they have a lot to contend with in Europe. They won't be perfect. Probably mid 80 points. We can punch in that fight.

Utd, spurs, Chelsea won't be there at the end imo.

I think city will drop the level but not by enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,614 ✭✭✭Damien360

I watched the Newcastle game. They just need a striker. Other than that, that is a good team. They don't find themselves panicking even when they constantly play out of the back and City played a very high press line. We will struggle against them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Will probably kick off again during the week when the weekend football is over

Newcastle the first real acid test.

I was terrified going into that game last season but we won thanks to super goalkeeping and a Pope brainfart.

The run Newcastle went on afterwards was something though.

If we had the bodies I'd say we should low block them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,644 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,614 ✭✭✭Damien360

In the city game he was lost. In fairness, the supply to him was choked. But Newcastle had plenty of chances going forward, particularly down the right wing, but there was nobody in the centre ready to pounce.

They have the money but haven't broke the bank on a striker. Not sure if Eddie Howe is trying to keep the comradrie intact for now by not going for a Johnny big balls player.

Either way, we are going to struggle against them. The defence was tight and the midfield covered the lines really well allowing no space. They break very fast all the way from the back line. Very direct at times which we absolutely struggle to defend against particularly with the hybrid right back role.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,318 ✭✭✭ratracer

Our best bet, sad and all as it is to say, is for TAA to miss the games covering. He’ll stay as an RB, Endo as DM with Szobo and Gakpo in the middle. This would put a stranglehold on newcastles attack, and our attack is much better, stay with the same trio as last week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,503 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

It’s not like Trent is completely neutered by having to play at right back though, the amount of assists and pass-to-assists he’s created from the deep right position is still exceptional.

This video is probably the best argument to put an end to this doomed experiment:

It’s easy to forget that what made Trent so effective in our trophy winning seasons, is that he offered another threat from a deeper position that teams generally don’t come up against very often.

There’s no need to fix what isn’t broken.

Completely agree.

Trent in RB please. It's crowded in the middle.

Tell Endo to cover for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,318 ✭✭✭ratracer

Don’t get me wrong, TAA was the best player in his position (RB) for the last number of seasons until he started drifting into midfield. Maybe iIts a testament to the others who covered him so well that it wasn’t noticed, but this hybrid role that he’s been asked to play just doesn’t work, and it’s costing goals!

I’ve said previously that he can play defence or midfield, but he can’t play both. It’s a glaring weakness in the team and is so easily exploited by many teams.

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭JPup

Didn’t we win 8 and draw 2 of our last 10 games with Trent in this new hybrid midfield role? And so far this season it’s one win and a draw. Hardly a failed experiment!

The system needs to be ironed out, but no need to abandon it. At the very least it’s good for us to have it as an option to change things up in games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,038 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

That midfield thing worked and was needed when we had zero creativity in midfield. Mac and Szobo change all that and kind of already provide the positives that Trent brings. Trent recently looks more like he’s just getting in their way and funnelling all our passing talent into too small an area. Better for him to stay wide where there’s space and an additional angle he can pass from.

This exactly. We need to move on from this experiment it doesn't work against any half decent team. It leaves us way too open. The end of season stats last season are misleading we were very lucky in a number of those games and won while playing rubbish or against teams who didn't care.

The midfield has changed and we no longer need Trent in there. We do not have the control city have to pull this off nor is Trent a good enough defender to do it and play hybrid midfield.

We tried it now time to bin it or we'll be conceding a lot of goals this season.

I think it is easy to forget we had the problems of Trent and defending before he moved to his pivot role. It's not like we were tearing it up at the start of last season and there was a reason we moved to the pivot role. Teams had worked us out and it made it easy to plan and play against us.

I do wonder if going back to what we did before and making it easy for the other teams is the solution?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭dmigsy

But it's not the same if you have a midfielder who can run and help defend in front of Trent. At the start of last season, he was exposed with Elliot in front of him quite a bit. Szoboszlai has far more running power and physicality to help out defensively. I think Trent was involved in all four goals yesterday - all the Liverpool ones from wide and one from the middle for Bournemouth.

Keep him at RB and get him on the ball. He's not good enough in midfield to trade-off destabilising the defence so much.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

People can use yesterday’s game to make themselves feel better about Caicedo; but it sure didn’t make me feel better about our performance against Chelsea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,389 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Pearce has an article out in the Athletic this morning saying we're not looking at another 6 this window.

I was half expecting it and as long as we get a LCB it's been an ok window. If we add another CM (Gravenbach etc) then it'll be a step in the right direction. I'd love Andre in January though and hopefully they take a chance on him for a relatively low fee.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭McFly85

I’m not surprised at that, considering Bajcetic was on the bench at the weekend. Once he gets match fit I would imagine him and Endo sharing the DM responsibilities up until January.

That’s true, but I’d prefer a bad hour on the pitch that can be rectified than to have put all of our eggs in the Caicedo basket.

He’s an excellent player but he’s worth nowhere near the money they paid(and we might have done).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 698 ✭✭✭The Moist Buddha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,103 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

I think Trent has actually been playing a lot more at RB this season so far than in the hybrid DM role.

He held the width a bit more against Chelsea and this was his heatmap against Bournemouth. It's pretty much down the right hand flank. A few bits centrally but not overkill.

When that is compared to one of the games last season when he clearly was playing in midfield, it's a big difference.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭The Rooster

Slight concern over Diaz, wouldn’t be surprised if he’s rested next weekend. Took a knock towards the end and they want to make sure the knee is 100% to reduce the risk of a recurrence of the injury that had him out for so long.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Firstly I am okay with Trent at RB knowing he has defensive frailties. I take his offensive output over the ability to defend any day. Look at how United are viewed when they lose a game and Wan-Bissaka's offensive deficiencies are highlighted. But I think we forget we still struggled with Trent and our best midfielders in the middle. That is where Madrid targeted us and other teams did it as well. This was before last season as well.

I don't know if the answer is to have him roaming the sideline again, as I said I think that made us predictable to plan against. We will have to see how the season goes, but like all other seasons it will only be judged on results. I hope we will have a good season if we are lucky with injuries this season.

Having a defensively suspect Trent at RB getting double digit assists is better than him vacating the position altogether without a clear benefit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,293 ✭✭✭✭rob316

That's disappointing but we did bid 110m for one so obviously we don't see the right one available now. Definitely need another CM though so I'd welcome Gravenberch

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭cmac2009

Has there been any indication -from Klopp or any journos - that they will be appealing the red card? Presuming it needs to happen over the next day or two if they want to lodge an appeal.

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭Robert2014

Hopefully it could also be part of negotiations with clubs to say we don't need a no. 6 in the hope that prices may not be outside our budget. Obviously the journalists are getting briefed by the club but they had no wind of the Caicedo deal until the very end so truthfully they have no idea if we are and are not looking for a defensive midfielder at present.

Haven’t heard anything which is a bad sign.

It looks like getting something rescinded is fairly difficult and they could be worried about getting the ban extended if the appeal fails.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭atilladehun

The ban being extended for the appeal failing just screams of an abuse of power. A properly progressive reffing system would have a sit down with the clubs every week to talk through games.

• Administrators Posts: 54,111 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Not signing a DM would be very concerning IMO and January will be too late.

We will drop so many points from being so porous, any team with a half decent attacking setup will score past us.

I'm not sure what difference waiting is going to make. We'll be just as desperate in January as we are now, and signings in January are much harder than in the summer.

And it'll be even harder to attract one next summer when we've no Champions League for the second year in a row...

We have signed one (Endo) , and we aren't signing another one according to Pearce.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,011 ✭✭✭antimatterx

Appeal lodged against MacAllisters red card.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,181 ✭✭✭Sappy404

I really hope we get Gravenberch over the line soon. United have been heavily linked, and the way things are going at Chelsea and with de Bruyne out at City I can see other clubs being interested seeing as Bayern are open to a move.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,103 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Bayern didn't play for Bayern last year, and the club/agent are trying to hawk him around Europe at the moment to sell him. Tuchel is public in trying to get a midfielder in and not play Gravenberch. I think that says a lot in itself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Is he any good? And isn't there questions about his attitude?

• Advertisement
Advertisement