Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,412 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭mike_cork

• Registered Users Posts: 5,805 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

I'm surprised (happily) they announced so many. I wasn't expecting that much as an initial donation.

They just need to sort out the training. I know it appears they have started the training.... But it was announced many times over the past few months that training had begun.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,751 ✭✭✭zv2

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” — Voltaire

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,339 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I've heard this same nonsense too WRT to Educate Together, bizarrely. That teaching kids about gender and sexuality was some grand Machiavellian scheme towards depopulation - presumably by turning us all gay or something; while the whys of which not entirely clear.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭prunudo

How could they get more aggressive, they're already using all their troops as cannon fodder and shelling indiscriminately.

19 plans also confirmed as coming from Denmark. I presume that's part of the overall 42 figure and not on top of that figure ?

Hopefully other countries will also donate but it's def a great start

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Virgil°

I think 42 is how many they have. There appears to be a great deal of confusion flying around about the initial lot of planes promised. But I doubt they'll be handing over all of their f16s in one go when they haven't been backfilled with the F-35s they've ordered.

They've been doing stealth mobilisation for months now

A general call for full mobilisation would do a number of things

1. Show they are struggling in the war

2. Completely kill off the Russian economy

3. Not sure Russia has the hardware or firepower to support a fully mobilised country.

All Eyes On Rafah

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,164 ✭✭✭saabsaab

They have tried aggression and so far it hasn't worked. Their best course of action would be to withdraw and try to amke some kind of agreement.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭prunudo

That would be an even better outcome.

On a side note, I was delighted to see their lunar mission failed.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,164 ✭✭✭saabsaab

• Registered Users Posts: 3,278 ✭✭✭thomil

My understanding is that the Dutch number does not include the 19 Danish aircraft, which would bring the total force up to 61 aircraft. A quick back-of-the-envelope calculation based on a squadron size of 14 aircraft would mean that this package yields four squadrons, with five unallocated aircraft over for flight training etc.. Oryx is certainly listing them separately.

EDIT: The bigger question for me is how many of these aircraft will be single seaters and how many will be double-seaters suitable for conversion training as well as fighting. Eventually, the Ukrainian Air Force will have to train its own pilots as well, so a number of double-seaters would undoubtedly be helpful in order to make the force sustainable in the long run.

Good luck trying to figure me out. I haven't managed that myself yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭IdHidden

The US has over a 1000 of F16s in storage with nearly 3000 scattered all over friendly airforces around the world, mostly still in active service. It’s pretty much an endless supply. 

https://www.f-16.net/aircraft-database/F-16/stored-aircraft/airforce/USAF/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭Polar101

Shoigu getting fired is similar news to Belarus entering the war, Medvedev threatening the west with nuclear attacks, and Russia doing something suspicious at the Enerhodar nuclear plant.

The security services' suggestion that Russia should really really start fighting the war is fantasy - they don't really have anything they can realistically escalate with.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,455 ✭✭✭jmreire

If he hates Britain, then he should live in Putin's Russia for awhile.....!!!

Post edited by jmreire on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

Several Russian telegram channels have started reporting that Robotyne is under Ukrainian control. Hopefully hear confirmation in a few days from the Ukrainians themselves.

I understand they won't be all delivered at once:

Denmark’s prime minister, Mette Frederiksen, said her country would provide 19 jets – “hopefully” six around new year, eight more next year and the remaining five in 2025. “Please take this donation as a token of Denmark’s unwavering support for your country’s fight for freedom,” Frederiksen said.

I'd basically say it was a case of both countries pledging to give Ukraine their F16's when they retire them. So as F35's arrive to replace F16's, Ukraine will be getting the F16's. Certainly better than leaving them to gather dust like Australia's F18's

• Registered Users Posts: 13,904 ✭✭✭✭josip

I would imagine that the Dutch will hand over theirs as soon as possible, even if they have to wait a number of months for them to be replaced by F-35s.

MH17 hasn't been forgotten.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,278 ✭✭✭thomil

That would indicate that the Dutch aircraft are going to be the first ones to be handed over, as the RNLAF already has 26 F-35As operational, in addition to the 8 F-35s based at Luke AFB in the US and used for pilot conversion training. There might be a few Danish F-16B double-seaters thrown in, as they likely won't be much use for pilot training anymore, given that Denmark has also started receiving its F-35As already.

Good luck trying to figure me out. I haven't managed that myself yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭RGARDINR

The only thing I can see if they do go full mobilisation is make their economy go into full war footing. I mean have most of their industries go to war footing. Full 24 shifts making drones, artillery etc. Close their borders and have their men brought Into the military. I don't know if this will happen but it is probably 1 of the last roll of the dices for Russia. Full on war footing. Hopefully not but it's probably all they can do, I hope they don't but time will tell.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,904 ✭✭✭✭josip

In case anyone hasn't yet seen what Robotyne is like, this is it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,455 ✭✭✭jmreire

Well, in the beginning, it was the thought of what would happen ( public opposition ) if he went full on and made a full declaration of war, that he called it a " Special Military Operation ". So if he's prepared to go the full war footing, means that he has got nothing to lose. Last throw of the dice fo him

That's what I think. He has to go full in now. Either that or give up on Ukraine. I suppose he is been told be those around him, here Ukraine are getting fighter planes now, next it will be bombers they will want, after that they will be asking for..... They could spin it and say Ukraine are been giving fighter planes by NATO and they will bomb Russian cities and say that to the Russian people. I just think it is getting to a point in the conflict for Russia that Ukraine will possibly get the upper hand and there will be no way back for Russia then. So like that if your going to possibly lose why wouldn't you go all in, the way it's going possible Russia will lose but if they got 100% on war footing and they concentrate their economy towards this then Putin/Russia might sadly have a chance and I expect it's getting to a point where this will happen. I think up until the end of September is crucial for Ukraine and then I say we will see then what way Russia will go, hopefully back across their borders but I highly doubt that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,552 ✭✭✭brickster69

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

Russia will have to mobilize for this war and turn the entire country to a war footing.

Even if they did do this i don't how they are going to equip such a force.

Yeah I don't know how hard it is to turn your economy towards this and your industry as well in this day and age. I just think for Russia it's getting to that point either they do this or for their outlook they must be thinking that we could be fully kicked out of Ukraine and the only way to stop that from happening is to go 100% into this and declare it's a war and have our industry and people put on the war footing. In regards to equipping it I suppose if your industry is geared towards it it would be able to equip it, maybe not in regards to heavy tanks etc. Definitely you would think equipment for a soldier but saying that they seem not to be able to do that even now. One of the major lucky advantages Ukraine are having is Russia are not training the people they mobilise to a high standard or really any standard. I think if they had of been training say 250k troops for the guts of 6 months and had them fully trained and equipped the fight for Ukraine would of been a whole lot tougher but luckily that's not happening.

• Advertisement

Putin now finds himself in the situation of (A) Go home and give up the war (not going to happen) (B) Go full mobilsation but totally destroy what's left of his domestic reputation (Russian's will realize the war isn't going great). As well the Russian economy will go further to pot as everything is directed towards war or (C) Negotiate some form of agreement with Ukraine.

Post edited by mike_cork on

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement