Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TII light rail projects update - July 2023

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,471 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Morehampton road, Anglesea Road, the junction of Kevin and Patrick Street, the junction at Christchurch etc. Plans show 4 to 6 fmcar lanes including turning lanes and pedestrians reduced to almost nothing. Design guidance tells us we don't need more than one general traffic lane per direction but bus connects contradicts that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭KrisW1001

Before 2020, Cork city had two authorities running it: Cork City Council does understand urban public transport; the County, less so, and the County was in charge of places like Ballyvolane, Togher and Douglas, which are de facto Cork City (actually, I’d argue that the further from the centre you are the more you need public transport).

Cork might be a hideous place to drive in, but only some of that is down to the streets, and in any case it is not going to change. In fact, it shouldn’t change. Instead, we need to put better public transport in place so that people can give up trying to drive in and out.

I’ve only really looked at Bus Connects as it affects my part of Cork, and I think there’s a lot in there that’s good... Including the change that will make it much more difficult for me to drive into the city centre: it’s personally bad for me, but it will be good for the city, so I’ll live with it, and as I am on a bus route anyway, anything that would make the buses arrive on time would be positive for me in the long run.

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭BagofWeed

Sorry Kris but I have to disagree regarding the council's attitude's to urban public transport. Marrakech has better public transport planning than Cork. Cork City Council's only interest in urban public transport is to fill the coffers of those who supply traffic lights.

Only the top of Bally-V from Murphy's Rock pub was in the county, the part with the Kinvara link road and only Douglas/Togher below the Tramore river, that part of Douglas would make any planner laugh, useless mess.

Even if some of the streets were one way it would improve traffic.

Currently BC for my area would make the journey way longer and add up to ten extra sets of traffic lights to the journey. The fact it links the shopping centres would have made it worth it but seeing as the original plans which would have made the journey faster have been scrapped then it will be next to useless, sitting at traffic lights for 35 mins whereas now I can sometimes be at the bus station in 7/10 minutes at the moment with only 4 sets of traffic lights.

Cork will never change.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,471 ✭✭✭cgcsb

I didn't observe any public transport in Marrakesh when i was there last year but I'm told there's a short brt line in the suburbs with 5 stops. It certainly is no Cork in terms of PT.

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭BagofWeed

Alsa buses. They turn up on time. Never was one late that I was waiting on.

• Advertisement
Advertisement