Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas Off Topic Chat

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,269 ✭✭✭✭DvB

We're camping in Fermanagh, a tad damp is all I'll say.

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Some weather over night. Lots of damage done in Dublin. More damage done in this storm rather than other ones we had in the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,248 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

Home Alone on Film 4 at moment, anyone seen it before ,anygood?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,559 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Never heard of it- let us know if it's any use. 🙂

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭Smell the glove

Question for everyone. Our child will be 14 months old at Christmas. The room we put the tree in is small enough and we are afraid that she will either rip it apart or get her hands on something small and swallow it. So we are thinking of getting a guard for the tree. Question is have any of you done this before, are they worth it and can you recommend any? The ones I've seen on Amazon look quiet small. Maybe that's all you need? Any help would be appreciated 👍🏻

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

From experience at 14 months I think you’ll be fine. 26 months you may need to consider the guard then.

She's walking with aid of a stroller already 😮

• Registered Users Posts: 5,872 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

Ours always ignored the tree. They did not like the feel of the branches (fake tree) .

We had no need for a guard. Each child is though.

You could always (if a fake tree) put the tree up early minus decorations and see how they react and decide then if you need a guard before decorations go up.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the replies by the way!

I was supposed to say "each child is different though" 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭pigtail33

Bit of a disaster of a day for me yesterday. We were one of the unlucky ones to be left with no electricity all day. It was gone for 22 hours and I felt every one of them! Thankfully I have a gas hob, so I could cook and make coffee but I didn't realise how much I'd miss the radio. I always have it on in the background. Power went on the local phone masts too so there was no phone reception or data signal. It's amazing how many times a day we pick up our phone without realising. It came back overnight, so playing catch-up today.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭A cup of te

I cannot survive without music and have a big cd collection so I have a supply of those big batteries to keep my ghetto blaster (as they used to call them) working if the power goes out ;-) also, bought a power bank recently and have that charged up just in case for the phone but if your mobile data was gone it'd be feck all good anyway. I swear I'm prepared in case they ever cut those cables in the sea! You have my sympathy. Our electricity was always going so I said I may prepare! We got a gas camp cooker thingy too in case.

Messaging from sunny Tramore and not feeling a christmassy right now ;-) I'm roasting! I said I needed to see it at least one more time this summer before the nights close in.

Edit: I should add I only bought those batteries for the ghetto blaster last year because they were on about rolling blackouts and I was determined that I would be playing my Christmas CDs no matter what! Got lots of battery powered Christmas stuff too. Safer!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭pigtail33

I got a powerbank for Christmas last year as we've had so many power cuts in North County Dublin. Some of my neighbours even switched to a gas hob it was happening so often. I have a wireless lamp and plenty of torches, so I thought I was well prepared. It's never been gone for that long before, so I didn't realise how much I'd miss the radio. I just use Google Homes as a radio, which are obviously useless with no internet or power. Might have to get a small battery powered wireless next.

No-one knows why the phone signal goes too, surely the masts should have battery backup?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,475 ✭✭✭Heroditas

We haven't managed to get down to Tramore at all this year. Spent two months every year there in my childhood during the summer. 🤗

Just back from Tramore. Went out there for a few hours. I recommend the burger shack that is next to Brooklyn restaurant. Cheap and absolutely delicious.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,319 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Had a great few days in London, Done Twicekenham stadium tour and World Rugby Musuem, went too see a few Ted Lasso sites in Richmond and tried a 'real pork pie' from Borogh Market. Wembley Stadium is such an amazing place and The Weeknd was amazing. Back for round 3 next Sunday for AEW All in at Wembley Stadium again. I know a good few Boardies are making the trip over too

Reckon ill go for a OFAH xmas jumper this year, also will try watch all the xmas specials again this season

Hope youre enjoying the deise @Smell the glove

• Registered Users Posts: 30,495 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Well I went to Brown Thomas.

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭BK5

Took a spin over to the Range in Maynooth today and picked up a couple of the first decorations of the year. They didn't have tons of stuff out yet but they did have plenty of cushions, duvet sets and fleeces out.

They have the usual area cleared where all the trees and bigger items go and had about 12 undecorated trees out so in the next week or two the place will be fully lit up.

• Advertisement

Boots have sent out their advent calendar email and Smyth's have the Lego ones on their site (might still be pre-order but they are coming)

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭A cup of te

Exact same here in Kildare over the last year. The phone signal goes when the power goes. Have had to go into the office a few times when I was meant to be wfh and was grateful I didn't have an electric car that needed charging to get there. We are also regularly without water here over the past year. This year it goes probably once a month for at least 24 hrs . Absolute joke. So I have lots of supplies of batteries, power bank and bottles of water!

Speaking of places in Tramore, I had a big bag of chips from Massimos. I am convinced everything is better value in Waterford.

It was a toss up between Tramore and The Range for me today. Good to know they have some stuff out :) I'm loving the pics from BT. That's also on my list to have a good day out in Dublin city centre and call in there. I was looking at their site and I'd like those Canterbury lights for my tree but I'm thinking they'll appear in Lidl or Aldi for cheaper in a few weeks. I am liking some of BTs stuff this year though.

I'd love to visit London again. I appreciate their love of pies in England :) never had a pork pie. I'll bet it was nice. I will make it my business to visit when the Bowie exhibition comes back there in 2025. I bizarrely started following Aston Villa during the lockdowns to keep myself amused so I'd like to see them and I believe Birmingham has a great Christmas Market so always fancied getting to a winter match to take in the market. Anyone ever been to that market?

Edit: liking the assorted baubles behind the crackers in freshpopcorn's post

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭gidget

I was in on Saturday, was wondering if any other Christmas boardsies were in close proximity to me 🙂

I got two of the little fluffy owl decorations that were €6 each & doggie crackers for my dog that I thought came in the box when I saw them on the website, but came individually & were also €6 each.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,269 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Back in the office after our camping trip away over the weekend and its great to see so much life in the forum again with multiple threads active. A real sign that the most wonderful time of the year is nearly here.

Not sure I'll be around as much for the build up this year, with work being the way that it is (& will be for the foreseeable) its not looking like I'll have much time to spend perusing the internet, but will try to check in when I can. We have a lot going on at home too at the moment so time is in short supply, but I suspect I'll be drawn to here when I do get a chance.

On a side note, couldn't believe how dark it was when I got up at 5.45am today, nice clear morning but was practically night time... give it another week or 2 and I suspect I;ll be driving in to work in the dark.

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

And before you know it you'll be "Driving Home For Christmas" 😁

Our Brown Thomas purchases. I think it looks better in reality.

Vintage

The rest

Oh wow I love them all. Great buys!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭ClaudeVercetti

Wow they're done really well! When I heard they'd have a vintage collection I found it hard to imagine how they'd put their spin on it

Advertisement