Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump discussion Thread IX (threadbanned users listed in OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,958 ✭✭✭Christy42

Always wonder what happened to these people. Was he always hiding craziness or something that has popped out in old age?

You hear so many stories of formally fine people going down these rabbit holes and coming out bitter and full of hatred.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 21,564 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

its as clear as day what Biden is doing,

Clear as day? Really? Evidence please.

And you might tell us why so many Trump contacts where investigated, charged, prosecuted and convicted by Republicans some of whom were appointed by Trump to lead the DoJ or other organisations.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,628 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

That sounds extraordinary on the face of it, almost as if its a routine he has to follow for taxation claim reasons. If the prosecutors have [most of] them already for prosecution reasons at state or federal level, he'd be better off doing a deal with them and have them do the securing of the documents free of charge and serve discovery documents in court on them when he needs the documents for his defence team. Maybe I'm being a bit naive in that line of thought.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,180 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

I keep saying this in relation to Giuliani, but he wasn't ever that popular amongst a lot of New Yorkers. His popularity outside of that state, and especially the city, was carefully stage managed and largely the product of other people. In many ways he tried to use 9/11 as a booster for his own ends and the work he did tackling the various crime families was mostly carried out by thousands of other people who weren't in the limelight.

Rudi's great at spotting an edge for himself and no doubt believed that he could ride the coat tails of the Trump freak show. But he failed to recognise that it was never going to be about him and Donald wasn't ever going to let anyone else take the stage in a meaningful manner.

Simply put, Giuliani was probably always a self aggrandizing cunt and he's just been caught out this time.

As witch-hunts go, Trump should use his noggin and condemn [by use of smart wording] the woman in Texas who allegedly called the Washington courthouse and threatened the life of Judge Chutkan "you are in our sights, we want to kill you" if he wants to get ahead of the posses tailing him. The woman concerned allegedly used racist words to describe the judge during her interface with the court. The woman has been placed in arrest by the police in connection with her vocal threat against Judge Chutkan.

It's whether he would be wise enough to let his lawyers be his mouthpieces on this and keep his own mouth and thoughts private that will tell, whether a journalist asks the right way to get a self-harming quote from the horses mouth. Trump has his own internet platform to provide the public with his feelings on that.

In this era of dirty tricks, I wonder about the truth and reliability of reports of a alleged leak of the identities and home addresses of the Fulton County Grand Jury members on the internet as a leak of this kind would be useful for more than one participant in the Trump debacle.

Further to the above about heeding advice from his lawyers, Trump has cancelled a press conference he planned for next week to release what he had claimed is "new evidence" of voter fraud in the 2020 Georgia election. “Rather than releasing the Report on the Rigged & Stolen Georgia 2020 Presidential Election on Monday, my lawyers would prefer putting this, I believe, Irrefutable & Overwhelming evidence of Election Fraud & Irregularities in formal Legal Filings as we fight to dismiss this disgraceful Indictment," Trump wrote on his social media site Thursday in announcing his reversal.

My read on this example of Trump complying with his lawyers advice is that they told him they would walk away from him by way of a request to the court to be allowed come off record as his defence lawyers if he went ahead with his news conference. I note his use of the self descriptive "I believe" term in his online statement, not a "we" at that part of his statement.

Post edited by aloyisious on

• Registered Users Posts: 12,074 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Trump cancelling that press conference is a rare moment of common sense, nothing good was coming out it from his POV and for once has listened to his attorneys.

On Guliani, difficult to have much pity because someone who has known Trump for so long should know loyalty is a one way street with him.

Interesting though how the other idiots will do regarding these charges, Trump will milk the hillbillies for donations but the rest will be nervous.

Jenna Ellis for example who was all in "stop the steal" is so screwed its unreal. She made the error of supporting RDS so Trumps team have hammered her non stop and now has to beg for legal fees. Hopefully she can get some sort of revenge though in the next year or so though.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/broke-lawyers-rudy-giuliani-and-jenna-ellis-prove-trump-will-never-run-out-of-marks-to-con

The news that Trump has accused Fox News of conspiring against his re-election campaign with its use of a orange-coloured photo image which he doesn't like must sound like music to his opponents ears. Accompanying that is his declining to take part in the Fox News debate between the other GOP members liking to run for the nomination and letting people know he'll be interviewed by Tucker Carlson instead might, just might, mean there is clear unbridgeable water between him and Fox News Corp and he will be relying on his own internet media site to spread his views on politics and everything else, as he knows it. I'm mindful that a week in politics is a long time.

I had a rethink on why Trump would have declined the Fox News offer to debate with the other GOP candidates and it wasn't solely because he would have a better chance with Tucker Carlson [which goes without saying] in a face to face TV appearance. It's fairly certain that at least one of the others on the debate panel would have engaged with Trump over the Capitol Hill event and that Trump would probably have lost the head and just lashed out talking rubbish on prime time TV. It's a win-win situation for Trump and his fanbase for him to avoid rowing with Mike Pence live on air about the intent behind the request not to certify the election results. I'd imagine that the other candidates would not refrain from adding in their thoughts about Trumps activities resulting in Trump having a meltdown and walking off the debate complaining about a witch-hunt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,684 ✭✭✭Flaneur OBrien

Yup. Presenting Trump in public like that is too risky.

As someone else said, if he can't win over swing voters, he can't win. All he is doing now is the last desperate grift. The only people that will tune into his Carson interview is his MAGA heads. He is using this time wisely, to scrounge every last dollar out of these MAGA heads. Expect his defence

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if he withdraws from the race, after securing the nomination. "I would have won, but those pesky Democrats stopped me from being YOUR PRESIDENT because of their WITCH HUNT"

Speaking of the last grift. IT's not going terribly well as his, "Patriot Legal Defence Fund" was hacked last Friday and is still up and hacked.

https://patriotlegaldefensefund.com/

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,299 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

I'd not be surprised if he gets an cash offer in some form to step back... There are plenty of billionaire donators who I could see make such an offer to buy his debt, buildings or what ever way they set it up for $XX millions basically. He can then continue his grifting for his legal defence (until and after he dies) while the Republican party can continue on and complain about how unfair it all is while actually stand a chance of winning the middle ground voters.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,580 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Trump isn't doing the debates because he doesn't have to. There is no cost to him on avoiding it. His supporters were quick to label Biden as running scared during the 2019 election by avoiding rallies etc (Covid was the reason) but of course when Trump does it is simply his genius.

Second, he doesn't believe he is actually in a race. Why would he bother debating losers? He is not running for the GOP nomination, he is running for POTUS. You hear it all time. Especially that Trump shouldn't be indicted because he is running for POTUS. Technically he is only currently running for the GOP nomination but he doesn't see it that way.

He isn't avoiding them because he is worried he will lose the head. TO think that one has to believe that at some point Trump can see that something he says or does is wrong. We have no evidence that he ever thinks that.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,444 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Donald "The Rapist" Trump will reappear at the debates if/when Chris Christie is gone from the race.

Christie doesn't give a shít and will openly attack him remorselessly.

He'll call him what is is - A Rapist , he'll call him a liar and Trump simply can't deal with that.

He'd either completely lose it or he'd just incriminate himself repeatedly.

Either way Trump comes out looking like a snowflake or he'll have given Smith et all yet more ammunition.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,369 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

He'd have to be careful about under what pretences the money is grifted under. Already in trouble for Stormy Daniels case for using supposed campaign funds for other purposes.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,444 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

I think Smith is going to bring more charges against him for Wire/Mail Fraud in relation to his fund-raising.

He's been moving money between various funding streams and using money donated for one thing on something completely different.

Aside from the "Stop the Steal" fundraising that was not spent on stopping the steal , I saw an article the other day that said that 50% of ALL funds raised this year so far has been spent on Legal fees which may also be a problem.

Technically a candidate can spend campaign funds on legal fees if they relate to his campaign , but not sure if he can argue that the documents case or the E Jean Carroll case are "campaign related"

Doesn't he at least have to employ/use accountants to comply with PAC rules and regulations, keeping books etc to account for the donations and outgoings?

The notion that there'd be several sets of books used to disguise where the donations were going/being used for would mean he hadn't learned from the raid on one of his lawyers, the one tried and sent to prison after more than one set of accountancy books listed as being for Trump's firm was found in his offices in Trump towers some years back.

I'm sure there are lots of things that he's "supposed" to do , but Trump has always seen donations as "HIS" money and as such firmly believes he can do whatever he wants with it.

Look at his history with Charities??

One thing that can [probably] be recognized as factual is that Trump looked at the two parties prior to 2014 and decided that the Dems [with the Clintons there] were not going to be a pushover for him and he chose the republican party because he saw its weaknesses when it came to flimflammery. As to whether he came in with a plan from the start to successfully remake the party in his own image, maybe history and his friends in the dirty tricks Dept will tell the republicans. I don't see history being kind to Trump though it might let the family off with their complicity and promotion of his activities.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,521 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

One wonders how long he will be able to keep his mouth shut before going on a rant?

• Advertisement

A fish would never get caught if it kept it's mouth shut

One can only pray that he doesn't change his spots

Indeed - Is his cancellation of his "Press Conference" on Monday a sign that perhaps he's beginning to listen to his lawyers?

Hard to see him not saying/doing something stupid though.

The big question is , when he does it will any of the Judges actually do something tangible about it??

Given all the practical issues about putting a former President in Jail it's hard to see them revoking bail and sticking him in a regular Jail.

What are the realistic options for him breaking the terms of his bail?

I've been thinking about this myself, is it a staring competition to see who blinks first? Trump being Trump I can't see him keeping his mouth shut because he really believes they wouldn't have the guts to jail him.

The judges on the other hand (wether making a name for themselves or just being genuinely sick of his games) will have to (?) Follow through on any stipulations to his bail? While I don't see him in orange and sharing a cell with someone called Cletus in a prison there could be some sort of house arrest with no access to phones/social media?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,299 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Honestly I'd guess warning, warning, fine, fine because he'll then turn it more generic and hence hide behind "they are all attacking me" rather than "This person in Georgia" kind of attacks.

In Trump's mind, it could be a deliberate ploy to delay and force the move to a federal court, whether it plays out like that is another matter

Whilst I have no truck with the whole argument that he needs to be treated differently angle , were he to break the terms of his bail via Social Media and they put him under some form of House Arrest or even just banned him from Social Media the uproar about "Election interference" would be enormous.

It would be a massive massive step to take by whatever Judge might make the call.

Trumps problem is that he has made his entire campaign about the "Stolen Election" and not about the usual Election things, so removing his ability to campaign on the "injustice" basically removes his entire campaign.

Fines could be paid from any source it seems. Would seizure of assets, including property, as bonds to ensure he complies with court orders be allowable to courts? A restriction naming the Florida Mr-A-Lago estate residence and the Bedford, NJ, golf club villa to be his residences for the duration of the federal trials [with the nod from Georgia's court].

Stop allowing him to drag the presidential coat-trails through the courts as some sort of immunity from prosecution. He's not the serving president. he's merely a businessman now with a record of failures a mile wide. To quote a deceased Irish politician: He's a thundering disgrace.

According to a statement of the defendant on Truth Social, he will go to Atlanta, Georgia on Thursday to be arrested by a radical left DA, Fani Willis. That's very polite considering his varied description of people who've upset him.

In Georgia, the defendant will face a $200,000 bond and orders not to send threatening social media messages as he awaits trial, according to a bond agreement signed by the defendant's attorneys and the Fulton Country district attorney, Reuters reported.

One thing that will face the US, if the defendant is tried and convicted of the charges and put in prison, from that time on every new foreign ambassador to the US may have to visit him in prison to present him with the ambassadors credentials. That'll be something for them to tell the grandkids.

In breaking news, John Eastman has surrendered himself to authorities and was booked into Fulton County Jail. He is expected to have an arraignment set in the coming weeks in the racketeering case.

Post edited by aloyisious on

• Advertisement

A witness has flipped and retracted his statement and implicated Trump in obstruction if justice.

Advertisement