Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The dairy boom.Can we officially say its over

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

Another factor that hasn’t been mentioned is the SFP / BISS.

For 40 HA at the national average of €200, you’ve €8,000 to help with the fertiliser bill.

If a cow is leaving you €500 that’s like 16 extra cows you’re getting paid for without having to milk them or rent 16 extra acres to keep the nitrates right.

That’s €8,000 before tax obviously so not as simple as I’m saying but still a help all the same.

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users Posts: 4,844 ✭✭✭straight

On the 60 cow set up..... Here's my story for what it's worth.

Quit the job 6 years ago. Paid my parents 130k for 65 cows plus replacements. Borrowed it, but had no mortgage or other borrowings apart from buy to let's which kinda look after themselves financially speaking. My parents had alot of the heavy lifting done here, modern parlour, facilities and most roadways. Bit by bit I spent about 100k out of cashflow on more slurry storage, silage pit, calf house, calf feeder. Got 60% grant being a young farmer. Also spent about 100k out of cashflow on tractor, mower, tank, agitator, bale handler, fertiliser spinner and a few other bits and pieces. Upgraded water troughs and piping, extended and added more roadways while working on building up soil fertility. Actively reseeding now and the place is well set up. Got the place right within 5 years and debt paid off too. Took last year's profits and bought 13 Ha to protect myself from the nitrates regs. It's costing me 18k per year now in repayments for 20 years and they are my only repayments. Milking 80 cows currently and will probably let them build up to 90ish.

Biggest problem with the dairying is how tied you are to it but that's my own weakness. I enjoy it in general and get to spend plenty time with the children. Couldn't imagine going back to the job now and missing for 10 hours a day.

My advice to people has always been milk cows if you like the lifestyle but don't do it for the money and I'd give the same advice to someone thinking of any other career I guess. I've no interest in going over 100 cows and will be investing further profits outside the farm gate with an eye to hanging up the clusters at 60ish. Life is short as they say.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,656 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Ya that will be an interesting one. The lease is signed and the tax relief is linked to it. To avail of the relief you have to fulfil the terms and conditions. Mainly this is pay the PRSI and USC which usually amounted to 10%. However if you have significant outside earning the USC could be higher hitting 8% along with PRSI which those below 66 must pay.

You would imagine that real higher rates for leasing are tied to smaller areas ( below 50 acres) but the bill for that at 500/ acre is 2-3k. If the break comes early enough ( at the start of year 2) it probably makes sense to pull the lease, pay the tax and renew the lease.

The sting is where the lease is in year 4 o-6 and payment ceases on an 8 year+ lease, especially where there is significant land area involved even if at what at the start of this year seemed smaller rates. Say a 100 acre farm at 300/ acre at the higher rate is 3.6/ year, if you break the lease it's a 50K+ tax bill so it's cheaper pay the USC/PRSI bill and renegotiate the terms.

It's interesting I came across a few lads that bought land lately that were going leasing it for the first 5 years to make repayments. The return was being highlighted by auctioneers only earlier this year for land costing 15k an acre at a rental of 4-500/ acre the return was 2.6-3.3/ acre. If course they failed to mention stamp duty @7.5% or USC/PRSI giving a real return 2.2-2.7%.

Neither did they mention risk.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭green daries

Welllllll interesting is right 😄😄😉😉👍

Problem is many of the more substantial leases on higher land areas are from within a company format. For substantial land area these might be a seperate company to the farmers other holdings. These guys are business men not farmers. The company can be stripped of any cash to keep it in debt by paying off director loans and paying wages over the years.

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭yosemitesam1

The sense of entitlement is amazing.

An inflation/cost of living crises and they're going to pay out big money to make food more expensive? Hard to see how that would pass.

If dairy farmers never have to go through a downturn without the taxpayer bailing them out, how will they ever learn not to make stupid decisions like borrowing heavily to milk cows or bidding up the price of land?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭jaymla627

What are you rambling to me for re sense of entitlement, have never drew down a euro here in sfp/tams etc, sole income is the milk cheque, eu driven policy is what's dictating the pace here, 10 years ago if the restrictions re nitrates derogation etc where sign-posted to lads not as many would of went of the deep-end mortgaging the place to milk 100's of cows....

Net zero by 2050 is a strawman to line the pockets of alot of vested interests and will be well-funded by eu/government level to feather alot of nests God forbid a dairy farmer might get a pay-day along the way

Just on the investors...its something that sickens me . Its the main advice from accountants and investment advisors ....put it into land.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,827 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Directors loans are usually the result of transferring assets into the company at startup. Therefore such a company would have assets. One of the major reasons behind migration to a company structure was also to purchase land. Lots of farmers would have done it for that reason.

If a debt is not paid by a company, the person owed money can petition to have it wound up. If the company is loss making and not worth anything then the owners can walk away with no personal liability. That's a fair bit away from someone overpaying for an extra 10 acres.

It would be more difficult to do what you are saying in a typical, say. large dairy farm. If assets are siphoned off to defraud creditors, then the directors can be sued and held liable too.

• Advertisement

Yeah, they come up with these schemes for one purpose and they end up leaving loopholes which completely defeats the intended purpose.

The original idea was presumably to encourage smaller and older farmers to lease out their land rather than holding onto it so that others could hit better economies of scale. What happened in practice was that investors bid up prices of land against the actual farmers who would work it.

Ag relief also should be tightened up.

480 for 22 acres in conacre and you can do nothing with 2.5 acres of it

Your as far away from facts and reality as a fairy bush

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭MIKEKC

Could you explain exactly how I'm far away from the facts. There is no point making statements of not followed be an exact explanation

Just to add that the directors are ob the hook for everything anymore no such thing as a free lunch anymore

Oh god it wasn't me just a local hero running three dairy farms two leased and a lot of land leased for feeding the home farm if they keep going with that money I'll be leasing mine to them

The facts are that your away with the fairy's. 😉🤔🤔

• Registered Users Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭yosemitesam1

The whole nitrates thing was never guaranteed to stay the same. It was up to everyone to decide how much risk was acceptable relying on a derogation and have a plan for if things change.

Lots of businesses the length and breadth of the country struggling. Dairy farmers should take it on the chin like everyone else does.

In farming( well in any attempt to move to an LTD structure) directors loans are really attempt as much as possible to unused capital allowances into the company structure so they can be drawn down in future in the form of tax free income. You do not want to leave unused allowances behind you. It often creates a search for rusty equipment or scrap that can be given a value above it real worth.

This creates a significant tax free sum that can be drawn down without paying tax on it at a future date. The movement to LTD structure have different functions. In many situations it's to limit the liability of the directors or investors as there may be significant risk and upside in the investment.

In a farming or small business situation the company structure is really to solve a long-term tax liability and maybe allow long-term investment. However it's important to remember any investments ( especially land or houses) are not yours

A business man I know considered the option but on further investigation decided against it even though his accountant was advising different.

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement

It was not just the nitrates. The calf situation regarding export and slaughter was always going to change. Similar with unroofed cubicles, outwintering pads and lagoons.

Lads just had there heads in the sand and ar$e in the air similar to an ostrich

Slava Ukrainii

Another stupid reply. I will take it that you agree with me as for the second time you have failed to supply an explanation

seems a lot of people have their heads in the sand

Back in 2005 Roadstone would not sell lime to a LTD Company even though the directors were doing business with them for years before incorporating .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭Tonynewholland

Some co ops were trying to discourage farmers going Ltd but it didn't work.

Previous personal dealings with directors is irrelevant. The limited company has separate legal personality. Selling to the director is not the same as selling to the company of which the person is a director.

They were encouraged to borrow and expand via government policy to be fair. Until there was an abrupt 180 degree turnaround.

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭Cattlepen

Try gluten free oats. Might not be the milk

They are and they are not. Networking matters in all its forms. TBH I expect that as LTD formats were new in farming that Roadstone were just hedging risk.

That would really have nothing to do with Roadstone

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement

I understand that but normally a LTD Company is formed by people whose profits are high. I'm sure that the likes of Roadstone are dealing with many companies for supply of parts etc . I presume their policy has changed by now otherwise they would loose lot of business

Advertisement