Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTÉ admits paying Tubridy €345,000 more than declared

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭RoTelly

Completely tone deaf, but outside of firing Tubs RTÉ have not done very much. Even the ad for the RoT looks amateurish.

I know you could argue that the executive board / leadership team are working on reports and that the other aspects of RTÉ are put on hold until the figure everything and put pen to paper and give answers. However they should be looking at the day to day running of RTÉ, and that means that someone in the leadership team needs to be able to say, "oh, that promo for the RoT... lets drop that for something else .. and come up with something a little less tired ... after all the new co-presenter is supposed to be bring something new to the event."

Can we boycott RoT on Monday/Tuesday Night? Please don't watch, the lovely people's competition.

______

Just one more thing .... when did they return that car

Yesterday

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,033 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

I wouldn't watch it for 170k.

Okay maybe I would for that amount of money - but I never watch it.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,033 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

I guess we will never know for sure.

I suppose it wasn't an easy decision because he knew him personally. Tubridy is described as the top broadcaster (well most highly paid anyway 🙄) and all the rest of it. He had to try to weigh up the impact of letting him go versus bringing him back.

I thought it was interesting too that Bakhurst mentioned a few times that Tubridy wouldn't basically take any responsibility for the part he played in the whole debacle.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭yagan

I'm late to the party too as I tuned out of rte when I gave up having a tv two decades ago. My understanding is that tubridy took a paycut in solidarity with everyone else in rte during COVID, but in reality his take-home was unaffected by workarounds to keep him sweet.

My only question now is if he was told these topups might be disclosed prompted his march announcement to quit the late late show. He talked about travel shows for rte as a next phase thing.

I have a feeling that unsustainable revenues meant real cuts coming but tubridys threats to leave for more money elsewhere tipped the board to make disclosures that would have stayed in-house in the past.

I reckon tubridys ego probably made it easy for the board to air their own dirty laundry, the arrival of a new director general allowed for a clean sheet reset.

However tubridys latest insistence that he did no wrong in receiving an indirect top-up undermined a contract renewal.

The model simply could no longer sustain tubridy scape egos. It good to see Kielty upfront about his three contract fee.

I'd happily apply to be a rose for that kind of money.

______

Yesterday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,122 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

It's an interesting theory, but I don't think it was a grand plan by the board.

There was a changing of CFO, and the financial chicanery \ barter account manipulations employed by the previous leadership seems to have caught the new CFO unawares.

Also, the auditors may not have picked up on it only two €75,000 payments were processed together which as a larger amount came under scrutiny.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,192 ✭✭✭squonk

I can’t see RT becoming president now, or maybe yet but with his connections I wouldn’t be surprised if he wrangled a senate seat. The seanaid has always been either a pity fûck for people who lost their TD seat and might get it back next time out or a retirement home for the lads who were stepping back from the full TD role. For the younger crowd it was a chance to build s reputation and name without being at rush of doing any real damage, kind of training wheels and then for others it was just s as sindcure allowing them to escape the real world and responsibilities, never having to do ram queen and knowing their various electorate bodies would return them teen after term. I could see Tubbs getting in on that lever, even better it’s the kind of place he could feel intellectual and hid himself he’s making a difference while actually doing nothing but connecting a paycheck. I could absolutely see him landing that with his connections and his pseudo aspirations.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭cmac2009

Is his time at RTE over or is he just on an extended break now, and will be back in some role in the future?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Northernlily

It's a breathtaking sight to behold the level of power Noel Kelly had in RTE. What is underpinning that? How did one man who appeared unremarkable by all accounts get that level of power unchecked?

There is still something missing here for me. How did he swan is way into these circles, what did he bring to the table to obtain the ear of people that they were basically going to at great lengths to put their careers on the line over it?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,483 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

On your first paragraph I totally agree about O’hEadhra but would implicate the producers as well.

They have destroyed the programme.

On the other issue I feel KB was very cool and evenhanded when coming under very hostile questioning from McInerney on PT. Didn’t wear the tie which I thought was a master stroke and put McInerney back on her heels with the swift confident and straight talking replies to the questions he got.

Time will tell if he can achieve REAL CHANGE in that gaff.

It won’t be easy. Lot of big beasts with deep connections out there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭yagan

Wasn't it the board that chose to make it public knowledge?

To me the timing suggests that the disclosure which went against the old cosy RTE shuffle culture was unavoidable. I reckon Tubridy's biggest problem as an RTE creation is his incomprehension that revenue loss change is actually happening.

Keilty knows that a contractor shouldn't presume renewal with the client, hence the upfront declaring of fees for his contract.

When change is coming then it's better to cut losses to stay ahead of that change. Tubridy's whole manner suggests he never really believed he's ever really have to take a cut, which goes to my theory that the disclosure by the board was a last straw with him.

Bakhurst said, the night he was on the news and on Prime Time, that the door was still open. He refused - rightly in my opinion - to put a timeframe on any return in the future.

But since then Tubridy - or his circle - seem to have said some fairly hostile stuff along the lines of Bakhurst never intending to have him return in the first place. I think that's the gist of a piece that was linked on here last night from the Sindo's Twitter account.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,511 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

There's a grand total of 3 NKM clients on the 2FM 6-9am show, on a loss making station.

Bakhurst has a big job ahead rooting out NKM's tenticles from RTE but it has to be done. He should just issue a blanket ban on working with NKM and let clients decide if they want to stay or go.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,397 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

NK has updated the pictures on his front page, and even has a pic of the RTE Guide there now.

https://www.nkmanagement.ie/

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 30,122 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

If you had been following the PAC hearings, I don't think that is how things played out at all.

Once it had been queried by the auditors, a chain of events had been set in motion.

Now Bakhurst at this point may have taken the opportunity to lay down the marker so to speak.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

David Nally, exits RTÉ, he was their Director of Contents chief advisor. Jim Jennings, Director of Content, is out sick, somethings going around.

Nally was moved for News & CA (Bakhurst chief advisor when he was there) following complaints from a journalist), a sideways move.

Nally wrote a letter to the Times following an article by Justine McCarthy.

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Impression I had from recent interviews is that Jennings is actually ill but is keen to give his side of things when back in the pink.

The others claiming to be ill I don't think will come forward with information unless they are forced to. For people given high paying executive jobs like that, it's an absolute disgrace and shows that they were ill fitted for the roles in the first place. It reflects very badly on them. In fact I'd go further and say it really undermines the campaign to put more women on boards and in senior positions.

The can has been kicked over and I think quite a bit more is going to tumble out.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

You well be right about Ryan's future - appointments to some state boards and a seat in the senate. That's where all the boring old farts go when their careers are over, so he'll be well suited there and can waffle away without bothering us.

No way though to the Aras - burnt too many bridges there.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,024 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

If none of this sho1te happened though, but yet he still gave up TLLS earlier this year, just what exactly was his future game plan?

• Advertisement

Ballymount not interested stating "For a start, what would he do?", showing their lack of imagination.

Though in fairness VMTV can look to their experience with Pat Kenny.

______

Yesterday

But for one thing- Ryan isn’t “intellectual” - he has absolutely no track record of news analysis, critique or journalism behind him- Kenny did- he made his name as a serious broadcaster and was eventually awarded with his own chat show- I’d say RTÉ reluctantly gave him TLLS but he didn’t “break” it and anyway Byrne was a very hard act to follow- he got out at the right time and his place in broadcasting history is “safe” .

Tubridy? Jayzuz- where do you start.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,640 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

What does he actually offer another radio station or TV channel in Ireland that they don't already have with better people working for them.

Name value maybe before the payment scandal however his name value is in the toilet now.

Podcasting is where it will be for him and if he draws numbers one of the commercial channels may see some value in hiring him as a talking head.

Talk to Harry and Meaghan about “pod-casting” - you’re only in demand as long as people

1. like you and
    2. you’ve something interesting people want to hear or listen to. they’ve failed on both counts

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

And he made this statement in the middle of negotiating his return to the airwaves. Instead of waiting until the negotiations were complete.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭jmcc

Hasn't updated Tubridy's page yet.

The Sindo/Indo mentioned that the great purge of Tubridy on RTE begins tomorrow.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 5,831 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

As someone else said, the "people in the know" like the RTE board, welcomed Dee Forbes as a "visionary"! as they lauded her as the first woman director general of RTE. I suspect that if it was a man, we'd have heard more about the need for a woman to do it properly!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,192 ✭✭✭squonk

He has to go away and remake himself. I don’t see any of the informant operators taking him on. VM are likely right. What would they do with him? I don’t watch much of their output but they already have their own people in place.

Let’s look at the previous LLS presenters. Gay would have been a minor coup The any independents. So much so RTE pays him to enjoy his retirement and not be available for anywhere else to take him on. Pat Kenny, love him or hate him, has a great track record as a C political presenter. It’s where he’s most comfortable and is value for money really. Now, Tubbs. Promoted beyond his meagre abolition. Made a balls of TLLS. Then got the plum G Ryan slog after his demise, made a balls of that and got parachuted back to R1 for an hour long morning show. Again, made a balls of that as well and couldn’t even manage to make a handy hour long slot interesting in any way. So, really, as an independent who has to raise their own revenue from output, what exactly are you paying for with RT?

He needs to go do a podcast but completely rebuild. Learn his craft and learn to do research and learn the art of interviewing. Either that or find a niche he excels at and double down in that. He might then have soldering that would attract an independent. His safety net is gone. The days when he could phone it in and be mediocre but still get saved are gone. Time to put on the big boy boots and take his career seriously and put the work in. It’s not easy at his stage in life but he’s just that bit too young to call it quits.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,566 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Problem with podcasting is a serious amount of RT's audience is older listeners. How do you transfer or enable them to listen. Nobody is getting 150k+ a year from podcasting in Ireland I think

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,510 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

America or the Beeb it is for him then, bye bye - did anyone seriously think he was gonna get picked up by an Irish media company

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement