Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aer Lingus Pilot Training Programme

Options
  • 31-07-2023 9:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭Designator

Heard about this fully sponsored Aer Lingus pilot training programme today, going to chance my arm and apply , no harm in trying. But curious if anyone knows any extra details about it? I know the training is 14 months in Spain and it says you get a small allowance while training but just wondering what this is exactly? It’s fine to get free training accommodation and meals but like myself if you have a mortgage to pay back home is this allowance going to be anything sufficient? Just curious

Post edited by Tenger on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Staunton96

Allowance is minimal (you get accommodation and food), between 100-200 a week. So you won't be able to pay a mortgage - you'll need to save up for it I imagine. But go for it anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Nova160

Would anyone know the pay scale in aer lingus for first officers

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭Designator

Starts at 70k rising to 90k and captains start around 130k rising to 180k

They seem to be on a big drive to encourage more female candidates, I suppose to have a wider choice of suitable people. I believe the raining is in Jerez where the prevailing good clear weather speeds up, at least initial hour building.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭airy fairy

Aer Lingus first officers are 45k to 55,520k.

Info is available online.

Ryanair is similar.

I know someone personally who has recently taken a job with this type of salary.

• Advertisement

I must have read different somewhere . That’s a pretty low salary for the job even if it is starting salary , train drivers are paid more

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭airy fairy

I presume there must be a theory behind it somewhere , probably committment and how someone isn't being a pilot for the craic. It's a long hard slog, and long unpaid hours of training, both academically and in the skies.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭sailing

There is an incremental payscale in Aer lingus which starts at approx €55,000 basic salary for a newly qualified First Officer. This rises to a max of €206,000 basic salary for a Captain.

You also earn sector pay, which is a payment for every flight that you complete. That would average an extra €10,000 per annum tax free for both a captain and First officer.

You also earn a bonus for every hour you fly annually above 620 flying hours. So, if you fly a full 900 hours you can expect to earn a further €21,000 a year for a First Officer or €28,000 for a Captain.

You will also receive a defined benefit pension which is worth a contribution by Aer Lingus to you of 21% of your basic salary annually.

You will also receive an allowance of €60 per annual leave day you take and you will be paid for any time away from your home base.

As a captain with 24 years total service as a pilot in the company you will earn approx €250,000 plus a further €29,000 in pension contributions. There is no differentiation between a long haul or short haul pilot. You all earn the same.

As a newly qualified fresh First Officer you will earn approx €90,000.

If you go down a path of becoming an instructor, either as a First Officer or Captain you are additionally remunerated.

There is an ongoing pay process in progress at the moment where it would be expected that the above figures will rise by a moderate percentage. Pilot pay in the United States for example has just returned as the highest paid profession in the country, having recently overtook the Medical industry. This is in part due to a pilot shortage over there which hasn’t hit Europe as severely as yet. Many operators around Europe are increasing pay significantly at the moment.

Its a good package for anyone interested in a flying career in Ireland. The competition for a place on a cadet scheme is intense, and only a very small percentage will be successful. From memory approx 5000 applied for 12 or so positions last time around.

For anyone interested in the career it is welcome to have the opportunity to apply for a fully funded training programme which would normally cost well over €100,000 to complete on your own in a similar training organisation.

Post edited by sailing on

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Staunton96

Thanks for this message and detail you went into.

I just want to point out though that as far as I'm aware, basic 55k would be true for a DEFO (non type-rated). This is not the case for cadets, who will be on considerably less to "pay back" the cost of the integrated training school in FTE. What that figure is exactly I don't know, but it's quite a way from the amount quoted.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,173 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Any realistic chance of a fit, healthy 47yo with 6/6 vision, looking for a career change, getting on the programme?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Lustrum

Just to correct some of this - the cadet scale starts at a little over €42k and you stay on it for a couple of years to essentially repay the cost of your training. As someone else pointed out, the DEFO scale is close to €55k, as a cadet you would join that at year 3 I think it is.

Sector pay is split into taxable and non-taxable portions, and is different depending on the routes you fly ie. different rates for UK, European, Canaries and Transatlantic.

The "bonus" pay figures are overstated in this post, if you max out as a first officer you're looking at about €18k, which is taxable.

Pension and annual leave payments are correct.

If you work yourself silly, you'll make about €90k after 5/6 years, no chance of getting near that when newly qualified.

There's no point in going into this thinking you're going to be creaming it in straight away, you won't. It's great money after a good few years in the left seat, which at the moment is probably 10/12 years from joining the company.

If you can, find someone who works for them and ask all your questions. Undoubtedly this is the best cadetship going in Ireland, and will get you the best flying job if you want to be based in Dublin.

Best of luck to all who apply

• Registered Users Posts: 7,888 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

slight tangent, my daughter (not school leaving age yet, but slowly getting there) finds the idea/ job of a pilot very interesting.

My question though is whether the cadetship is limited to irish based candidates or can folks living abroad also apply? She has an irish passport in case they are just discriminating on basis of passport rather than residence.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Astral Nav

It's not strictly Irish based, lots of nationalities there who came from elsewhere. Having an Irish or EU passport is the main thing.

She's not old enough yet but AL are VERY keen to attract female candidates as is clear from the advertising.

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭giseva

Having submitted my application and uploading my CV, I received a link to submit a formal application, and upload a CV again.

This formal application has some questions about candidates education and flying experience, if any.

I have a level 9 PGDip, yet the drop down menu doesn't give options in terms of the NFQ. I'd imagine the odds of getting a place is comparable to a lottery win so every detail counts.

Although my qualification is at Masters level (30 creds short) I don't want to put Masters in case it goes against me. Similarly, I have a higher level than the other option of Bachelors degree so I don't want to select that either.

There is also a yes/no question about aviation experience. I don't have commercial aviation experience yet I was a member of the Irish Air Corps for a number of years, working in a service support.

The stress 😅, not what you want for a prospective pilot.

Could anyone offer any guidance?

They advertise this as a position that’s for everyone and you don’t have to have any previous flying experience but from the questions and the online assessment it’s fairly clear that in reality they only want people that have previous flying experience or some sort of licence already. Disappointing

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭CoisFharraige

Not true whatsoever. They do this to collect the info because previously they did it in person at the group assessment stage.

Flying experience is completely unnecessary, but could strengthen your application. It is just about the individual sitting in front of them and how they perform in the assessments. Previously people have gotten through with zero hours and with a PPL.

Ádh mór gach duine!

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Shoden

Any idea when the assessment results will come out?

Also, how did people find the assessments? Found the verbal reasoning tough.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Michael132

Verbal reasoning was tricky, I also found deductive logical thinking tricky but got the hang of it half way though. The rest I found grand. Fingers crossed now and wait till the end of the month or early next month for results. GL all

Think everything else went well for me except verbal reasoning. That part didn't go well at all.

• Advertisement

Some of the questionnaire part threw me a bit. Hopefully not too long of a wait for results. Fantastic opportunity for the few that make it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭Beersmith

I applied weeks ago but didn't get anything about an assessment. When did this happen?

They are probably still working through applications. I received a link to the online assessments Friday gone, and was given 72hrs to complete from time of email.

Is there any other conversation going on about this elsewhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Michael132

Not from what i can find, 1 or 2 comments in the 2019 thread. V quite this round

• Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭GTTDI GOD

Just over on pprune, that’s the only other conversation I can see.

Thanks, I'll look for the conversation on pprune.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭CoisFharraige

Anyone hear anything

• Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭GTTDI GOD

We won’t hear anything for another week or 2

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,197 ✭✭✭MarkN

Declines gone out today.

Advertisement