Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTÉ admits paying Tubridy €345,000 more than declared

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,011 ✭✭✭RoTelly

VMTV could take the TLLS and put it on Saturday night, but its unlikely to work because VMTV don't have any other Irish programming that could surround Tubrity Tonight. The other option would be to give him a late night chat show at 11pm following The Tonight Show.

It is more to do with the life cycle of Bauer and Virgin Media TV.

Bauer is now on course to retain audience across its suite of Radio stations, PK has done his job in this respect, I don't see anyone of note replacing him when he decides to retire. Today FM have Ian Dempsey and have a good strong schedule across the day, and Tubs would not fit on this schedule.

VMTV meanwhile really have been in the same life cycle since it established as TV3, "maintain our regulatory requirements for Irish programming after all we have coro st and some sport". VMTV fired a hosts of presenters and replaced them with Tommy Bowe, he didn't come on board for small change.

______

Just one more thing .... when did they return that car

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭selectamatic

To lump teachers into this mess by means of a comparison takes some doing, even accounting for the ingrained hatred of the everyday public sector worker some people have.

Wage cuts, two tier pay packages and a pull the ladder up behind us thought process with regards to pensions has the everyday public sector work conditions where they are now. Damn near ruined.

No one wants to be a teacher in a big urban area because they can't have a decent standard of living doing so, the guards can't recruit enough suitable candidates and Drew Harris hasn't a bulls notion what he's at, the country can't hold onto nurses because they'll have a far better pay, hours and over all a far better standard of living in another country, all the while the HSE as a whole is creaking and faltering despite being funded to the last.

Tubridy, and rte upper management are much more comparable to the upper management throughout the public sector/ civil service, semi state CEO's and indeed some of the union CEO's.

Problem being, it's upper management and "stars" soaking up all this "extra" money in the economy while the people who actually make the service possible get less and less.

Your post is akin to the ramblings earlier on in this thread by a certain poster who had a gripe with ESB workers getting suitably paid for being qualified professionals having to work in at times dangerous conditions. It's madness.

Everyday normal people swiping and b1tching at each other while the C suite and stars laugh at us all.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,640 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Eamon Dunphy made €100k in 2022.

He made €40k in it's first year.

New accounts filed by Dunphy’s Pepperwort Ltd show that the firm’s 2022 profits of €103,595 is almost three times the profits of €39,508 recorded in 2021.

The podcast generates its revenues from advertisers while subscribers can pay €5 (excluding VAT) per month.

The second captains pod makes about €550k a year split 5 ways.

There is money to be made in the podcast world.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭jmcc

The difference is that these podcasts have interesting hosts and interesting content. Would people pay to hear Tubridy's babbling?

Regards...jmcc

That's my original point he doesn't offer anything to commercial channels in Ireland and the only place for him really go in Ireland is the podcast world in the hope he can build an audience that might offer him a chance to get work from the commercial channels.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Hyperbollix

I don't know but I imagine it was probably a simple case of him acquiring effective monopoly power over the representation of "talent" within RTE's ranks.

Someone within RTE had to have hired him first, lets say it was Pat Kenny. Within himself and Pat, they played hardball on a couple of contract negotiations, netted Pat huge moolah back in the pre-crash days and then word of mouth within RTE did the rest. Pat recommended him to colleagues and he began snapping up one presenter after another because he had a proven track record of getting results.

Fast forward to the last 5 years and one man effectively own's 80% of RTE's on-air staff. That's a lot of bargaining power. Factor in that he had afew shady deals and arrangements (barter account outside the jurisdiction, dodgy invoicing practices etc) and you can see that NK could easily call the shots, especially when dealing with a mannequin like Dee Forbes.

The problem for Tubridy, as has been pointed out upthread, is that his "audience" isn't exactly a podcast audience in that listening to a radio isn't quite the same as using the Internet to access a podcast. That requires more steps than switching on a radio. Tubridy isn't really a marketable product outside of radio or TV broadcast and his brand has been seriously damaged by recent events. The metrics on podcasts are far more accurate than the radio and TV audience figures due to the feedback loop of people having to access podcasts. Perhaps Tubridy could grow an audience for a podcast but he's no Eamon Dunphy.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 19,482 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

the real problem of course was that nobody in RTE had the nuts to tell him to eff off.

RTE held all the cards but they were too foolish to realise it,hence the current debacle which will have to be unravelled.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭FunkyDa2

I wonder if a career in politics beckons for Tubs?...(imagine if he became Minister for Communications)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,482 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Too much like hard work.....think George Lee

• Advertisement

Perhaps he wanted to be president? :)

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 5,333 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

Unless, as another posted said earlier, he somehow gets nominated to the Seanad he wouldn't have a hope in our parochial political system. He'd get the vote of the people who were phoning Liveline on Friday but outside of that he wouldn't have a hope as he'd make everything about himself rather than fixing whatever local issue the voters in his potential constituency are concerned about, assuming he'd even have the slightest notion what that is. Even if our political system didn't focus on the local he wouldn't have a hope as he's basically clueless about everything as a result of his decades long bubble created by living in RTÉ since he was a teenager.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,023 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

That boatymcboatface has well and truely sailed

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Hyperbollix

I could not see Tubridy starting and growing a successful podcast. That takes hard work and effort. Say what you like about Vogue Williams and her equally tiresome buddy, but I bet they put the hours in and have to do a shedload behind the scenes to get that twaddle out on time every week. Tubridy's been institutionalized in RTE for so long, with an army of skivvies doing his actual job for him, that the idea of him going alone on a podcast ala Eamon Dunphy is just comical!

What the hell would the subject even be? Books I half read? Quirky young fogey clothes I still love? Strolls on the beach in Galway while looking wistfully into the middle distance and contemplating 'Irishness'?

Tubridy might be the FF (but not FF) nomination. :) It would be fun to see him run.

Regards...jmcc

Things are so bad for Tubridy right now that the good people of Galway wouldn't even have a parade for him. And they'd have a parade for just about anything in the parade capital of Ireland.

Regards...jmcc

I read that as rooting out NKM's 'testicles'😅

He'll be hoping the hundreds of thousands of children, who adore him, grow up quickly 🤭

Perhaps he can set up an "unboxing" channel on Youtube where he unboxes and reviews the latest toys? :)

Regards...jmcc

Agewise, Vogue Williams and some of those other podcasters are in the demographics for podcasts. Tubridy is not. Tubridy trying to do a podcast would be as cringe-worthy as Dad Dancing.

Regards...jmcc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Speak Now

• Registered Users Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Not a hope Tubridy could do a podcast, he couldn't even read what was laid out in front of him on his radio show.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,070 ✭✭✭CollyFlower

Just watched the Prime Time program with KB, I liked his openness and his clarity about how much RT would be paid if/when he came back, he didn't hide behind buzz words that RTE normally use, eg "commercialy sensitive", "lessons have been learned", etc.... I noticed that the lady who was interviewing him was a bit stunned for a second when he mentioned all the staff will have their pay cuts when their contracts are up for renewal. 😊

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Offering Tubs up isn't tackling the problems of RTE reform and mismanagement.

I don't know a 500 hour deep dive on a JFK podcast could be right up his unemployed street.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,528 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Ryan's big and immediate problem is going to be money. I'm sure he has some put aside but kids, houses, staff, offices etc. drain static resources pretty bloody quick.

Podcasting, even if successcul, would be too slow in drawing in an income and what income it eventually did probably wouldn't touch the sides of the lifestyle he's become accustomed to.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,192 ✭✭✭squonk

You’d have to think he had some rainy day funds though. He’s been raking it in for the past 15 years and surely his nice are old enough now to stand in their own feet. I’m not sure in that though.

This isn’t Johnny who worked in the loading bay for 20 years suddenly finding himself unemployed and not having much after having out the bids through school and paying the mortgage all those years. This is a guy who at one stage could gave paid off his mortgage with what he took home in pay in a single year. If you haven’t a substantial nest egg raking in at least 500,000 per annum, you need help.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,023 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

Didn't someone once say that politics is show business for ugly people? Running for president would probably be the most entertaining thing that Tubridy ever did in his life.

Regards...jmcc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,070 ✭✭✭CollyFlower

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement