Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTÉ admits paying Tubridy €345,000 more than declared

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,630 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

front of the Irish Mail : RTÉ will NOT chase Tubs for the 150 K ...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,192 ✭✭✭squonk

It occurred to me this morning that it’s maybe quite a dark day for Tubbs today. His name is being wiped from the schedule and somewhere reality must be starting to creep in.

I’ve moved around jobs myself a bit over the years. I e worked in places though where quite a few have been there since they left school or college and are now heading into their 50s never having worked anywhere else. In part envied then for being able to stay at a job they liked for that long. The places I’ve liked always seemed to go to the wall at some stage so I couldn’t stay out I got laid off.

equally right I’ve also felt really short for those people because they are so caught up in tge system sbd culture where they are that it would be very difficult to change being somewhere else. They also don’t have a few recent-ish CVs lying around so if the worst happens they’re starting from scratch. They’ve also not done an interview in years. A post college/school interview is different to one at sn advanced career stage and, even if they weren’t, the whole recruitment pieces would have moved on so much.

Im assuming Tubbs got his start in RTE in a fairly handy way and after that was kind of sponged and shoehorned into plum positions. It does seem that he has Pele in there who looked after him. The smart thing to do would have to have been a company man, rolling with the punches, taking the pay cuts and carrying on. I’m assuming he was staff at one time. I’d have held onto that or, if they wanted me to go contracting for tax purposes, I’d have had a clause that in could jump back at my choosing even if it meant taking a negotiated cut. It looks like another case of you don’t electorates The things you get too easy.

Don maybe today, but at some stage over the next while reality is going to hit home and I’d imagine Tubbs may have some quite dark, soul searching days. I do feel sorry for him and hope he has some good friends and family around to support him because it’s not easy, no matter what you think of him professionally.

• The 9 O’Clock Show, how imaginative a title. Why not something like “Blow the Cobwebs” which would allude to light/comic/trivia content. No farm though in keeping “talent” names out of shows. Ray F’Arcy’s could be known as “The Afternoon Show”, Claire Byrne could be dine “The Today Show”.

However I’d like John Creedon to keep his name on his show, he’s not got undue notions and has a particular brand of knowledge of music, culture, folk history, and besides he always reads out my mentions 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭jmcc

The word "Blow" has some unfortunate connotations in RTE. It is slang for cocaine. :) RTE needs fewer branding problems rather than more.

Regards...jmcc

Post edited by Boards.ie: Paul on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭artvanderlay

People just listen out of habit. You could put Dustin the Turkey on in the Tubridy slot and he'd get the same listenership (probably more). As for D'Arcy, a transition year student would be an adequate replacement for him. Same with all of the fluff presenters on RTE. Joe Duffy is at least fluent in the bollocks that his mental audience want to hear, but he's like Alex Jones for old biddies; hardly something to be proud of.

• Advertisement

I'm sure the massive sums of money he has milked from the public for doing sfa in nepotistic gigs over the past few decades will be of some comfort to him, the poor creatur. God love him. I must send him a card wishing him well for the future. I'll have to up the fibre first though. Don't want to send him an empty card at this hard time.

Of course he won't. Won't donate it to charity either. It used to turn my stomach listening to this leech advertising for Vincent De Paul.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,630 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

But in principle - and I realise this is a sensitive question -

is it not a top up payment (taxpayers money) he got off RTÉ for work that he never did??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭stevejr

"So I can keep the dodgy money Noel?"

"Sure didn't I tell ye, I'd look after ye"

What's the reason for being reasonable?

Is that an unreasonable question?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Caquas

His morning show has been re-branded and is now, officially - wait for it! - “The Nine O’Clock Show”.

Oliver Callan delivered a weird sort of tribute to Tubridy. Was that cleared with the DG?

One undoubted benefit from all this commotion- they dropped that horrible, screechy theme song. I would literally turn off the radio the moment I heard that raucous cacophony, on the principle that any show which uses it must be desperate for attention. The replacement music is nothing much but it’s better than chalk on a blackboard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,574 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

Speaking as a Galwayman I take offence to that.

I'm not disputing it, it is a fact. I just take offence that it is a fact unfortunately.

And no, Tubs will not be getting a parade here.

Don't worry. He's probably back in Dublin by now dealing with all those job offers from all over the world. :)

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Ah that will hurt the most. Having your name wiped off the schedule and show title.

RTÉ director general Kevin Bakhurst will not work with Noel Kelly when he is negotiating future pay deals with presenters who are on the talent agent’s books.

Despite an audit of payments to Ryan Tubridy last week finding that Mr Kelly played no role in RTÉ publishing incorrect pay for the former Late Late Show host, Mr Bakhurst said he would “not deal directly” with the agent.

Mr Kelly’s NK Management represents a host of well-known RTÉ presenters, such as Claire Byrne, Joe Duffy, Kathryn Thomas and Doireann Garrihy.

Before the RTÉ pay scandal, Mr Kelly was centrally involved in negotiating contracts for some of the public service broadcaster’s best-paid presenters.

After the shock move of ending contract negotiations with Tubridy, the new director general said during a number of interviews he believed the long-serving presenter had been “badly advised” throughout the controversy. Asked at the weekend whether Bakhurst would work with Mr Kelly on future contract negotiations, RTÉ said the director general made his views clear on Friday during an interview on Newstalk Breakfast.

It occurred to me this morning that it’s maybe quite a dark day for Tubbs today. His name is being wiped from the schedule and somewhere reality must be starting to creep in.

My heart is literally bleeding for him. He only has 5 million in the bank. His diamond shoes are too tight and his tailored Italian wallet is too small to hold all those 100 euro bills.

I'll light a candle for him.

Think that one of the newspapers mentioned that the Tubridy LLS stuff has been removed from the LLS Instagram account too. Basically, everything he had worked on for over a decade or so is being removed. Can't be easy for him. Then again, he was well paid for it all.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 9,192 ✭✭✭squonk

yeah I get it. He did himself no favours and aggravated a lot of people. My point though is that there’s nothing worse than thinking and believing you to of the world but then having it all fall apart and realising how limited your options really are.

Look I thought he was overrated and general rubbish at the job he was doing but his hers came home to rose relatively quickly and while many people would have some exit strategy or an option to jump into another role within a short period, I don’t know if that’s an option for RT. I wouldn’t wish that position on my worst enemy to be honest. There’s a lot of shît that’s bandied around about mental health and it’s particularly bad that certain parties in this whole controversy are playing that card to get out of any trace of accountability, there is a big toll in sitting at home while your friends are at work. Knowing that you’re unemployable in your current state makes things even worse.

Nk is the missing piece to most of your questions, maybe if he was unrepresentated he would have rolled along

I guess if you want the big money you must go contracting and accept the job security risk and wads of cash

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭z80CPU
    Darth Randomer

Nk would like to be unrepresented because Nk is unrepentant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭yagan

From this mornings radio show as reported by the examiner

“And, in the heel of the hunt, he’s not a hated figure. He’s not cancelled, he has opportunities aplenty, and we sincerely wish him well.

“He will be back because there is a home always for Ryan’s experience and his mischief, and that Jiminy Cricket personality hopped up on jelly babies or whether he’s swearing at Fanta bottles, doing dodgy Jimmy Stewart impressions – terrible karaoke at times – and the whole history of Holy Moley mugs, worshipping JFK and Morse and history of course, elbow patches and puns.

I thought he was annoying, but I'd say the real underlining problem was he was never loved in the way RTE promoted him. He was emblematic of a publicly funded broadcaster acting like they're star makers.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,616 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Could this next 2 yrs be Duffys last then?

Once his contract is up, perhaps he might retire rather than take a massive pay cut?

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Hyperbollix

You would think that Ireland's foremost authority on all things Kennedy would maybe look into that but, no. Tubs did an interview with an Indo journalist a few years back at the release of his book. She asked him about his Kennedy fascination, his opinions on his renowned sex life and of course the assassination. He actually got wound up about the line of questioning and told her he had no interest in all of that distasteful stuff, it was more about the 60's culture, style, music etc

To call him puddle deep would be an insult to puddles.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,673 ✭✭✭Trampas

NK need to hire a web developer. Taken down the picture of them all standing around as they needed to photoshop a few more out. Brochure gone. They’ve still got up tubs as late late show. Even the great Lottie Ryan still on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭Schorpio

Not a chance. Duffy is stealing a living, and he knows it. Even at half his salary, he'd be grossly overpaid.

If this is indeed a game of chicken, Bakhurst will win. There are no opportunities for these so-called 'stars' at the BBC. That's a scare tactic which has been used (successfully) by NK and his ilk.

When the bluff is called, these people will take whatever's on the table - provided their own inlfated since of pride can handle it.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭noel50

In three months it will be Ryan who if he does not return the 150k everyone will see who he really is not the public persona greed got him in the end the bit dumb and nice act did not work

+1

An "insult to puddles" is right.

Tubridy has shown himself to be as shallow as a worm's grave.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭yagan

I remember seeing his choice of LLS sets that portrayed a US city landscape and was totally bemused as to what that was about. Did he ever really know anything about Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Hyperbollix

I'd say what RT would know about anything could be written on the back of a postage stamp.

Over the weekend, I looked at a lot of Parkinson coverage, some his old interviews, and interviews with old colleagues and friends. Apart from his obvious skill as a broadcaster, the thing that struck me is that he was fundamentally a humble man from a humble background who fully understood how lucky he was and probably for a large proportion of his career, suffered with imposter syndrome. "Can I, a coal miner's son from Yorkshire, really come down here to the big smoke and interview Hollywood royalty?" - This fed into his work ethic and a real desire to give 100% at all times. I'd put Gay Byrne in the exact same bracket.

Contrast this to Tubridy and we have the exact opposite scenario. A man born into privilege, who expected to do well and fully believed he belonged in the role he was bestowed in Irish society, but had neither the humility, decency or intelligence to understand it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,830 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

Still nothing about how RTE can afford to double up Kathryn Thomas with O Se for the Rose of Tralee. I'm gobsmacked if in the current situation they found money to pay for 2 presenters instead of 1.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement