Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTÉ admits paying Tubridy €345,000 more than declared

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

That shows a surprising level of self-awareness, one I hadn't credited him with. Maybe he should write a book about Ireland's Mad Men? I imagine Dublin's advertising world was a crazy place in the 1960s.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭RoTelly

What kind of house does Tubs have and how much of a mortgage would he have to pay, and if it is a nice house he can sell it, he is not destitute. I think these people really don't live in the real world.

______

Just one more thing .... when did they return that car

Yesterday

They are looking at the competition VMTV's Seven O'Clock Show and now the Six O'Clock show.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Paul on

______

Yesterday

Listened to that it was grand but he never mention the name of the show, didn't listen to much more.

______

Yesterday

I noticed how RTÉ News put out all of their chat shows that Parky appeared on... it was as if to say look at us we do this as well!

______

Yesterday

• Advertisement

I have a sneaky suspicion that Rose of Tralee festival pay for both Dathí and Katheryn!

______

Yesterday

And when I say they pay, I mean they pay under some terms that has RTÉ pay!

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 5,829 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

• Registered Users Posts: 4,509 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

Nope but its a very good start. Bakhurst simply had to lay down the law to everyone in RTE that there would be root and branch reform and no-one is above reform. Its going to take years to undo the mess in RTE. First big step is refuse to negotiate or even talk to agents. He's made a good start.

Given the slim pickings in terms of actual public sector broadcasting RTE actually performs, there is no reason why the licence fee should be more than 100 euro and the organisation hugely slimmed down.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Caquas

Worth listening to his intro, a complicated balancing act. Don’t imagine there is anything off-the-cuff in these comments. Think blood seeping under the studio door.

Words of praise tempered with phrase like “the lesson is to graciously accept second chances” I.e. don’t be issuing press statements seeking personal vindication when your boss has his back to the wall.

And the guests are what make the programme - “it may not entirely matter who is in this chair”. So true.

New theme song, new email. Is there a way back for Tubs?

More importantly, is there a future for Noel Kelly with his stable of “stars”. Bakhurst is absolutely right to refuse to negotiate with him. How would your boss react if Kelly walked in, said your were an independent contractor and wanted your pay doubled? Plus under the counter baksheesh.

https://www.rte.ie/radio/radio1/the-nine-oclock-show/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭Ahwell

Tubridy offered himself up. All he had do was take the same pay cuts as everybody and not seek preferential treatment. Aside from it being a **** thing to do, the chances of it getting out were too high and the consequences were all too predictable.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭TruthorBust

Dublin Airport are reporting a huge increase in the number of flights arriving from London and LA. Asked to elaborate a spokesman said they believe it is linked to huge numbers of TV and Radio execs flying in to try and sign up Tubridy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

As it happens I understand Ryan has had three approaches from the UK and one from North America.

I think it's unlikely he will go though, more than likely he'll be back on the radio around St Patrick's Day next year. Remember you heard it here first!

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭alzer100

It would not surprise me in the least if Ryan Tubridy were to take a significant pay cut even from that 170K negotiated with RTE and present Today FM's Mid-Morning slot, hosting a 2-3 hour music formatted program. Mark Cagney did something similar to this during the early years of 98FM. The reason I point to Today FM is due to the fact that it has nationwide coverage and it could be used as a vehicle to relaunch Tubridy as a music driven format presenter. In that way he is not in direct competition with RTE or Newstalk and the folks at Bauer Media could view this as an opportunity to hire Tubridy at a significantly reduced rate. I think there are VERY limited opportunities for Tubridy regarding talk radio formats such as RTE Radio 1 and Newstalk but he does have a following, and of all of the radio stations out there Today FM is the one that stands out for me. I don't think any of these organisations have approached him yet as even his new negotiated salary is not commercially viable for them.

I don't see him gone tbh, but I think he may disappear for a while out of the public eye (that's what I would do) and then of course it's about what maybe offered to him and what he is willing to financially conceed.

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭pauly58

Friends of ours were invited on RT's radio show, they ran a clay pigeon shoot & she took one of her Labrador's on with her, RT asked what her name was, Purdy was the answer, that's a strange name he replied, a lot of Labrador's are called Purdy, it's the name of a famous shotgun company our friend said, blank look from RT, obviously not that famous our friend told us.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Caquas

If Tubs makes a career in Britain or America, it would be great and I hope it works out for him.

Should our public broadcaster have been paying him a half-million a year? No way!

And I’m not even talking about the dodgy Renault money.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭tom23

Fair play to ya Ryan. A sunny disposition.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,443 ✭✭✭Tow

Tubbs downsized after he broke up with his last partner. He has a small 2 bedroom house. So 'should' have no mortgage and made a few bob after the sale.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,921 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I saw Ryan getting off a bus last week. He looked very shocked and unhappy.

Ah yeah, it has been a very tough time, of course he's a bit shaken by it. He has got a lot of support from listeners/viewers though.

• Advertisement

I do believe Ryan will want to come back to RTE but don't doubt he has options. As you might see on another thread, several people involved on the Second Captains podcast make €110k per year. In all seriousness there's no doubt Ryan is a bigger name than those guys were when they started, talented as they were and are.

Kevn is playing with fire here a bit. There's no doubt Ryan would have a huge listenership and it'd consist of people who would have been listening to him on RTE previously. Kevin will regret it if Ryan proves to be making more money elsewhere, doesn't need to come back and keeps all the RTE listeners.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭stevejr

Jaysus you're verging into yer wan Meghan Markle-type gaslighting. Suppose he'll be getting Dior modelling deals next. Where did you ''understand'' this from exactly?

What's the reason for being reasonable?

Is that an unreasonable question?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭bladespin

I really doubt the Ryan's listeners are anything like that loyal, there's a couple of the presenters who could actually argue that (JD maybe???) but his target audience wouldn't fall into that category.

I wouldn't doubt for a second that 20-30k a month would pay €5 a month for 20 one hour podcasts in the style of his radio show. Podcasts are relatively cheap to make, I would think Ryan would quickly be back to the earnings he had when he breathed new life into the Late Late show. It'd certainly earn him far more than €170k. I really wonder if Kevin understands the level of risk in what he has done.

Ryan isn't all about money, but no one can blame him if he goes and does his own thing after almost being treated by a criminal by those who should be most grateful to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,640 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Tubridy has earned around €10m if not more over the last 20 years from the public broadcaster for working for what a max 20 hours a week.

He just needed to come in and talk RTE paid the minimum wage reachers to do all the hard work for him.

He can take that sad face and shove it up his arse.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭artvanderlay

So Ryan has 3 approaches from UK and USA but he won't go and will then end up back on RTÉ. That would be very strange.

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭TruthorBust

There once was a fella named Ryan

Who one day ended up cryin

It was all his own fault

Cos the daft idiot thought

He arranged a private deal with Renault

Even with the exit of Dermot from Dermo and Dave, I think Today FM will be happy with their line up cannot see them move Dave over for Tubrity who failed in that slot on 2FM.

Only place I see him is either taking over on Moncreiff or Lunchtime or being sandwiched between them.

______

Yesterday

• Advertisement

Why would he regret it? Tubs is allowed make money elsewhere, this has been one of the issues over the years RTÉ wanting to hold on to presenters when they could give others an opportunity and allow presenters make the move away from RTÉ if it is available to them. I don't think that diminishes RTÉ or a presenter it just means that RTÉ can only go so far and if the presenter wants more they have to consider moving. I see no problem with this, I don't think anyone does.

I would also say it should be of benefit to established stars because RTÉ maybe able to give them a bigger budget on a quality produced programme, with strong researchers, writers and background staff, something that commercial stations may not be able to provide.

If Tubs can move on from this more power to him. He will possibly need some time and let him have that time.

______

Yesterday

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement