Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Switching electric/gas providers (see first post for links)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,656 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Those rates with Yuno are pretty awful and not the competition we need. And a standing charge of 364 a year is some joke, before all this stuff kicked off my standing charge used to be the cheapest in the market with Glowpower at 127 a year. Electricity companies have been gouging us on standing charges which are supposed to be a fixed cost yet they have been going up and up and up. Whats worse is the so called Energy Regulator came out earlier this year and said they have no power to regulate standing charges. It just farcical to have a regulator who cannot actually regulate. Instead of the govt throwing taxpayers money back at us why dont they just regulate the market properly like other EU countries do. Its infuriating.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,051 ✭✭✭CoBo55

100% The standing charges being different from supplier to supplier is outrageous. When the market was opened to competition all suppliers charged the same standing charge. We're being openly gouged here with no one to complain to, dreadful stuff.

What does this CRU actually regulate? They can't regulate unit pricing, they can't regulate standing charges, what do they actually do? Feck all I suppose...

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

CP link for dual fuel now added to the first post

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭Dont Be at It

Might have missed it... But did you get any more details from them re prices? Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,573 ✭✭✭Gooser14

I note from an article in the Independent newspaper that:

a. A smart meter is not required for sign-up but if you don't have a smart meter they will request ESBN to install one.

b. The bills are issued at the beginning of the month and is based on predicted usage for the month based on usage history. Predictive billing is not something I would want to get involved with.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭glen123

So after signing up using BWG link with no rates displayed last Tue, the 15th, I just got a call from Energia so the switch has gone through. When I mentioned the rates, she said but sure Flogas had removed the link from their website and I must be one of the lucky ones to still get it:)

Emailed Flogas asking to confirm the rates, so let's see.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,656 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

I wonder what the hell the regulate myself as all they appear to be is a rubber stamp service for electricity companies to continue on jacking up prices. They are only there because EU legisilation says they have to be there but they are entirely a toothless regulator. Its the exact same with Comreg, for years they have been letting Eir get away with charging dead people bills and they wont close the account unless the dead person rings them up to do so; 'computer says no'. It has caused chaos for griveing families but the practice continues on to this day and Conor Pope writes his umpteenth article on it and nothing ever changes. Right across the board Irish regulators are basically useless and we all end up paying much higher prices for this incompetence.

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭sector_000

That's amazing. Please explain some more.

Is there anyway to get that rate for a household??

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,036 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Who is offering rates of 9.99c for commercial customers, the cheapest I see for commercial is on a power station tracker one and those rates are circa 22c for a daytime unit. 9.99c seems way to cheap

• Registered Users Posts: 9,051 ✭✭✭CoBo55

I just pretended to be my father 🫣, he had gone into long term care at the time, they didn't know that of course.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭Dont Be at It

Let us know how it goes. I'm in the same boat. Presumably we'd have the 14 day grace period to cancel if the rates aren't BWG rates.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭honda boi

Totally forgot when my contract with Energia expired. Expired in June, only copped it when i got my bill!!

https://www.flogas.ie/flogas-cp-electricity-fixed-1-yr.html

Flogas CP offer unit rate seems crazy good. 0.30 cent per Kwh . Is there a catch? am i missing something? Current price i have been paying is 0.48cent per unit

Bill shows my meter as MCC01 so assuming i can sign up to the flogas CP offer

• Registered Users Posts: 29,987 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Sign up online, if it goes through it goes through. Don't phone to try to sign up.

Also the rates are fixed for the 12 months. So if (big if) the general rates fall and other companies reduce rates, flogas won't.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

I’m not sure when the link available on the flo gas website, it’s more of an invitation link to employees of certain companies

The internet isn’t for everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭podge3

I had the exact same conservation earlier. I told her the offer was available again and she didn't really pursue the matter other than to offer me a 20% discount. I can't remember the Energia day rate with the 20% discount but the night rate was 20c, a long ways from the Flogas 14.5 and even longer away from the 8.5c on Energia's EV rate from last year.

Edit: she also told me I'd be hit with the €50 exit fee as I'm going a few weeks early 😯

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭linthum

hi just confirming that flogas cp plan is non-smart plan for newly smart meters installed? i have mcc01 on the bill

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭glen123

Yeah, they'll hit you with 50eur even if you leave contract 1 day early. I was lucky that they processed my switch on the 18th (I applied on the 15th with contract ending on the 17th) but I was prepared to take a hit either way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,573 ✭✭✭Gooser14

• Registered Users Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭honda boi

Thanks Odyssey,

Just signed.

Big relief to go from 48cent to 30cent!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭kucyk

I'm currently with BoardGais and I have just signed up for the Flogas CP tariff, the switch will save me €600+ (coming from 0.1139/170 gas and 0.3758/282 electricity) and that's after paying the early termination fee.

I doubt we will see kWh unit going a lot lower than 0.2999 this year, especially with the credits coming up and how greedy those energy suppliers are. I was paying 0.34 to BoardGais last year and this was one of the best if not the best tariff on the market.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭bigboss1986

Just signed up online to BWG offer.I have smart meter activated but even with the rates from previous post I will be saving 40-50 every 2months.

Email from flogas arrived within minute or two that they got my application.Not time to sit and wait.

Thanks to whoever found that deal.

hi does anyone how to check meter reading, need to enter the reading on flogas signup page

• Registered Users Posts: 2,998 ✭✭✭xabi

Just signed-up to the CP Dual package, is the BWG the same?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 noonamer

Hey folks, should I wait until OCT for switch, considering prices might be reviewed?

And what is difference between CP and BWG, looking only for electricity without smart meter

Post edited by noonamer on

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭bigboss1986

Open your box where meter is and give all numbers except thise in red(old meter).

On smart meter press left button 3 times and you will see total usage.Check YT video if not sure

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭Busman Paddy Lasty

Is that priced before DuoS, ToU and imperfection charges?

Or is it the actual end price before vat?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,546 ✭✭✭wassie

I doubt we will see kWh unit going a lot lower than 0.2999 this year, especially with the credits coming up and how greedy those energy suppliers are. I was paying 0.34 to BoardGais last year and this was one of the best if not the best tariff on the market.

Not the best by far. I'm currently with BG until end of Sept with 40% discount - 0.2899

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭sector_000

Yeah, the catch is you are going to contribute to a large swathe of boardsies who are sticking it to the man!

The best way to deal with the high rates of the other utility providers is to leave them and go to Flogas.

Advertisement